Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Scan of Driver's License 2D Barcode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scan of Driver's License 2D Barcode

oops--I oddly set your character variable DBB_DOB to equal the STOD value---set instead whatever you need to set to be equal to the STOD()

like: Your_Date_Variable = STOD(EXTRACT_STRING(MEMO,"DBB","DB"))
    Mike

Comment

Richard,
      I will respond a little later with a description of what I was alluding to but in the mean time I tested the following expression which seems to work.

Use this for the calc in the actual date field.
      Code:
      IF(EXTRACT_STRING(Memo,"DBB","DB")="",{}, STOD(LEFT(EXTRACT_STRING(Memo,"DBB","DB"),8)))
      This accounts for the memo field initially being empty. And the extract_string function was returning the carriage return which the stod function did not like.

EDIT: Oops, Left my field names in the expresion
      Last edited by Tim Kiebert; 05-29-2010, 08:31 PM. Reason: Replaced my field names
      Tim Kiebert
      Eagle Creek Citrus
      A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Hi Tim

Your expression works correctly, however now another weird thing is happening.

If I enter the barcode scan data directly into record via browse, the DOB calculation works fine.

But if I enter it via the web page, as soon as I hit the submit button, I get an error message on the DOB field, that says "CAN'T PUT TO CALCULATED FIELD."

Any thoughts?

BTW, here's the link to the form:
        http://pd.serveftp.com/pd/rms/barcodescan.a5w

If you want to see what I'm getting, manually paste the following data into the memo field and hit the submit button:

AAMVA6360030101DL00290197DLDAQS-542-738-870-099
        DAASMITH,RICHARD,WELLINGTON,JR
        DAG26 SAUCER CT
        DAITAKOMA PARK
        DAJMD
        DAK20912
        DARC
        DAS
        DAT
        DAU600
        DAW167
        DBA20110124
        DBB19820124
        DBC1
        DBD20051126
        DBHN
        Sergeant Richard Hartnett
        Hyattsville City Police Department
        Maryland

Comment

I think your DOB field has an expression on the "calculated" property or is being calculated in the query section and at the same time is a required field so you might want to change one of those things
          Cheers
          Mauricio

Comment

Hi Tim

Your expression works correctly, however now another weird thing is happening.

If I enter the barcode scan data directly into record via browse, the DOB calculation works fine.

But if I enter it via the web page, as soon as I hit the submit button, I get an error message on the DOB field, that says "CAN'T PUT TO CALCULATED FIELD."
            Hey Tim just wanted to let you know that your expression is working perfectly. I don't know what was causing the above error message, but I fixed it by rebuilding the grid.

I have another question regarding parsing that I was hoping someone could shed some light on.

Sample barcode extract into memo field:
            AAMVA6360030101DL00290197DLDAQS-542-738-870-099
            DAASMITH,RICHARD,WELLINGTON,JR
            DAG26 SAUCER CT
            DAITAKOMA PARK
            DAJMD
            DAK20912
            DARC
            DAS
            DAT
            DAU600
            DAW167
            DBA20110124
            DBB19820124
            DBC1
            DBD20051126
            DBHN

Presently I'm using the expression of (for example):
            EXTRACT_STRING(MEMO,"DAG","DAI")
            to parse the address from the memo field and similar expressions to parse the other data. This works fine as long as the next field starts with the delimiter of "DAI," which it always does in Maryland. But I just found out that other states layout their data differently. They still use the same delimiters, as that is based on a national standard, but the data doesn't always flow the same way.

For example, in one state, the address field is followed by the Organ Donor field. The delimiter for the Organ Donor field is DBH. Obviously this causes a problem with the "Exact String" expression because it is looking for DAI as the end point, now it does not follow DAG.

So my question is this: There is a set maximum number of characters that can be used in each field, so that will never change and that being the case, is there a similar expression I could use that would still parse the data from the set delimiters of "DAG," "DAS," etc., but instead of using the next text delimiter to indicate the end of the parse, it would only parse the string up to the maximum number of allowable charcters, then stop.

In other words, something like:
            EXTRACT_STRING(MEMO,"DAG",30) or something like that, so that once a space of 30 characters was reached, the expression would know it was the end of the string.

(I know this is not a real expression, but in looking at it you can get the drift of what I'm trying to do.)
            Maryland

Comment

Richard,

Is the list always as you have supplied in post 20, ie with carriage returns or does it come in as in your first post which looks like one line?
              Tim Kiebert
              Eagle Creek Citrus
              A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

It looks like Post #20. The first one was "doctored up" by me to show everybody what data is embedded in the barcode. However my barcode scanner is stripping out the carriage return symbol and entering straight text.

This was done on purpose. When I first started this project, every time I would input data on to the memo field of the web page, the browser screen would go crazy and try to open up all kinds of browser related options. In the end, the only thing that was left in the memo field was the "@" symbol.

To to counter that, the tech from the barcode reader company set the gun so that it stripped out everything but straight text, and the problem disappeared.

And I think I know where you're going with this .......
                Are you going to suggest using the carriage return as the ending delimiter?

I thought about that. I'm not sure how the expression reads, but I guess I'll have to put the carriage returns back in the bar code reader's output first if I'm going to experiment with that. We didn't determine that the problem was the carriage returns, as there are other symbols inserted during the initial data input that could have been causing the problem, but the tech suggested just getting rid of all the non-text characters and trying it. That's what we did and it solved the problem so I just left it that way.

So maybe if I put the carriage returns back in and nothing else, I'll be able to have it "both ways."
                Maryland

Comment

Yes you were right on where I was heading. I did a test and crlf() can be used as the second delimiter.

Instead of putting the carriage returns back is it possible to replace them with something else that would not be in the data. Like a ~ or | or some combination like xzzx.
                  Tim Kiebert
                  Eagle Creek Citrus

Comment

Not sure Tim, but I'm waiting for a return call from the tech at OptiCon, and I'll check with him to see if that can be done.

Meanwhile, here's what the barcode scanner output looked like before we removed all the invisible characters:

@<LF><CR>
                    AAMVA6360030101DL00290197DLDAQS-542-738-870-065<LF>DAASAMUELS,RICHARD,WELLINGTON,JR<LF>DAG26 SEEK CT<LF>DAITAKOMA PARK<LF>DAJMD<LF>DAK20912 <LF>DARC <LF>DAS <LF>DAT <LF>DAU600<LF>DAW167<LF>DBA20110124<LF>DBB19820124<LF>DBC1<LF>DBD20051126<LF>DBHN<CR>
                    <CR>
                    <ETX>

I'm not sure what was causing all the browser problems, but I guess I could play with some different things.
                    Maryland

Comment

Was interested in creating a similar sort of data-base-like "application", can you recommend a source for deciphering certain terms, ie., the following: a.) EMEMEWPFD b.) DBIN c.) DBE

I ask because you seem to be working with the kinds of data that my App would be marketing to those businesses dealing in the level of security above say, "bar bouncers and package good store clerks". Thank you.

Comment

Very interesting Mike.

Unfortunately in my situation things have changed a bit. We are now using an electronic traffic citation program provided by the state, and it has a 2D barcode reader attached to it already. This is both good and bad for my purposes. On one hand the state has taken care of my problem of getting the driver's license data parsed and inserted into the correct fields on THEIR form, but it doesn't allow me to use that data for anything else, like my web based records application.

In this case, the scanner (L-Tron/Honeywell model) is plugged into usb and grabs a port in the computer. The state's software then talks to that port and tells the scanner when to turn on and when to turn off. It also takes the data and forces it directly into their program, then closes the scanner application. According to L-Tron, it would be very complicated to try to re-route that port's data to another application, then switch it back again on the fly, but I am still playing with it so we'll see what happens.

It seems like such a waste to have a $500 barcode scanner sitting in the police car and only be able to use it on one application, and not on the multitude of other forms that we need DL data from.
                        Maryland

Comment

Darrell I'm sorry that I did not notice your post several months ago, and a I swear I wasn't ignoring you!

I got my manual for deciphering the delimiter codes on the driver's licenses by simply performing a google search on "AAMVA Barcodes." The Amercian Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators sets the standards for Driver's License, Registration and other ID barcodes, and their free manual is downloadable from their website at this address:

AAMVA DL/ID Barcode Manual

Or just go here for more info: http://www.aamva.org/KnowledgeCenter/DLIDStandards/

Rich
                          Maryland

Comment

Does anyone have the barcode calibration sheet for each state? We have created the process of scanning driver license and populating infortion directly into forms that are filed at each state. The problem we are experiencing is parsing out the data correctly for each field. We have been able to configure about 20 states, but not all.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                            Rick

Comment

Working...
                            X