Alpha Video Training

Thread: Embedded Browse entry problem

Real Name
    Dave Mac Callum

Default Embedded Browse entry problem

Hi There,

I have this problem of entering into an Embedded Browse.

I attach my db.

To get to my problem :

1. From Form Main_Selection, select Banner Contracts - 2
    2. Select button New Contract (F10).
    3. Key Enter a number of times until you reach Contr descr: Key in a descr of sorts, and Key Tab.
    4. Start Contract Key 01/01/2017. Period Key 1 Year. End Contract will calculate. Date installed key 22/12/2016.
    5. Key Enter a number of times until you reach button Save Rec(F9). Push button. So far, so good.
    6. Select Tab T-Nos. Activate New Record, Select Cape Town from the displayed data.

The Items T-Nos column does not fill-in as it should.

7. Key <Esc> a number of times until you get back to Form Main_Selection.
    8. Re-select Banner Contracts - 2. Select button Last.
    9. Contract Id 14 (the one you have entered) should display.

Select Tab T-Nos. Activate New Record, Select Cape Town.
    Now it fills-in the Container as it should.

What do I need to do to get this to work ?

When you save the Item by button Save Rec (F9) it displays that it is saving, but the "Save Rec" icon remains (bottom-left-screen). It is necessary to active Save_Record(F9) toolbar for it to save properly !! As you can see from the Event Push of the Save Rec button I have tried a few approaches to saving which have been commented out as they have proven unsuccessful.

Any Ideas ?

Looking forward
    Dave Mac

It's not so much what you don't know that gets you into trouble, but what you know for sure, that just ain't so. - Mark Twain.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default Re: Embedded Browse entry problem

Sorry. No can do. Your database is password protected.

Real Name
    Dave Mac Callum

Apologies Tom

Password is Zain
    Dave Mac

It's not so much what you don't know that gets you into trouble, but what you know for sure, that just ain't so. - Mark Twain.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Sorry, your data entry form and field rules are pretty complicated. Don't have time to tear it apart. You have lots of event scripts scattered here and there, including custom OnSaveRecord event scripts and OnTabChange event scripts. I think it would take a couple of hours to fully understand all that's happening, maybe longer. Having spent 45 minutes on it thus far let me mention a few things that may give you some leads:

a) the autofill that's failing is based on a table lookup field rule that's using a table in the current set as source. Suggest you remove that lookup table from set. It's not necessary that the lookup source be part of the set in order for the field rule to work, and it can cause problems. In this case is the set linkage the same as the link field specificatioin in the lookup field rule? Probably not. Might this cause trouble?

b) you may have a corrupted Contracts form. When I begin a new record and follow your sequence the contract_id and other field values in the previous record appear.

c) Your first tab page includes fields from several tables all linked with 1:1 links to the parent table of your set. I think this is dangerous. Tabbing through the objects in the layout causes focus to bounce from table to table. It's not clear to me what mode any of these tables are in when this is happening. Your design violates my personal KISS standard. My rule is simple. Data entry should occur one table at a time. I try hard not to build a form that the user could use to begin work in one table and then shift to another without either canceling or saving the pending edits first. Boring? Yes. A bit tedious? yes. Reliable? Yes.

Hope these ideas help. Good luck with your project.

-- tom