Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Disabling a field when in Change mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disabling a field when in Change mode

I have a field that I DON'T want changed when in change mode (this form is modal); I'm using the CanArrive event for the field in question, and I'm testing whether the form is in change mode using 'parentform.mode_get()'in the script attached to the event.

If the result is '1' (Change), I have the script disabling the field object and setting focus to another field for data entry. My problem is that if I switch from View to Change via the menu selection 'Records->Change Records', the field I want to disable happily allows the user to access it and change it - i.e., the test isn't working.

I don't know if I'm using the wrong event, or if the form isn't refreshing properly, or something else is amiss.

Just before I test the mode, I have a line that does a 'parentform.refresh_layout()'. This doesn't seem to help; a variable on the form (for debugging purposes) shows the current mode, and when I go into Change, it still says View.

If someone can enlighten me, that would be great...

Re: Disabling a field when in Change mode

Hi Shawn,

Use the Enabled-> dynamic option in field properties.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Try using the onArrive event for the fields that are to be disabled if the form is in change mode

In the onArrive event you would use

Code:
       if parentform.mode_get()="Change" then 
                       parentform:anotherfield.activate()
      end if
      Of course you would substitute you field name for anotherfield.

If you wanted to update the variable that shows what mode the form is in

You could set the forms timer to 1 and then in the forms onTimer event you would have

Code:
      var->yourvariablename=parentform.mode_get()
      It would refresh the form with the mode every second.

FWIW

Tom

Edit. Finally got to a computer that had v10 and after reviewing the code made changes - removed the ".value" after yourvariablename and then removed the parentform.refresh_layout() from the ontimer event - both were not necessary.
      Last edited by Tbaker; 04-14-2010, 07:36 PM. Reason: Edited code

Comment

I would take a slightly different approach on this. If the form is modal....I would place the code on whatever "Edit Button" methodology you have. So...the first line of code on a button would be to put the form into change mode and then put the code to disable whatever fields you want disabled. I would do it this way so the code is implemented at the start of the data entry / editing process so it does not have to be evaluated on a field by field basis.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

I made a quick demo. Open the "People_frm" and hit the edit button. The SSN and Gender fields are disabled and their fill color is changed so the user knows they are not editable.

Comment

Thanks much to all that put in the time to answer my question; We're wrapping up tax season today so I won't have a chance to play with this right now - when I do, I'll report back on my (hopefully) success.

Comment

Jeff

I have been trying to do this thru the disable.object, which does disable the object, but I want to disable an object under a certain condition. In the checkbook I have put together I have a field called "Cleared" (logical) and when the check has reconciled with the bank I check "Cleared". In your example I want to disable the check number and the amount (or deposit) if the "Cleared" is checked for "true", however the other fields would be available for editing. I'm not an expert on Xbasic so could you or anyone take your script and code it with something like "If Cleared = .t. then run you script or cancel your script if Cleared not check. I have been running my church check book now on Quicken for over 10 years and it doesn't give me the reports I really want, but I can do this in A5, and the above would be helpful. Thanks to you or anyone who responds.

Jerry

Comment

Hi Jerry,
                More information, mainly regarding the context of your problem, is needed as each context many times means a different solution....Is the problem on a form, a browse, an xdialog...? a single table, a set (and if so, what is the parent, the children, the linkages, the relationships?)...? If a browse are you saying you want to disable just some rows of the browse?

These are but a few thoughts I had when considering your issue! Maybe Jeff knows more as it seems you directed your question mainly at him, but I certainly will need more than what you have given in order to take a stab at it! :)
                Mike

Comment

Mike, thanks for your consideration,

No, it's just a one file, one form dbf, just wanta' use Jeff's example (which
                  disables) but I want to put a condition on it by checking the logical field
                  T or F to disable or enable. I can put the script on his example to enable
                  but that's when I have my problem, if Cleared = t then (run Jeff's code) to disable, else if cleared = f then (run my code) to enable. As you can see the book for xbasic dummies hasn't made it to my house yet.

thanks

Jerry

Comment

if Cleared = .t. then
                    run Jeff's code
                    else
                    run jerry's code
                    end if

OR you could have

if Cleared = .t. then
                    run Jeff's code
                    end if

if Cleared = .f. then
                    run jerry's code
                    end if

Comment

Jerry,

Sorry for the delay.....been swamped on a project. In any case, did you get this sorted?

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Jeff

Yes I did, thanks for your script and Charlie Crimmel's easy fix. Works just fine

thanks

Jerry:)

Comment

Working...
                        X