Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Amazon Cloud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Cloud

Little by little I have moved almost all my web development (PHP) to Amazon Cloud.

Now I think Amazon Cloud would be a perfect environment to run Alphas Application Server to web customers and also for intranet customers. Amazon Cloud is physically in USA and in Ireland so European customers have also good response times.

I see here a possibility to Alpha.

The cost to run a windows 2003 or 2008 server is in small instance 0,125 per hour.

You don't have to run the server all the time. You can terminate it and start again the server (but the physical server machine will be different)

But I think the license system may be a problem in Alphas server to make this possible.

Ken

Re: Amazon Cloud

Ken,

Have you successfully ran Alpha WAS in the Amazon EC2 Cloud?

If so, how does it perform?

I am thinking of moving my MySQL servers into Amazon for better scalability and improved uptime.

I would like to install Alpha in there too if there isn't any problems (I read about your problems with licensing).

Comment

We are working on changes to the licensing system that will specifically address usage on cloud environments such as Amazon.

Lenny Forziati
      Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
      Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Originally posted by jdrake View Post
        Have you successfully ran Alpha WAS in the Amazon EC2 Cloud? .
        Works out of box. Use 2003 to version 8 and 2008 to version 9 or 10.

If you are new to cloud computing there is a learning curve but it is worth it. Check carefully the pricing system before you do any decisions. Remember there is a price for data to cloud and data from cloud and that there is no price for data between cloud computers. And remember you pay the bill of the usage.

Also remember that the idea in cloud computing is stopping and starting instances(using scripts). If you are not going to do that there may be cheaper solutions.

Check before also what elastic ip means and if that is suitable for your needs.

I warn you. If you terminate you computer it is gone. You will never get it back if you did it accidentally.

It takes time to understand that your server(s) is just single row on your monitor and how easy you can loose it.

Ken

Comment

I've been doing some research for awhile now, mostly pricing and comparing different VPS services, I don't feel comfortable with how much the standard VPS service cost compared to the services you get. Also, I don't feel comfortable with the backup plans at most VPS services.

What really turned me onto Amazon EC2 (correct me if I'm wrong) is the snapshots you can take as a sorta backup to recreate your system in minutes if it were deleted or if you need more instances of the same thing. I think you have to treat it for what it is, you don't want to store anything on any VPS service that you don't have a good backup plan in case they lose everything.

Another thing I like about it is that it supports Session Affinity out of the box. That way, I won't have to worry about scaling issues if they ever arise in the future.

I'm not to worried about losing my instance right now, I'm going to get my feet wet with Amazon EC2 using MySQL to help process calculations that my current system cannot scale to during peak demand.

Comment

What really turned me onto Amazon EC2 (correct me if I'm wrong) is the snapshots you can take as a sorta backup to recreate your system in minutes if it were deleted or if you need more instances of the same thing.
            You are right. Go straight to ebs amis. To start a hole new server from ebs ami takes about 3-5 min and to start stopped server 1-3 min. Elastic Ip is in practice also nice feature because you can change the data server on the fly without your client will even notice it.

Amazon quarantines 99,5 % service available time. Always remember that when you loose your server you never get it back. So it is worth to learn using S3. And do it forehand.

I have found that Amazon is unbeatable. I use it also as development environment.

To me the maybe hardest thing has been getting trust to the cloud. Still every morning I check do I still have all my servers on my account. Not lost anything either have any problems yet.

One advice: Don't install any licensed(=needs activation) program to the cloud computer before you know what you are doing.

Ken

Comment

This is very interesting topic

Always remember that when you loose your server you never get it back.
              How might you loose your server, can you please explain a little ?
              Cheers
              Mauricio

Comment

On Amazon , everything is run in a sort of virtual machine. If the virtual machine instance were to stop (by you clicking the stop button or host server failure) all the data is lost from that instance unless you store an image in a separate storage space that they offer.

I compare it to running your computer off a live cd. When you turn it off nothing is left.

Comment

On Amazon , everything is run in a sort of virtual machine. If the virtual machine instance were to stop (by you clicking the stop button or host server failure) all the data is lost from that instance unless you store an image in a separate storage space that they offer.

I compare it to running your computer off a live cd. When you turn it off nothing is left.
                  That cannot be true, we run 1000's of Virtual machines here at Microsoft. They are normal machines that you can stop and start. Just because a Virtual Machine or Host crash does not mean that all of the data is gone.

Comment

Stright from the Amazon FAQ
                    Q: What happens to my data when a system terminates?
                    The data stored on a local instance store will persist only as long as that instance is alive. However, data that is stored on an Amazon EBS volume will persist independently of the life of the instance.

Therefore, we recommend that you should use the local instance store for temporary data and if you want to increase your data durability we recommend using Amazon EBS volumes or backing up the data to Amazon S3.

For your reference, an "Amazon EBS volume" is sort of like a server folder share that you can mount. An "Amazon S3" is a storage service that is independent (but integrated) of Amazon EC2.

Comment

If the virtual machine instance were to stop (by you clicking the stop button or host server failure)
                      Not exactly this way. If you use ebs ami you can stop(=right syntax) the server and although the server is not physically same when you start it again it is same server with all originally data left(without any extra backups). But you must use ebs ami. If you don't use ebs ami your server can not restart. When you start your server again Its public ip address has changed. So here you need these elastic ip addresses. They are static and you can bind this new(=old) server to this elastic ip address and everything works just like before.

On the other hand If you terminate (=right syntax) the server then it is gone for you (without backups).

Ken

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't an creating an AMI just creating an image that you can store in an Amazon EBS volume?

Comment

You can find here more information.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                          X