Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha5 Web App & Internet Explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha5 Web App & Internet Explorer

Scenario, I have a user with 8 different facilities data installed in 8 different folders on a File Server. The A5Webroot has 8 folders called H1 to H8. Each one is redirected to a access a different set of data on the FS.

Typical Desktop link is http://85.64.88.123/H1/login.a5w

A user clicks on the Desktop icon and gets the login screen for their facility, they enter a username & password.

But "sometimes" as the mainmenu page is loading the URL address will change to http://85.64.88.123/H6/login.a5w" or some other facility NOT the one they started with. And the data that is is accessing is in H6 not theirs...

How does the Alpha5 Web app keep track of the session?

2nd problem: a user in facility #8 (or http://64.88.123/H8/login.a5w")is in the WEB application, accessing their data but then OVERTYPES the URL address to "http://85.64.88.123/H5/login.a5w. The Web program now access' H5's data WITHOUT having to go thru the login process again.

BTW, I have asked the user to restart & reactivate the Alpha5 Web Server app.

Any HELP to troubleshoot this is appreciated!!!!! We are stumped.

dewayne

Re: Alpha5 Web App & Internet Explorer

Sessions are by BROWSER. The way you have structured your folders, if a user is logged in to H1, they are automatically logged in to H4, and every other instance. If they log out of one, they are logged out of all. Test this by logging in to H1, open a second browser (same browser, IE for instance), go straight to H4, note that you are logged in. Log out of H1, refresh the browser with H4 and note you are logged out of that one as well.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
      Sessions are by BROWSER. The way you have structured your folders, if a user is logged in to H1, they are automatically logged in to H4, and every other instance. If they log out of one, they are logged out of all. Test this by logging in to H1, open a second browser (same browser, IE for instance), go straight to H4, note that you are logged in. Log out of H1, refresh the browser with H4 and note you are logged out of that one as well.
      Thanks. Did a test & what you say above happens. Any suggestion on how we could restructure our folders (both the 10 copies of our application in 10 totally different databases and A5WebRoot) differently so this does not happen.

Your HELP is really appreciated...

dewayne

Comment

First let me say that this method of running multiple applications under different subfolders is often quoted here as a solution, and it never has been a proper solution, as your example points out. I even have test applications up on my server configured like yours where I know IF ClientA knew the subfolder for ClientB, they could log in to each other's apps. But they are just staging areas until the customer goes live.

There is nothing you can do as far as changing your folder structure. I only know of four options:

- The first is to describe here why you have your application broken up in to multiple segments. I bet we can come up with a way to put it together as one application, and still accomplish what you want. Or if it remains mandatory to have separate database files, I know how to run one application and, depending on who logs in, have it look at an entirely different set of tables.

- run multiple copies of the A5 server, each on a different Port number and a different document root.

- hire a developer to configure Apache as a front-end to your applications and isolate each using VirtualHosting, each with a different 'document root'. Alpha won't help you with this or support it.

- Upgrade to Alpha Five V10 and do what is called IP Binding where you run multiple instances of A5, each on a different IP address. V10 has an update that 'does not share session files' when you do it this way.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

DeWayne (who started this thread) and I work together on our application. We discussed our options yesterday evening and I have a couple of questions.

Option 1
          We like the solution of being able to look at entirely different sets of tables from the browser. How can you help us to learn how to do this? Is there a book, article, message or do we need to communicate directly with you?

Option 4
          This is our second solution that we are considering as we are upgrading to A5V10 currently. Does the customer need multiple copies of A5 (or A5 Runtime) and will it be easy for them to get multiple IP addresses. Where can we learn more about IP Binding with Alpha 5?

At this point we do not consider options 2 and 3 if possible. We appreciate any help that you can provide us on this as our customer is looking to us to find a solution.

Thanks

Andy and DeWayne.

Comment

Andy*,

opt 4 requires just one license, one copy of A5WAS. IP addresses usually cost a couple bucks each from your vendor. There are instrructions on how to do the binding in a What's New in V10 doc, download the trial and click Help.

opt 1 is a little tricky. Basically it goes like this, at the top of every A5 page with a data bound component:

case condition A
            dbpath = "c:\mypath\db_1_path"
            case condition B
            dbpath = "c:\mypath\db_2_path"
            etc.

and then everywhere in your app that you currently have [PathAlias.ADB_Path] you use the "dbpath" variable.

I think it will work out because you are using V8, and would be harder if using V10.

But still would be interested in why you have separate databases, probably could work that out.

*from one of most beautiful cities on earth
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

thank you for the quick reply.

The reason for the separate Databases is as follows:

The customer is a series of small, regional hospitals. Our software is a Maintenance Management System.

Rather than installing our software at each Hospital, they wanted to install it on a central server that holds one copy of the Alpha 5 Web Servier and individual data sets for each hospital (they run independent of each other). I assume that their IT department likes this setup.

One other option now, aside from your four suggestions, is for each hospital to install the software on their own server, but they will then need an Alpha 5 Webserver for each location.

This current setup works well for them, except for the issue that we are now dealing with.

Hope this explains what our customers are doing, let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Andy and DeWayne

Comment

V8, I think, is pre-security framework, can't remember. If so, you have your own method for controlling login. You might expirement with making sure each login process uses differently named session variables. I have no idea if that would work. You might also search the internet to see if you can force a browser to start a new session each time you open it, or open a new tab. The reason for that is best shown by if you open H1 in IE and then open H4 in Firefox, you will see the DON'T overlap. That's because each is using different sessions.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Sigrist View Post
                  Rather than installing our software at each Hospital, they wanted to install it on a central server that holds one copy of the Alpha 5 Web Servier and individual data sets for each hospital (they run independent of each other). I assume that their IT department likes this setup.
                  If the 8 sets of tables are identical, but with different data, as Steve suggests you could combine the like tables into one each, then filter on the user's hospital. To do this you would need to add a hospital id field to each table. Let's say that the field will hold H1...H8. When the user logs in, load a session variable with their respective hospital id, such as H5. Then filter each page on that field using the session var. Now all 8 hospitals are using the same tables, but only see their unique data set. Similarly, when adding new records you will need to post the session var to the new record. Now db & table maintenance is greatly simplified, and your problem is solved (I think).
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                  https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Steve

I have been trying to implement "Option 4", but without success so far. I get stuck and hope you can help me with a few questions:

Beyond the "What's New in V10.Doc", are there other resouces that may explain it in simpler terms (videos, articles etc)?

I created new XML configuration files and use the command line option, but the Web Server does not start with them, even though all directories are correct and the XML file is correct. Is there another reason why the Web Server does not start with the command line?

C:\apps\a5V10 ApplicationServer\A5ApplicationServer.exe -CONFIGFILE="C:\A5Webroot\XML\Hospital 1.xml"

If our customers need additonal IP addresses for this solution, do they need to be static IP Addresses, or can they be Dynamic IP Addresses?

If we need further help (maybe on the phone) and walk us through setting this up, are you wiling to do so?

Thanks

Andy Sigrist

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                    Andy*,

opt 4 requires just one license, one copy of A5WAS. IP addresses usually cost a couple bucks each from your vendor. There are instrructions on how to do the binding in a What's New in V10 doc, download the trial and click Help.

opt 1 is a little tricky. Basically it goes like this, at the top of every A5 page with a data bound component:

case condition A
                    dbpath = "c:\mypath\db_1_path"
                    case condition B
                    dbpath = "c:\mypath\db_2_path"
                    etc.

and then everywhere in your app that you currently have [PathAlias.ADB_Path] you use the "dbpath" variable.

I think it will work out because you are using V8, and would be harder if using V10.

But still would be interested in why you have separate databases, probably could work that out.

*from one of most beautiful cities on earth

Comment

They need to be static IP addresses because you have to type the IP value in the xml file. Take the XML files out of the webroot, I put mine in c:\a5installs. Although probably not a factor in this case, NEVER include an embedded space in anything to do with a web application, remove the space in the xml filename.

You do need to be running this using the V10 WAS web app server. Mentioned only because just a day ago you were talking V8.

If you cant get it to work, I can dial in and take a look. But I may be unavailable for a week as I am going to this AlphaU training in Las Vegas this coming week.
                      Steve Wood
                      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for your quick reply - even on a weekend.

Yes, I am running the A5V10 Application Server, but my web application program is still in A5V8 code.

I am planning to upgrade my web application to A5V10 and am considering to start fresh with purchasing the "Web App Framework" from you.

First, however, I have to solve the current issue with the hosptals to seperate their applications by running multiple instances of the Application Server.

I appreciate your offer to dial and will contact you if I still have problems when you get back from AlphaU.

Thank you for your help

Andy Sigrist

Comment

Steve and all

Thanks to your help, I made some good progress by now with setting up multiple websites on the A5V10 Application Server.

One item that I am still struggling with is the following point below that needs to be done after getting separate, static IP addresses. Can anyone explain this in more detail as to where how to do it?

"Configure DNS for www.application1.com to point to IP address 1 and www.application2.com to point to IP address 2. For
                          specific information on how to do this, consult your network administrator."

Any help on this is appreciated.

Andy Sigrist

Comment

Working...
                          X