Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Adding Users to Groups in Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Adding Users to Groups in Security

Jay,

This is harder to determine the problem because we each have different security settings set. Have you tried it without the variables pointer in other words request.username instead of request.variables.username? I would also suggest using a different name than request since the request variable has a predefined use. What is the error message that you are getting? What are your security settings, take a screenshot.

Rod

Comment

Thanks, Rod.
      I will be traveling for the next 15 hours, will respond back when I test this further.
      Jay
      Jay Talbott
      Lexington, KY

Comment

Hi folks, I’m a new A5 user and just started using V10 a week ago. I can say that I really like it so far with some exceptions. One is that I cannot find a comprehensive document to help me setup proper user access for many types of users with many types of access privileges. I’ve seen several postings around the forum that discuss with each addressing it piecemeal. It would be nice if the community and the A5 folks could work to address this.

I am by no means a developer, I cannot write a line of code to save my life, and would just consider myself a business analyst from the point that I can identify where a problem exists and how a software solution would provide productivity gains. That said, I’d like to share my thoughts on what I was trying to picture as a simple but scalable user access setup that could help folks who need more granular access privileges than what A5 provides out of the box. By out of the box I mean not having to scour the A5 forums to figure out how to setup more advanced user access policies.

It would be nice if the community could come up with an “open source” type of setup that could be added on to the A5 application for those that need a more advanced setup. I’d love to get a conversation started towards that end.

What I was thinking (again, I’m not a developer but bear with me) was a simple relational database design like so:
        Basically you would have the following tables:

1. Client
        * Holds value for a client, company or other unique entity. In most cases it would be company or client.

2. Client User
        * Holds value for users associated with a particular client in the Client table. Each user would only be associated with one client, so if you have a situation where a user must be associated with two more more different clients then I would just setup a user for each client.

3. Access
        * This is where I would setup a small number of access types to use across all users. I would imagine the following access types:
        ** Client Admin - All privileges bestowed
        ** Client User - Limited read and write
        ** Client Reader - Read only
        * I would tie these to three groups in A5.

4. Scope
        * Here is where Clients, Users, and Access types can be combined to provide a more granular access setup.
        ** A scope could be a department or project or team.
        ** Each scope could be defined with one client many users and a particular access type for each user. See the Venn Diagram attached to get an idea of the many many scope variations one could come up with to store in the Scope table.

The A5 developer could administer the Client, Client User and Access tables while a client user (an admin in this case) could administer the Client Users (of course only users tied a particular client) and Scope tables.

Where I am getting stuck is how to apply a setup like this to A5. For example, what I had in mind was creating a session variable tied to a ClientUserID that then gets matched to a ClientID.

What are your thoughts?
        Last edited by josevelez; 11-11-2010, 08:36 PM. Reason: bad formatting :(

Comment

Sounds sort of like a wish-list item than a question. You are better off posting a new thread in the future rather than tagging to the end of an existing one. You can do what you want, but not in the way you want. And you're right, it's not easy.
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Hi All

One simple question

Has anyone actually got this Group issue to work yet using a grid, on the web server, not locally?
            If so, would someone please be kind enough to enlighten me on how its done.

Toby

Comment

Toby,

Yes, I have gotten it to work. I started this thread with the knowledge that I had at the time. I no longer use the regmasterdemo component because I created something simpler as documented in post #52 on this thread. If you would like to continue using regmasterdemo (which does work) please post your security details so I can see how you have configured your security.

Rod

Comment

Working...
              X