Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

SQL Stored Procedure or User Defined Function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SQL Stored Procedure or User Defined Function

Can I use a Stored Procedure or User Defined Functions, with a paramenter, as my data source for a grid?

I've created grids using SQL tables and Views. In fact, one of my Views joins a table to a user function (the function has no parameter).
    Select * uf_temp1 ()

Now I have a Function that has a required parameter.
    Select * from uf_temp2 (number)

I can't put that Function in a View because from what I can tell, Views will not let me pass in a paramenter to the Function. Even if it did, could I pass in a parameter from Alpha to the View?

Store Procedures and Functions offer such power to create temp tables and do lots of data manipulation before bring back the final dataset. I'd like to use those datasets in a Read Only grid.

Re: SQL Stored Procedure or User Defined Function

I've never figured this out so am checking again for help.

I'm creating a grid. I need to run a sql user function or stored procedure that needs a parameter before it can run:
    ufSample(@parameter)
    upSample @parameter

I have several grids based on sql views. Those views often call user functions which may have a where clause - "select * from ufsample() where ID > 500". That works. How do I base a grid on ufSample(@parameter).

How do I pass the @parameter into a view and/or into a user function?

Comment

This would be sweet to get a lesson on from Alpha Software. Willing even to pay for it.

Comment

I'll bet there is a way to pass in a parameter to a Stored Procedure or User Function then bring back that data into a Read Only webcomponet grid.

Comment

Does anybody know how to use a stored procudere in a database setup??

I want to run a report on this stores procedure
          Last edited by Atta; 08-23-2010, 05:25 PM.

Comment

What database are you using? You can execute sql code using the sql events.
            Bob

function onBeforeSQLCommandExecute as v (e as p)
            'This event fires before an INSERT, UPDATE or DELETE statement on a SQL table is executed.
            'It allows you to compute your own SQL to execute in addition to, or in place of the SQL that
            'Alpha Five generates. You can use this event if you want to call a
            'stored procedure to update your database.
            Last edited by bob9145; 08-23-2010, 11:01 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Re: SQL Stored Procedure or User Defined Function with Parameters

I've run Stored Procedures in an AfterUpdateRecord events and that works great for me.

But I need to pass in parameters to a Stored Procedures (or Function) then use the resulting data in a Read Only grid. The Stored Procedure will do a lot of data retrieval based on those parameters and it's can't do the correct data retrieval without them.

It's common to use Stored Procedures with parameters to retrieve data for a .net aspx page. It there something similar for Alpha Five?

Comment

I have exactly the same problem. I can execute the stored procedure as below in interactive but I can't figure out how to retrieve the returned value:

dim conn as sql::connection

?conn.open("::Name::modiloConnection")
                = .T.

dim args as sql::arguments

args.Clear()

?args.set("TenantId",1)
                = .T.

?args.set("SequenceId",2)
                = .T.

?args.set("NextNumber",99999999,sql::ArgumentUsage::InputOutputArgument)
                = .T.

?conn.Execute("exec NewSequenceNumber :TenantId, :SequenceId, :NextNumber",args)
                = .T.

?args.Find("NextNumber")
                = Data = 99999999
                IsNull = .F.
                Name = "nextnumber"
                Usage = 2
                XML = <SQLArgument>
                <Name>nextnumber</Name>
                <Data Type="N">99999999</Data> <------ NO CHANGE
                <IsNull Type="L">0</IsNull>
                <Usage>InputOutput</Usage>
                </SQLArgument>

/Charles

Comment

I need to bump this post. I really like Alpha Software but still need to figure out this data retrieval issue.

I need to have Alpha pass parameters to a SQL Function or Stored Procedure then display the returned data in a grid.
                  For Example: Select * from ufAnnualCalcuation (@UserName, @StartDate, @EndDate, @CalcMethod)

Currently my grids are based on SQL Tables or Views which retrieve then filter the data. My SQL Views often call Functions but I can't pass a parameter to the Function via the requested View so I'm a bit lost.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

A work around may be to have a Stored Procedure with parameters excecute on the OnGridInitialize event. This SP could insert data into a SQL Table. The grid would then be based on that Table based on the @UserName (and session.UserName). I ran a test to make sure the grid would not display until the Procedure finished, and that seemed to work. (I tested it by adding a " WAITFOR DELAY '00:01:15' " line to the Procedure - if it takes a long time (?) for the procedure to run then alpha will eventually timeout).

This doesn't seem to be the best solution since I have to create a Table to hold temporary data. I would still prefer to retrieve data directly from a Procedure or Function. Still hoping for that solution.

Comment

Ironic... I was up late last night trying to do the same thing. I have a series of views that need a parameter passed in. I can create a stored procedure to do the job and pass the parameter in via xbasic, but there is not way to return the resulting data set into Alpha.

I came to the same hokey conclusion that I would have to write the data into a temporary table. I figured I would create and destroy the table after, but I do like the idea of the post above. I think I could write the ulink value of the user in to a column, then limit the view that way. In this fashion, if two users run the same grid on two different data populations, it would work.

Sending the results of a stored procedure seems to be a programmatic event. A grid wants a finite mapping of fields based on a view from my late night review.

Maybe someone with more SQL has a better solution?

Comment

Thanks for the validation. Using ULink to identify the records inserted into the table, is a good idea since I could eventually have dulplicate user names.
                        I will prrobaby just delete the records from this Table for that ulink, rather than destroy the table, since other users may have data in there at the same time.
                        Again, I'm hoping for an even better solution.

Comment

Basing a grid on Stored Procedure as data source will be available in v11.

Comment

Source?

Comment

Working...
                            X