Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Successful 6 Instances of WAS

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Successful 6 Instances of WAS

Shouldnt you be in bed.

Navicat is such a great program.

I rethought how I was going to build my portal due to you choosing MySQL for the security as I was originally going use MSSQL but I didn't want 2 Database Servers running on the same box so decided to bite the bullet go with MySQL.

Navicat made it so easy for me with the scheduled Import routines so all I have to do push the MSSQL Data from my MIS system with SSIS and then import with navicat, brilliant.

Fingers crossed you hit the July 1st data as I don't want to go live with my current project until I have that in place.

Chris

Comment

Awesome explination Steve thanks for doing all of that for the board.

Turnbullca, Here is where you can set the cpu in Always up.
      Chad Brown

Comment

Steve et al,

One of the issues with multiple instances is the session folder. There are three was to handle the session folder.

1st, do nothing. The effect of this is all sessions for all instances go into the same session folder. This is a problem because when one of the instances dies (and it will!) and you have to restart it, the session folder gets rebuilt. So, you lose all session variables for all instances. Not good!

2nd, specify different names for each folder. I tried this a while ago, and it really messes things up because the WAS will build the filter you specify and use it sometimes and will also build a default folder and use that other times, so you can't always find your session variables or print files. Also not good. There have been a few patches since I tried this, so it may have been changed.

3rd, change the session folder in the config file to "__default__" (you can copy that from the session software setting to make sure you have the right number of underscores). When I tried this, it creates a session folder using the ip as part of the folder name, so you get separate folders for each instance. The problem I had with this is the print routines weren't looking in that folder for the temp files. I haven't had time to chase this, but we'll need to look at the value in session.session_folder and make sure it is getting set properly in each instance.

My preference is 3 if the printing issue can be (or has been) resolved, but for now, I'm using 1 and letting the dead instances sit until the users go home, then restarting.

Pat
        Pat Bremkamp
        MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Gentlemen, the WAS instances will automatically bind themselves to cores. [In addition, the instances will automatically generate their own session folders. -- incorrect, see below]

If you're controlling these by hand, you're doing too much work, probably based on experience with older versions.
          Last edited by mheller; 06-24-2010, 12:21 PM.

Comment

A comment on the load tests based on logins: The security component, which is based on DBF tables, is not as scalable as the rest of the system when you use a SQL database. We have a procedure for upsizing the security tables to active link tables against a SQL database, and you should use that if login times become an issue. You must use that if you want to load-balance multiple boxes.

Load testing using a script that has all the users logging in at once does not reflect the real world. That's a common mistake. Even if you tell all your users to log in at the same time, they usually don't hit the mark -- the logins are spread over several minutes, and you typically don't see many overlapping logins.

When you're load testing, you also need to script realistic "think times" between actions.

Comment

In addition, the instances will automatically generate their own session folders.
              Martin, what does that mean in terms of what we enter in the config file for these two settings? I copied these from a working config file, including the assigned value.

SessionFolders.Path = "C:\a5\a5webroot\project\session_folders_-80\"
              SessionFolders.Url = "/session_folders_-80/"
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

I just updated one of my sites to the latest patch of V10, and the default configuration file still shows the hard coded session folder info as Steve stated.

The issue is not actually the session folder itself, but the session folder directory.

So, if you are using IP binding and change the session folder and session folder URL to "__default__", then each separate instance will create it's own session folder directory using the ip as part of the name, for example in my site I have the directories
                session_folders_174.121.111.139
                and
                session_folders_174.121.174.250
                and so on.

I just confirmed with a5w_info() that the two session folder session variables in A5 are being set correctly and that the sessions are being created in the correct folder.

I still need to confirm that the print routine can find the printouts that are routed to the session folder.
                Pat
                Pat Bremkamp
                MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Pat is right; I just checked.

We worked out a scheme where the instance session folder directories would automatically be differentiated by port number, but you're differentiating instances by IP address. You could call them sessN, where N is the instance number, as long as the path and URL match up.

Comment

This is becoming a very important topic.

I guess an important question is if this was a PHP or .Net application would you still need paralleling and the associated hardware costs? If not the difference would need to balanced against the savings by maintaining your own web application.

I have been soliciting quotes for hosting my application once it goes enterprise(hardware/licenses using a dedicated server) using a MySQL back end. I am being cautious because of confidentiality, but this needs to be part of the discussion. So I cant say what kind of servers etc since it is a proprietary configuration, but in place of this I can say that the service provider is highly competent in selecting the correct type of server,# processors, RAM, number of parallels etc. It was made very clear that testing is needed and this is extremely preliminary. The 20 user range is based on my own testing (real data) and is a single core dedicated window server with a single instance of WAS. Load tests fail after 20 users. Also, for confidentiality reasons instead of using price I broke this down into the number of simultaneous users for every dollar spent. What is important though is how the data is curved which shows efficiencies as the number of users goes up.

Users # users per $1 spent
                    20 2
                    100 18
                    1000 287

So does this look about the same as hosting a PHP or .Net web application?
                    Last edited by koga101; 06-24-2010, 04:51 PM.

Comment

This thread has been most informative. Thank You for all who contributed.

Comment

Lets face it Alpha has a great product that is why we are all here and use it on a daily basis. Sure its scale-able however at a cost of multiple servers and load balancing. Eventually to be a enterprise software it needs to handle at least multiple cores and most likely 64 bit.

Features we have now lets get some real speed and scalability without all the extra tweaks and money thrown at it to make it work on big projects.

Obviously I mean larger than mine,

I am a happy customer and enjoy working with Alpha, its just a few thoughts on what I think V11 needs to have or be!
                        Chad Brown

Comment

Hi guys,

Has anyone found any time to put together a step by step guide to set up multiple instances of WAS?

This would be very useful to all of us creating db's with lots of concurrent users.

I certainly am one of them.

Thanks,

Denis

Comment

we can assist on this through our professional services group

please contact me if you want more details
                            thanks

[email protected]
                            Richard Rabins
                            Co Chairman
                            Alpha Software

Comment

Just wanted to mention that I will be going the SQL server rout. It seems that non-profit organizations have very low licensing fees for Microsoft products. So low that it does not make sense to go with MySQL, which was originally chosen because it was free rather than being pretty :o

What will be interesting is that the whole set up will be done in-house, rather than by a hosted solution, and by network administrators utilizing their existing resources to have the largest number of simultaneous users. The variable cost is bandwidth.

When I have an outcome I will post it here. Hopefully it will offer additional options to developers when providing Cost of Ownership projections for mid to large size organizations.
                              Last edited by koga101; 07-20-2010, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Just wanted to update everyone I have now changed off of the 6 instances due to the Amyuni driver locking up all instances if more than one instance uses the driver at the same time. This was happening on average every three days and it was taking out all of the instances. I have now changed to multiple servers at a greater expense in both licensing and server charges.

In conclusion the multiple instances did work good for scalability however in the long run if you are using printing on those multiple instances you will have issues with the Amyuni driver queue locking up and taking out all of the other instances as soon as a user tries to print from that WAS.

This project is not in a test, this is a live site and is as real world as it gets.

Looking forward to some enhancements from the WAS side of things. We can make some very exciting sites from the Alpha Five soon we need a server that can keep up to Selwyn's great features.
                                Chad Brown

Comment

Working...
                                X