Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to control line height within a xdialog record list list box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to control line height within a xdialog record list list box

Hi,

In a touch screen application, I need the line height large enough for finger touch but I do not want the font size too large because I need to display more characters.
    Example, the line height is 20pt and font size is 12pt.
    The xdialog box display the contents of a file's records using the record List-list box control.

How can I do?
    Thanks

Fator

Re: How to control line height within a xdialog record list list box

Originally posted by Fator View Post
    Hi,

In a touch screen application, I need the line height large enough for finger touch but I do not want the font size too large because I need to display more characters.
    Example, the line height is 20pt and font size is 12pt.
    The xdialog box display the contents of a file's records using the record List-list box control.

How can I do?
    Thanks

Fator

Comment

Fator,
      The list-list uses the keylist build function... hard to control. There are other ways using table.external record_content get() as variables into an xdialog listbox that allow greater control of the input into the listbox as you describe you need. See example.
      Mike W

Comment

Mike,

Thank you. I'll try it.

Fator

Comment

Hi, Mike,

Thank your for your help, but that is not what I want.

Your example give a blank line after the record line. But the record line with data still not height enough for a finger to touch.

I am now using a form with embedded browse to display the record list which provides selection for the main form and the line height can be adjusted to any size. But this method is a little bit slow for my client to select data.

A5 can only accept one set on one form so I want to embedded a xdialog box which can display another set of data in a form with another set of data.

I need the line height large enough for a finger to touch and at the same time I must consider the processing speed.

Fator

Comment

OK, just increase the font size:

Code:
            dim vLitems
            dim vR as C

vLitems=table.external_record_content_get("items","item","item","")

vR=ui_dlg_box("List Items",<<%dlg%
            [COLOR="Red"]{font=Arial,18}[/COLOR]{nocaption}
            [.40,24vlist_pick^#vLitems];
            {font=Arial,12}<OK> <Cancel>
            %dlg%)

if vR="Cancel"
            	end 
            end if

msgbox(vlist_pick)
            Mike W

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thanks again.

Just increase the font size cannot solve my problem. I have already used the record_list list box and use a font size of 16pt in the application(which is a food order taking system). The line height is large enough for a finger but the width of the box must be increased to show all information on a line without scroll. It is not allowed to do that because of the screen's size limit.

So I need line height 16pts to let finger touching but font size is 12pts to hold more data.

Is it impossible for record-list list-box?

Fator

Comment

I don't think you can do what you want to do in an xdialog.

However, you should be able to create a regular form and open it in dialog mode. That would give you more control over the size of the fields. Then it's up to you whether you want to have the form objects based on fields or just variables.

The form itself has to be based on ("attached to") some table or set but it doesn't have to use the fields in that table/set - it can just contain fields based on variables. In that case it would be much like an xdialog and you would have to create any "field rules" in the form events. You would also have to retrieve the selected value(s) before closing the form.

I can't find any good info on this in the current Help file about using forms as dialog boxes. (It might be there; I just couldn't find it.) The Wiki info is really limited - some critical info was left out. It looks like someone either quickly edited the Form.view() page and forgot some of the critical info or didn't understand it in the first place. So, here's some info from my free A5v5_Xbasic.hlp file - emphasis added. (My .hlp file is based on previous A5 Help files/documents and includes many functions from later versions of A5 as well.)

Form.View(<FormName>,<Style>,...)

To open the form as a modal dialog box, specify "Dialog" as the optional Style parameter.

Closing a Dialog Box

When a dialog box is displayed using the Form.dialog() method, the user action of closing the dialog window actually closes the window.
                Contrast this behavior with the Form.view() and Form.load() methods when the "Dialog" parameter is specified. In this case the user action of closing the dialog actually only hides the window so that the Xbasic program can read any of the variables that the user filled in on the dialog box. It is the responsibility of the Xbasic programmer to use the .close() method to actually close the window. See the examples below for details.

Assume that you have a form called "Print Invoices". The form prompts for the starting invoice number (in a control on the form called Start_inv) and the ending invoice number (in a control called End_inv). The form also has three buttons: "Preview", "Print" and "Cancel". (Note: These names refer to the object names, not the text on the button face). Depending on which button the user presses, the script prints or previews the "Invoices" report, showing the specified invoices.

Code:

'The following script could be a Global Script, or 
                'could be attached to a button on a form.
                '----------------------------------------------------
                :form.view("Print Invoices","Dialog")
                'Script is now paused until the user closes the dialog box
                'Find out what the last button pressed 
                'was using the last_pressed method
                Last_button = :Print_Invoices.last_pressed()
                'Because the user action of "closing" the dialog
                'only actually hid the dialog, the expression: 
                ':Print_Invoices:start_inv.value
                'can read the value of the starting invoice
                'number from the dialog.
                SELECT
                   CASE Last_button = "Preview"
                      :report.preview("Invoices", "inv_no >= :Print_Invoices:start_inv.value .and. inv_no <= :Print_Invoices:end_inv.value ")
                   CASE Last_button = "Print
                      :report.print("Invoices", "inv_no >= :Print_Invoices:start_inv.value .and. inv_no <= :Print_Invoices:end_inv.value ")
                END SELECT
                'Now that the report has been printed, close the dialog
                :Print_invoices.close()
                That last line is CRITICAL. You MUST close the dialog form or it will remain open until A5 is closed - you do NOT want that!

Also note - this is NOT the same thing as Form.dialog()

I'm sure you could get the results you want using Form.dialog() also. However, the way Form.view(<FormName>, "dialog") works is closer to the way an xdialog works. With Form.dialog() you would probably have to set either Shared or Global variables (I'm not sure which in this case) before opening the form so they could be evaluated after the form was closed. Disclaimer - I don't recall ever actually using Form.dialog().
                Last edited by CALocklin; 05-12-2010, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Mike,

THANK YOU very much!
                  My application was designed as what you suggested but the user always complain it is a little bit slow when many order waiting to input in the peak hours (e.g. lunch & dinner time). I only want to find another way to improve the processing speed.
                  Thank you again for your kind help!

Best regards
                  Fator

Comment

Originally posted by Fator View Post
                    Mike,

THANK YOU very much!
                    My application was designed as what you suggested but the user always complain it is a little bit slow when many order waiting to input in the peak hours (e.g. lunch & dinner time). I only want to find another way to improve the processing speed.
                    Thank you again for your kind help!

Best regards
                    Fator
                    OK, I'm confused. How did Mike's solution help? You said yourself that "Just increasing the font size cannot solve my problem" so you wanted something like, "line height 16pts to let finger touching but font size is 12pts to hold more data" However, Mike's solution seems to simply increase the font size which, according to your own comment, would limit the visible data.

I'm not complaining if his solution works for you but, since "line height 16pts to let finger touching but font size is 12pts to hold more data" would be a nice capability, I'd like to know how to do it. I'm wondering if I'm missing something or maybe Mike helped with something else off-line?

Comment

Hello Cal Lockin,

I am sorry. I made a mistake. I saw your help answer but I had not notice the name. I made a mistake that the ansmer is from Mike. Actually, my last reply was to thank your answer.
                      I am very very sorry for my careless!!

Thank you Cal!!
                      I thank everyone helped me.

Best regards
                      Fator

Comment

Hi CALocklin,

Thank you for your helpful post.
                        What my application doing is similar to your suggestion.
                        I open a normal form for order taking. And open another form as dialog to display the food menu. So operator select food item form that dialog form. I do not close the dialog form so it always display on the screen. In this way oprator no need to always click a button to open the dialog form.
                        The data is stored in a central server. Serval workstations access the data through network.
                        Users complain a little bit slow. So I think to be an embedded dialog to replace the dialog form to see whether speed improved or not.

Thank you.

Best regards
                        Fator

Comment

OK, now I'm upset.;) Here I was, all excited about learning some slick new technique but, nooo, it was just a simple mistake.

Just kidding. No problem at all. (Of course, I never make mistakes like that but I try to understand when others do.)

Comment

Working...
                          X