Alpha Video Training

Thread: Queries

Real Name
    Jared Goodrich

Default Queries

Hello, I'm considering making the move from Access to Alpha. I've been searching the help and the forum for how Alpha allows one to manage and create queries as I do in Access. Here's an example of what I mean.

In Access we generally create queries that are several layers deep. That is, queries upon queries that have several linked tables/queries.

How can this be accomplished with Alpha?

Another practical example is creating a combo box with a data source of a query in Access. I see that a combo box can be made and filled with a Query Operation in Alpha, but it seems that the Query Operation only allows one table to be included.

I'm sure I've missed something somewhere and I know that the two paradigms are quite different. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

Default Re: Queries

There may be other techniques, but what I usually do is create a view ( in MySQL) that does the bulk of the joining, then just query off that.

For example, I have one table that contains a series of charts with measurements and values. The task was to display a grid of the maximum values. So, I created a view that shows just the maximum value and measurement, then based my grid, sorting and searching off that.

In another case, I'm creating a view out of 5 tables, and use the grid as it if was a single table.

This works well and seems to actually be faster than a query within a query.

Pat
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Real Name
    Jared Goodrich

Default Re: Queries

Thanks for your reply. I thought it might come to that. Can anyone recommend a visual query designer similar to that of access? I'm not opposed to spending some money. I've seen navicat but was wondering if there is anything else out there.