Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

cant find named connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cant find named connection

I came back from the AlphaU experience determined to move several apps from DBF to SQL. Converting the tables was easy, simply export to my sql database connection.

I do have a couple questions/problems once I move the database to my server.

- what is the proper authentication for the server - I set it up as windows authentication, which I believe is incorrect.
    - In server properties, should the server log on as Built-in Account (network service, local system, local service) or as a specific named account?

When I attempt to access a grid on the server, I get the error message below. I believe this is due to inability to log in to the sql server.

Error opening Grid table/view: Internal Error - Can't find named connection
    'trinav' - while converting named connection to connection string
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Re: cant find named connection

Steve -

When you run the wizard to add a new connection to your project you should see a for field form that pops up for you to put information into.

Server
    Port
    User
    Password

Server = (local)
    Port = 3306 (<-- this is the default port MySQL uses when it is configured)
    User = root
    Password = <Your Password>

Alpha should create something that looks like this ...

{A5API=MySQL,Server='(local)',Port='3306',UserName='root',Password='����������'}

When you originally configured MySQL you had to choose a password for the "root" and you selected a port. The Server name will change if it is not on your local machine.

I hope this points in the right direction.

CAVEAT: This is the answer if you set your MySQL up with most of the default settings. Alpha doesn't seem to ask for Windows Authentication like it does in the SQL Server connection wizard.

Comment

Steve,
      Are you using Mysql or Microsoft SQL Server.
      If Microsoft, what version, and do you have the Management Console installed on the SQL server?

Ed

Comment

MSSQL Server 2008 with Mgmt Console.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,
          As you know, I'm brand new to Alpha Five and its' "genies" for connecting to SQL, , but I have experience in connecting apps to SQL , so I'll attempt to help you.

1. You can authenticate using either method, or mixed mode - "SQL server and Windows". For your purposes, I'd recommend SQL server using either the default SA account, or a new named login.

2. In server properties, I've always used a "specific named account" for connections. Giving an application access to any of the local accounts opens up the whole server, and should not be required.

3. Often overlooked; Once you decide on the authentication method and an ID and password, you have to manually grant database access for that user or Database Role to the specific database you wish to use. Microsoft describes this in this way;

==========================================================================
          To grant database access

1. Locate the Users folder for the database you want to grant access to, right-click, and click New Database User.
          2. Select the Login name from the drop-down list and click OK. The database user name defaults to the same name.
          3. Select Database Roles, right-click and then click New Database Role.

Avoid granting permissions to individual database users because the database user name may change and/or additional users may require the same permissions. Instead, grant permissions to database roles.
          4. Enter a role name and select the Database Role type as Standard Role. Click the Add button, add the new user you created, and click OK.
          5. Select the new role, right-click, and then click Properties.
          6. Click Permissions. Locate the relevant stored procedures, and grant the EXEC (execute) permission to these objects.

By default, a new database role has no permission to read the base tables or views in the database and cannot execute stored procedures. It is best practice to grant permissions to stored procedures and views because then you can control what users can read and update.
          ==========================================================================
          As an alternative to using Enterprise Manager, you can run the following database script to perform the steps outlined above.

-- Create a new SQL Server Login
          exec sp_addlogin @loginame = 'MyUser', @passwd = 'P@ssw0rd'
          -- Grant the SQL login access to your database.
          -- Create a database user called WebAppUser to which the login is associated
          Use YourDatabase
          GO
          exec sp_grantdbaccess 'MyUser'
          -- Create a user-defined database role.
          exec sp_addrole 'WebAppUserRole'
          -- Add the database user to the new database role.
          exec sp_addrolemember 'WebAppUserRole', 'MyUser'
          -- Grant the role execute permissions on the stored procedure called sprocname
          grant execute on sprocname to WebAppUserRole

I hope you find this helpful.

Regards,

Ed

Comment

Steve,

I was having the same issue when I first started. I knew I had a valid connection string because it was saved, it was in the list of connection strings, I could select the tables and I could build the grids. When I went to run I had the same error.
            I am not sure what happened but the problem went away. Could have been the patch or I think after I published a few times??
            Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

I got it to work. What did I do? I remembered to Activate the database after uploading it from my laptop via FTP.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                I got it to work. What did I do? I remembered to Activate the database after uploading it from my laptop via FTP.
                Hey Steve,

I am having the same problem, "Can't find named connection" after creating a profile and publishing to production from my desktop development environment. (A server that I don't control) You mentioned that you activated the database, could you expand on that a bit. Shouldn't the various named connections get published with whatever profile was created for that purpose?
                Wisdom is foundational, then add to that knowledge

Comment

Hi

I had the same problem on my development machine immediately after I changed the named connection by creating a new one to point to a different MYSQL database with the same structure.

The connection information ist stored in a text file called a5_application.a5i under A5Webroot\yourapp . When I opened that file I noticed that it still pointed to the wrong database, which didn't exist anymore, although I had re-published. I deleted that file and opened every grid and refreshed the connection and the field list , then saved and published from scratch. Then I could connect and the error message disappeared.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by wmz View Post
                    Hi

I had the same problem on my development machine immediately after I changed the named connection by creating a new one to point to a different MYSQL database with the same structure.

The connection information ist stored in a text file called a5_application.a5i under A5Webroot\yourapp . When I opened that file I noticed that it still pointed to the wrong database, which didn't exist anymore, although I had re-published. I deleted that file and opened every grid and refreshed the connection and the field list , then saved and published from scratch. Then I could connect and the error message disappeared.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
                    WMZ,

Not sure how you found this nugget but thanks. It worked. I delete this files and everything else and republished. Do you know of a black box reference for Alpha 5 related items. For example, I discovered that putting a grid on a tabbedUI has problems, but if you put the grid component on an A5W page then put that page on the tabbedUI, it works fine. Very interesting...

Comment

Hi JaxxB

Not sure which problems you encountered with a grid in a tabbedUI, however, I have heard similar before. If it persists, I would suggest to report this as a bug.

cheers,

Wolfgang

Comment

Hey Wolfgang,

Maybe I spoke to soon, the "Can't find named connection" problem resurfaced, after I changes all my "named connections" and republished. I'm sure it's somethings simple. I delete the a5_application.a5i as suggested. Stopped and restarted the a5 app server and republished. Same problem. I wish there was a log of sort, that would provide more details.

Comment

Don't know. Can you access the DB in any of the preview modes? Can you connect the grid in edit mode, i.e. Query (AlphaDAO) section in the grid properties? Refreshed the fields?

If so and it still ain't working when you publish, I'd report a bug.

regards

PS: Forgot to mention the profiles. Updated these as well?

Comment

happening to me too works on preview but not when publishing to the production server
                            and I dont find a way to republish the alpha Dao strings
                            Last edited by mmaisterrena; 05-21-2010, 12:51 PM.
                            Cheers
                            Mauricio

Comment

Try doing a recompile all files and delete the a5_application.a5i file and republish. It worked for me.
                              Chad Brown

Comment

Working...
                              X