Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

IP Binding startup issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IP Binding startup issue

I really like the concept of IP Binding. Now, if I can get some help to figure out how to do it...

I have an application where several users are using the same database and, in fact, the same pages. So I want to use IP Binding to create an instance of the application server for each user. The main reason is to use the new ServerSetting variables in the filter for each user. That way, I think, whenever the server instance is running, the filter will work...don't have to worry about the session expiring. Some of those pages are public pages...no login... so I need the filter active all the time.

So, I have a dedicated server out on ZebraHost with a primary IP and a couple secondary IPs. I created three versions of the config file and set the IP binding in each, all on the same port ( 80 ).

Problem is, the instance on the primary IP starts up just fine (green dot, web access...everything good), but the two instances on the secondary IP's begin to start up, then stop before completing. They don't get as far as creating the log files before they stop so i don't get any error messages, just a red dot and no joy. I've tried all the usual things..rebooting, starting in a different order, but doesn't work.

Has anyone had success with this using multiple IPs on the same port? Did I miss something?

thanks,
    Pat
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Re: IP Binding startup issue

If it helps any, here are my shortcuts to launch each, from AlwaysUp.

Note that I moved each config file to a central folder named a5installs for better management.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi Steve,

Do you have a preference between AlwaysUP and FireDaemon (or any other app as service software).

I think you have mentioned both in the past.
      Chris Tanti
      Technical Support

Nuance & Fathom Ltd - The data-driven marketing agency

Comment

Steve,

I see that all the non-ssl instances are on port 81. Does that mean that you just entered the ip binding in the config file and they all started up successfully, or did you have to do something esle?

I don't think AlwaysUp is causing it to work. I'll be using AlwaysUp once I have the app ready to run, but I find it easier not to use it during development.

I also moved my config files to c:\a5configs where I could find them and I know that the three instances are running off separate config files because they show the different titles when I mouse over the dots.

Pat
        Pat Bremkamp
        MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Pat, make sure you have error logging turned on. It should log any failed start attempts, even if they occur before the creation of the access log.

Lenny Forziati
          Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
          Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Lenny,

If you are talking about the a5w_error.log, no it does not get created.

I named the error logs individually so I could tell which was which, but only the logs for my primary ip are getting created.

what comes before that? I do get the message "server is starting", but then changes to "server is stopped"

Pat
            Pat Bremkamp
            MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Thanks to both Clive and Lenny for troubleshooting this. I don't know what they did, but the magic worked and all three instances are now running perfectly!

Pat
              Pat Bremkamp
              MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Working...
              X