Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Five is driving me mad!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alpha Five is driving me mad!!!

Originally posted by kkfin View Post
    Yeah you are right. But I did understand we are talking in this thread about help files, books, tutorials.

Ken
    I am grateful for the suggestions already made.

As I said, I am reviewing Alpha Five 10 (having received the review copy with .NET magazine) with a view to recommending it to the organisation I am freelancing for. I now have a serious problem in recommending this software. A very large part of the reason for them looking at something like Alpha Five is in order to develop the in-house skill set of the organisation, so that they can manage their own database development with consultant support.

But in order to do this, there has to be a solid and comprehensive manual for both training and reference. FileMaker Pro 10 has two leading commercially produced manuals, of which The Missing Manual is in my view the better of the two.

The downloadable PDF by Susan Bush looks reasonably comprehensive, but only refers to the Desktop version of A5 10. Dr. Heller's book appears to be unfinished, from the comments above, but does not say so in the advertisement. I am therefore reluctant to spend money on downloading it, as I have already spent money on Bush's pdf.

The Wiki is not a training manual as such, but a reference for developers, and you have to know the fundamentals of Alpha Five before using it.

Given that one of the key selling points of Alpha Five is that it makes it easy to produce web database applications without having to know too much coding, the lack of a comprehensive manual is a serious issue in any kind of recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by keelbolt View Post
      I am evaluating Alpha Five after getting the evaluation copy in .Net magazine. The software looks excellent, and I want to recommend it's use to my organisation, but the tutorial system is driving me completely crazy. There doesn't seem to be a definitive tutorial or manual for Alpha Five v10, the tutorials and videos (of which there seem to be hundreds dotted across the internet) all seem to relate to different versions, so trying to follow them leads to a load of dead ends, and the Wiki seems to require you to know the software before you can learn it.

I keep trying to follow various videos, and discover that v10 behaves differently, so I keep getting stuck. Oh for something like The Missing Manual, or a comprehensive guide to v10.

Please can someone point me to a definitive guide to v10 before my brain completely stalls and I throw the software at something and say the evaluation has failed.
      I agree. To get new people on board documentation is key. Even a clean, good looking & working Alpha Software website is key.

On the other hand I know that Martin Heller is working on the documentation side but it will take some time taking into consideration that documentation has been an issue for many versions. Part II & III of his book will eventually come and I also can't wait to get those.

I also agree that the videos should be taken to one comprehensive site with an indication of what version they apply to and if they apply to web/desktop or both. I have also put out requests for that and I am convinced that it will all come. V10 is just too good not to address these issues.
      Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Keelbolt,

I agree and now we just wait an answer to your thread from an old user pointing to you how good product Alpha is and what potential it have. It does not help you a bit, I guess.

Ken

Comment

This is a topic of high priority to us.

Re a tutorial for building web apps

1) Part II and III of the book are being written
          2) Susan Bush is writing a book on building web Apps
          3) Steve Workings is working on a video training series

These will be available in the coming weeks

for reference purposes there is the new Alpha Wiki http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/HomePage which is very comprehensive

We also do hands on training - there is one this week in Las Vegas and we will be doing more

In addition there are many training resources and examples at http://docs.google.com/View?id=d52ghw8_194hms3z7d9
          Richard Rabins
          Co Chairman
          Alpha Software

Comment

Richard,

There are several very accomplished Alpha programmers in the UK. I'm sure one of them would be available to give a few classes to your staff to get them jump started.

For an organization, that would be a better way to jump in than having one person read a book and try to teach the others. More expensive, sure, but getting up to speed quickly and interactive training are always better than taking weeks or months trying to learn from a book.

If a UK person is not available, then maybe you could get Steve Workings to give his Webinar series for your group.

Pat
            Pat Bremkamp
            MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Rabins View Post

for reference purposes there is the new Alpha Wiki http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/HomePage which is very comprehensive

We also do hands on training - there is one this week in Las Vegas and we will be doing more

In addition there are many training resources and examples at http://docs.google.com/View?id=d52ghw8_194hms3z7d9
              Hi Richard,

If I might offer an observation......there is TOO much information in TOO many places. I am not trying to be critical, but I believe this is why so many people have trouble with Alpha. For example, why is there a link to a Google Docs url? How could any new(or experienced) user find this information without first coming here....and then if they came here...that link will likely be buried in a few days here. It would seem a proper "Getting Started" or "Docementation Reference" page on the main Alpha Site(i.e Alphasoftware.com) is the place for this information.

As another example, take Peter Greulich's comment that he could not find the link to Martin's book. Peter has been using Alpha for years.....if it is not readily apparent to him where to find the information....there is no way a new user will find it intuitive.

It is my opinion that the the MAIN starting point for all of this information should be from the main Alpha site. That is seemingly the way every other company in the world does it.

Why not create a "dashboard" (getting started and reference materials) in an Alpha Web App? I am sure someone could get a solid jump on this in one day using Alpha. The NEW Tree Control Navigation feature pack offered in 10.5 would make a GREAT starting point (and easy to use way) to "drill" to the info you are looking to find. :) Much more intuitive than the wiki IMO.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by keelbolt View Post
                Please can someone point me to a definitive guide to v10 before my brain completely stalls and I throw the software at something and say the evaluation has failed.
                Alpha Five Web Applications Made Easy, The Basics and More for Version 10.5 is NOW available.

This book is a clear, easy-to-follow tutorial, with each exercise defined in a step-by-step manner.

Click the Liberty Manuals link below to learn more. TOC and sample chapters available for each book,
                sigpic Susan Bush, Liberty Manuals Co. Books for Alpha Anywhere mobile, web and desktop.

Comment

Jeff - your comments below are VERY helpful - we are working to make everything easier to find off our site!
                  thanks
                  richard

Default Re: Alpha Five is driving me mad!!!
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Richard Rabins View Post

Hi Richard,

If I might offer an observation......there is TOO much information in TOO many places. I am not trying to be critical, but I believe this is why so many people have trouble with Alpha. For example, why is there a link to a Google Docs url? How could any new(or experienced) user find this information without first coming here....and then if they came here...that link will likely be buried in a few days here. It would seem a proper "Getting Started" or "Docementation Reference" page on the main Alpha Site(i.e Alphasoftware.com) is the place for this information.

As another example, take Peter Greulich's comment that he could not find the link to Martin's book. Peter has been using Alpha for years.....if it is not readily apparent to him where to find the information....there is no way a new user will find it intuitive.

It is my opinion that the the MAIN starting point for all of this information should be from the main Alpha site. That is seemingly the way every other company in the world does it.

Why not create a "dashboard" (getting started and reference materials) in an Alpha Web App? I am sure someone could get a solid jump on this in one day using Alpha. The NEW Tree Control Navigation feature pack offered in 10.5 would make a GREAT starting point (and easy to use way) to "drill" to the info you are looking to find. Much more intuitive than the wiki IMO.

Regards,

Jeff
                  Richard Rabins
                  Co Chairman
                  Alpha Software

Comment

http://news.alphasoftware.com/V10Preview/videos.htm

This link has all of the videos

Comment

there are more videos here too

https://docs.google.com/View?id=d52ghw8_194hms3z7d9
                      Richard Rabins
                      Co Chairman
                      Alpha Software

Comment

We do appreciate/enjoy all of the videos BUT....
                        why cant there be single comprehensive List of videos, the fact that videos are all scattered around "drives us mad too", and cant the list have a search box pleaasee, I think there is a database software called Alpha Five that could help you get that done in 5 minutes.

the grid could be something like:

id, Category ,A5_version, Description, Link, User_Uploaded, Date
                        Cheers
                        Mauricio

Comment

Susan your book is ready
                          Is Dr Martin Heller's complete or still only 3 chapters?

thanks

Comment

Yes.
                            sigpic Susan Bush, Liberty Manuals Co. Books for Alpha Anywhere mobile, web and desktop.

Comment

Richard

What got me hooked on A5 was the excellent hard copy documentation and the great tutorial that came with A5 version 1. I don't know how many of you have seen it but it was good. I actually bought A5v1 off the shelf from a store in Nashville. It came with the books as part of the package.

I believe something like that would really help A5 become the leader of the pack.

Also, the white paper on how to use security is excellent. More of those that address specific areas would be great.

Tommy Thompson
                              Last edited by Tommy Thompson; 08-06-2010, 08:11 AM.
                              Tommy Thompson
                              Thompson Consulting Services
                              Beautiful Kentucky Lake, Springville, TN 38256
                              [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Thompson View Post
                                Richard
                                What got me hooked on A5 was the excellent hard copy documentation and the great tutorial that came with A5 version 1. I don't know how many of you have seen it but it was good. I actually bought A5v1 off the shelf from a store in Nashville. It came with the books as part of the package. Tommy Thompson
                                I am so with you, Tommy. Unfortunately, it has gotten too expensive for ANY software company to just throw these books in for free, especially in a printed format. I started with Alpha Four that also had a step-by-step tutorial like other programs at that time. My books attempt to emulate those earlier manuals with a step-by-step format - they're just much larger because there's so much to cover. The desktop book is more than 600 pages and the web book is about 500.

Comment

Working...
                                X