Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Using multiple sets of tables with a single application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using multiple sets of tables with a single application

This a new thread on a question I asked in a different thread with the hope I can make my question more clear.

I have a desktop app distributed to a group of people. Each person works on a different subset of the data, i.e., accounts with the letter A, letter B, etc. No one is networked or connected to the central database nor can they be. Any updates to the central files are done independently and used as a check against these subsets.

In one or two cases, the same individual works on two subsets, i.e., P and X. The application and tables are identical for each subset, but the data is different and cannot be intermingled.

How can I provide access to more than one subset for these one or two people? I think they would need to either have two installations of the app, one for each subset, or a single install with a way to switch out of one subset into the other when necessary.

Is file naming the answer and, if so, is there some way to do this easily in the app and give the user a choice of which subset he wants to work on? I prefer not to have to do a serious rewrite for the one or two people involved.

Les

Re: Using multiple sets of tables with a single application

Hi Les,

I shall be interested in what others may reply.

My take on the situation is that the data should all be in one place and the users log in to the data and use it with the permissions granted to each user.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post

No one is networked or connected to the central database nor can they be. Any updates to the central files are done independently and used as a check against these subsets.

Les
      Can you define the objective more specific?
      Accessing forms or tables can be achieved by menu control for each user.
      Is the database at some point loaded to a central place?
      If all the forms are the same, what distinguish one table from another, the user, date, customer?

Comment

I guess I'd do it something like this (attached).
        Mike W

Comment

Each individual user maintains his subset of a larger database with account transaction details that apply to his subset of subscribers. The central database keeps a summary only of the money amounts by subscriber account.

Everyone works alone (at home) so there are no connections among users.

A few people handle more than one subset which is where my question arose. Those few need to switch from subset one to subset two. All of the subsets they process reside on one PC.

Each subset is a separate and unique grouping of accounts. The files for each of these subsets could have a unique name to distinguish them but if I did that, what would be the simplest approach to accomplish this within the application?

Your implication that several subsets could be in the same tables is valid but I think that would take a lot more work to accomplish. Also, this is a low utilization application manned by volunteers who are mostly not very technically proficient so simple is best.

Les

Comment

Hi Les,
            so simple is best.
            Would be true but I believe what you are thinking here as simple, is not really the case.

When you say different users are working on subsets of data, you make me wonder why data cant be filtered as to who is logged on.
            application manned by volunteers who are mostly not very technically proficient
            If they can use a computer, your volunteers are more technically proficient than you are giving them credit for. As a developer, who is technically proficient, try to keep the application as simple as possible without too many bells and whistles, then neither you nor your users will get confused as to what they should be doing.
            Regards
            Keith Hubert
            Alpha Guild Member
            London.
            KHDB Management Systems
            Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

How can I provide access to more than one subset for these one or two people? I think they would need to either have two installations of the app, one for each subset, or a single install with a way to switch out of one subset into the other when necessary.
              Les
              They way I responded was my understanding of your request.
              Mike Wilson did one big better, He displayed.
              You say they are individual users, so each pc has the same amount of subsets(I assume that a subset is either a single table/form or what we have in Alpha called a SET)and each pc has one user only.
              Am I correct?
              If that it the case, what is the objective, other than create a menu or buttons to jump from one form to another, that will,be the simplest way.
              There is not even a need for security log in.
              Less, I am sorry, but all I see is a very simple process, or I do not get it at all.

Comment

Is file naming the answer and, if so, is there some way to do this easily in the app and give the user a choice of which subset he wants to work on? I prefer not to have to do a serious rewrite for the one or two people involved.

Les
                In this case I think the simplest is to have two installations of the app.

You already have the situation that if something needed to be fixed or changed in the app it would need to be done on multiple user's machines - ie in multiple copies of the app. So one user having two copies of the app on their machine would not be any different than two users having one copy each.

Just keep each app in a folder that describes the contents. You could have a folder called Data. Then subfolders called Letter P and Letter X. The actual table names would not need to be altered. The user would open Alpha, navigate two which ever 'Letter' they want to work on. When finished, close that app and navigate to the other app/folder. The user could even open two instances of Alpha if they wanted to and work on both at the same time, since they would technically be different applications. When it comes time to collect the data you will just be getting two sets of data/applications from the one person. That way the system you now use for collating and checking does not need to take into account that there might be multiple data sets in one app.

Yes, this sounds a bit rough and ready. Is there a more elegant solution? Maybe (depending on one's definition of elegant). But considering the system you already have in place, this should work just fine.
                Tim Kiebert
                Eagle Creek Citrus
                A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply but I have been travelling for the past week and was only able to look at the zip files today. I will study Mike Wilson's approach and see how I might work it into my system.

I have one user testing this and he installed the system twice. He reported that he has no issues on his single PC and has been able to work on each data segment successfully so I have a working solution. This is clearly the simplest way to go.

Now that the pressure is off, I will play around and see if I can find a more elegant solution with a single installation but access to more than one segment of data (each in a separate set of tables).

Stay tuned.

Comment

alpha is able to open 2 databases at a time, so a user could open a seperate databes as "a" and "b" and work on both alternating between them if desired.

I assume(hate that word) you are appending the needed data into the main database?

If the users are working at home, would an internet solution be feasible??
                    ---
                    As stated above, you can limit the users abilites to see only the data they are supposed to.

Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                    X