Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Open Detail view page with Blank Fields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Detail view page with Blank Fields

Hi,

In v9, I created an operator call logger, there was a detail view that the operator could fill, then click SUBMIT to add new calls to the database. A Read-only grid component with updatable Detail View part.

In v9, the page loaded properly, the detail view was displayed with all fields initially BLANK (which is what I need). The operator has the option to click on an entry in the grid view, to populate the detail view with the information. If she saves it, then the detail view fields go blank, ready for the next caller.

However, after playing with some minor layout adjustments using the v10 editor (nothing major), the detail view no longer starts up blank, but rather shows the last entry in the database. I cant figure out what to tweak to get it to insert, then go blank.

The detail view in 'Display Options' "Show new record if no records in query" (selected or not) seems to make no difference. I'm sure it must be something between the two editors that has been changed, and an option has gone missing... no?

I've also attempted to start from scratch and create the page. I get the same results! There seems to be no way to have the detail view come up blank.

Am I missing something? Like a property that is unrelated that needs to be checked to enable some other property that needs adjustment?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Last edited by billkay; 04-01-2010, 05:35 PM.

Re: Open Detail view page with Blank Fields

Bill,

First go the Detail View properties and make sure �Allow insert� is checked and that the Insert Security Groups, if used, includes the group in which you are logged in.

To get an empty detail view to open automatically, you might try going into the grid properties and edit the �Javascript � System Events� � for the OnGridRender event, add the following Javascript code:

{grid.Object}.detailViewNewRecord();

This should open the detail view ready for entry of a new record as soon as the grid loads. I think you then have two options for saving the record and keeping the detail view open for entry of a new record:

1. The default icons on the detail view toolbar includes one on the right that looks like a floppy disk with a pencil. When you save a new record by clicking this icon, it then clears the detail view for entry of a new record. I verified that this works.

2. You should be able to add a button to the detail view and give it a more explicit label (e.g., "Save/New"). In the "OnClick" Javascript for the button, go into the text edit mode and add the commands listed below, which should also save the record and leave you in the detail view with cleared fields for entry of a new record. I have not verified this.

{grid.Object}.submitDetailView();

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Terry

Comment

In the "OnClick" Javascript for the button, go into the text edit mode and add the commands listed below, which should also save the record and leave you in the detail view with cleared fields for entry of a new record. I have not verified this.

{grid.Object}.submitDetailView();
      Nice clear post Terry and I think your approach will provide a workable resolution for Bill, however ...

You want to be very careful to try make your JavaScript as event driven as possible. In the above example, you are not guaranteed that the first statement completes successfully before the second.

So .. I would remove {grid.Object}.detailViewNewRecord(); from the onClick event and add this to the afterDetailViewSubmit event:

Code:
      if (!e.hasErrors){
      }
      Bob Moore

Comment

Bob,

Thanks for your insight and suggestion. There are so many subtle implications to Javascript that I am continuing to try to grasp. Just one more reason that I rely so heavily on you and other alphaholics on the message board.

Terry

Comment

Thanks a bunch both of you... I'm learning things that will help with everything else.

Unfortunately, I believe there to be something inherently wrong with my page. With your suggestion, the page came up blank woohoo!, but then after testing the rest of it, the save functionality was dead. Not sure why. Even the 'X' delete button wasn't working.

Anyhow, as a last ditch resort, I turned off the AJAX and now everything works like it should. hmmm.... I guess I will be sticking with this the way it is, as it works.. but I'm still interested in hearing any other suggestions... seems I learn more from things unrelated to my current issue... hahah

Thanks again!
          Bill

Comment

Working...
          X