Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

"Script Error:'Alpha Five Printer' (for creating PDF, RTF and HTML output) is n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Script Error:'Alpha Five Printer' (for creating PDF, RTF and HTML output) is n

I am reposting this issue, with updated efforts, so that others might benefit from my trail of crumbs and someone might even have a solution. My build is 2731-3538. I use AlwaysUp.

I cannot open reports in my app from web browser. I get the following error:
    "Script Error
    Error:'Alpha Five Printer' (for creating PDF, RTF and HTML output) is not installed. Re-install Alpha Five Application Server"

Reports open fine in the WAS

I have done the following:

I reviewed Steve Wood's post of 09-15-09 "A5 Printer fail after update to V10 patch", regarding this same problem and did not note any final fix. I am hesitant (actually more irritated than hesitant) to go back to V9 WAS.

Cleared cache, ran registry cleaner, restarted WAS, hard reboot.
    No luck.
    Asked Clive of Zebrahost to reinstall everything and check it. He did and Control Panel shows the WAS installed and the printer installed and active.
    Still no help.

I went back through the code from my pages and a5cmps to be sure the version and build were correctly stated. They were.

I took the reports down and created a couple of new test reports. They don't open either.

I followed Selwyn's suggestions from 2/21/10 "Release Candidate for Next Update":
    "You might try:
    1. rebooting the machine.
    2. delete the 'alphafivev4' printer from the printers control panel.
    3. reinstall the app server from scratch
    4. reapply the patch."

Still no help.

I emailed Amyuni and outlined my efforts. Their response:

Hello

If you received the Amyuni PDF Converter bundled within an application, this version of the PDF Converter is a special developer�s version which can not be used as a general PDF printer.

This version of the PDF Converter installed on your system has been configured to function only within the software package which installed it.

Some of the major applications which use are product are Broderbund's Print Shop or Print Master, Intuit's QuickBooks or Quicken and Calyx Point's accounting software package.

If you are having difficulties or need assistance in using the product, we suggest that you contact the technical support department of the software vendor.

Since you are a licensed user of a product that uses our component, we can offer you our Amyuni PDF Converter Suite at a special reduced price.

This version of our product will also allow you to print from this application and from all other applications installed on your system.
    http://www.amyuni.com/en/enduser/pdf.../features.html

You can purchase this product online from the link below or if you wish further pricing information, I suggest that you contact our sales department
    ([email protected])

http://www.amyuni.com/developer/

The other option available is to use our per incident support plan.

The cost of this option is $129 US and we will ensure that you get a resolution to your issue or a refund of the $129 fee. If you would like to use this option, please call our main phone line at 514-868-9226, ext 200 with your credit card ready. You will then be transferred to a developer who will work on resolving your issue. Resolving the issue might involve sending you updated files but this will be covered by the support fee.

Regards,
    Amyuni Technical Support

Any help? Any one?

Re: "Script Error:'Alpha Five Printer' (for creating PDF, RTF and HTML output) is n

I had the same issue with running Alpha five web application server as a service. I had to go back to running the ex at start-up as I noticed that when run as a service no session folder is created. Hope this helps.

See post http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=85214
    Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Re: "Script Error:'Alpha Five Printer' (for creating PDF, RTF and HTML output) is n

Thanks, Frank. I am going to stop AlwaysUp and try running detached. I'll post the results.

Comment

Update:

I reinstalled patches, no help.

I asked Clive from Zebrahost (the best in the business and, clearly patient) to shut down AlwaysUp and restart the WAS not running as a service. No help.

Comment

I hoped that would help. I verified that if I run WAS as a service (not using always up) and set the 'Service Log-In' to 'Service' I get that exact error. If I set the 'Service Log-In' to my 'administrator login' reports are fine, however, like I said earlier no session folder is created. So it seems that there is more than one way to get that error.
          Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Hi,

Did you create a simple app. One table and one report, and create a tab control that calls the report. Make sure that security for the page is set to always allow. Publish to WAS. What happens?

Then, add complexity.

Did you file a bug report?

Trust me there are a few things that I though were bugs and were driving me nuts. Then AHA! and you feel stupid. Ah but humility is good.

Compared to V9 V10 rocks... IMHO

Regards,

Michael Carroll

www.redrocksbluesky.com
            [email protected]
            435-275-5175

Comment

Yep. Did the simple app with one table, one report, one page, etc. No luck. And, you are absolutely right, v10, except for my printing issue, is a better program. I agree, as well, that 99% of the time, these things turn out to be such simple errors that it is humbling. Unfortunately, I have not, in all the efforts outlined and omitted, found that error and time is not on my side.

Comment

Have you set AlwaysUp to run the WAS as a specific user especially an Admin one? If not then it may run as "system" which may not have the right permissions to run the printer driver.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, but, Clive set it up both ways and then detached A5V10 entirely from AlwaysUp. No effect from any of those changes. If there is a Nobel Prize for service and patience, I'm nominating Clive at Zebrahost.

Comment

Originally posted by willobeth View Post
                    If there is a Nobel Prize for service and patience, I'm nominating Clive at Zebrahost.
                    Seconded!

Comment

I'm having this problem right now -- have gone through all the suggestions, but no dice.

Reports are a pretty integral part of the app I'm trying to write, and wonder if anyone has had any luck with this problem.

FYI - I'm working off a VPS from GoDaddy, with Cute.pdf writer as my printer.

Thanks.

Comment

I am also having this problem, but I may have a new clue...

My OS is Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise (64bit)

If Always Up starts the App Server, reports will not print/display

If the App Server is started manually by clicking on the App Server executable, reports work fine.

Interestingly, on 32bit Windows Server 2003, the reports work fine with Always Up.

Something to do with the Operating System perhaps????

Comment

Originally posted by Ezslim View Post
                          I am also having this problem, but I may have a new clue...

My OS is Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise (64bit)

If Always Up starts the App Server, reports will not print/display

If the App Server is started manually by clicking on the App Server executable, reports work fine.

Interestingly, on 32bit Windows Server 2003, the reports work fine with Always Up.

Something to do with the Operating System perhaps????
                          Check vendor that Windows Server 2008 R2 64bits is supported
                          Where did you install Always up ? \program files (x86)

Comment

Amazingly, I've found a solution to the problem.

In Always Up configuration, you can specify that the App Server is run as a specific user.

I configured Always Up to run the App Server as a user who has administrative rights to the box, and the reports now work fine when Always Up starts the App Server.

Comment

I had the same problem and just figured out that the print spooler service is not running on my server.
                              i enabled it, then re-installed WAS, the A5 printer appeared in my printers box. then i ensured that the admin user was set in always up and now it works.
                              (printer spooler was stopped... no clue why, maybe that's default for my hosting company).
                              Lee
                              (hope this helps someone).

Comment

Working...
                              X