Alpha Video Training

Thread: How do I store a user and populate a date field upon an update/insert via my web app?

Real Name
    Josh Cole

Default How do I store a user and populate a date field upon an update/insert via my web app?

I want to be able to store the UserID of the person editing/updating records as well as populate a date into my CompleteDate field when the Complete checkbox is ticked. Any help is greatly appreciated.

"Certified" Alphaholic chadbrown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chad Brown

Default Re: How do I store a user and populate a date field upon an update/insert via my web

If you are using sql you can set up a field for datetime and use now() or curdate() to set a timestamp for the update alternately mysql you can have a field that is a timestamp field and on update it will automatically set the updated timestamp.
    As for the grid
    Add a field(s) like updated_by and time_stamp to your table and then add them to your grid hide the column(s) and change the type(s)to hidden.

Then in the can update event you can do

DataSubmitted.updated_by= session.__protected__userid
    DataSubmitted.time_stamp= now() or curdate() ---for just date

Hopefully this will help.
    Chad Brown

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Frank Bicknell

Default Re: How do I store a user and populate a date field upon an update/insert via my web

Quote Originally Posted by chadbrown View Post
    Then in the can update event you can do

DataSubmitted.updated_by= session.__protected__userid

Hopefully this will help.
    Thank's Chad, I was just about ready to conquer this myself and it's already solved. Do you happen to know the data type and size of session.__protected__userid?

Real Name
    Chad Brown

that all depends on your security settings but i beleive it is always character but i am not positive on that.
    Chad Brown

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Frank Bicknell

I thought I had it solved.... where does 'session.__protected__userid' come from? Do I creates this or is it a built in alpha variable? when I try to use it I get an error stating that it does not exist.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Frank Bicknell

I was able to search the forum and find out how to assign the Userid to session.__protected__userid.

When I try to assign the session.__protected__userid to my lastuid field in the CanUpdateRecord Event I get this error

Error executing CanUpdateRecord event handler: command: DataSubmitted.lastuid = session.__protected__userid Not found
    session not found.

I can see that the session.__protected__userid has a value by using ? session.__protected__userid in the a5w page.

What gives?
    Last edited by frankbicknell; 03-30-2010 at 10:54 AM.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Frank Bicknell

I just learned that you have to put the session variable reference within the 'WITH PageVariables - END WITH' declaration.

I thought that session and page variables are different.

New issue. I can no longer run in working preview without an error due to the session variable not found.
    Is there a way around this?

Real Name
    Chad Brown

session variables will not work in preview as you have not signed into the system they will only work in a live environment.
    Chad Brown