Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Successful 6 Instances of WAS

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Successful 6 Instances of WAS

All,

Thanks for the clarification.

A bit like the HD ready TV that isn't fully HD that my dad has just bought.

So it is a case of suck it and see re: how many concurrent connections in effect.

Chris

Comment

i am not sure i understand your last posting Chris

what kind of app are you building and how many concurrent users do you have (concurrent being defined as how many users will be requesting info from the server at the same time- which is often a smaller number than total number of users of an app)
      Richard Rabins
      Co Chairman
      Alpha Software

Comment

A good old English saying that pretty much means will need to test to see how many concurrent users that the WAS will actaully be happy with.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Turnbullca View Post
          ?????????? Mileage

BTW the Bea recommended 8 Gb for a windows server 2003 installation but unless something has changed Server 2003 will only refernce 4gb.
          If that is recommened then it's mentioned as for the OS at minimum I assume. Count in MYSQL engine /Broker + number of clients connected to the MYSQL engine [ read info Chad 900MB]plus number of WAS instances your running at the time. You have the average or what you might need.
          As replied before how more RAM the better,it's your choice.

Hope this helps

Eric

Comment

Richard, can we get my Application tested by Alpha so that everyone can get some answers to these questions. I know that you have run some testing before but those from what I understand thosea are tests on servers and running through load balancing.
            Chad Brown

Comment

Chad, I don't think Alpha runs tests on their own. the study in question involved a professional testing company. You can test your application pretty quickly at http://loadimpact.com. Free for simplistic tests, create an account for testing up to 50 concurrent or pay some money to be able to test for more users or write more complex testing scripts.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve, I have tried this before but my concern is that the test is only going to a main page which is my login screen. I would have to create a page with no security and hit that page instead of the login page to get a true concurent user numbers.

As soon as I get a chance I will try this out and post the results for you all.

Thanks
                Chad Brown

Comment

Ok here is the loadtest that I have just done on one of the 6 instances. Just to my login page. I can tell you that I was using one of the other instances at the same time and had no significant delay whatsoever.

Remember this is one instance one core only.

http://loadimpact.com/result/cwc-inf...1b04947001ba27

http://loadimpact.com/page_analysis/...33b7edf5ea5abf
                  Chad Brown

Comment

thats not a very representative test Chad, since you are not even calling any database where the real work is done between alpha and the DB

you should at least make a grid with some records on it and set it to always allowed (no need to turn off
                    security)

BTW 8 sec for 40 concurrent users acceding just the login page doesn't seems very promising and contradicts the ultra optimistic results of 120 concurrent users on 1 WAS I see on some posts (is 'kinda' like the 5 minute made application)
                    Last edited by mmaisterrena; 06-22-2010, 06:21 PM.
                    Cheers
                    Mauricio

Comment

I realize that this is a very simple test when I have some time I will create a grid that will get a result from mysql tables. And post the results.
                      Chad Brown

Comment

Ok now you got me going here is a test to a page that has a grid with 20 fields 18000 records displaying 10 rows of data. Mysql backend.

Mysql was 600meg of RAM and Server was 185meg of RAM.

Keep in mind the Mysql was still serving the other 5 instances at the same time as this test was running and as before signing into any of the other instances were unaffected by the test.

Here are the results and again it is one core one instance.

http://loadimpact.com/result/cwc-inf...2285bf2f613b3e

Also a side note while the test was running I signed into the site under this instance and went to several different grids and reports... They were definitely slower but they still worked fine.

Hope this helps shed some light.
                        Chad Brown

Comment

Chad,

I am about to start my testing on my new shiny bright dedicated server and I hope it is ok to ask a few questions:-

1) If I have a 4 core processor how do tie a WAS instance to a particular Core.

2) Can all 4 instances of the WAS be aasigned the same port - which in my case will be 443.

3) What do you mean by "you need a machine that can handle multiple ip address's" is that multiple NIC's or can you assign an ip-address to each core.

I will be load balancing through Windows DNS on a round Robin and I have always up and I am planning to use it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Comment

Chris, it so happens that I was setting up an 11 instance WAS this evening so I took notes. This is just a task list, anyone doing this will need more information than what I list here:
                            1. Create c:\a5installs folder to hold all the config files
                            2. Create c:\a5logs to hold all logs
                            3. Find the config file using ?a5_GetAppServerConfigFile()
                            4. Copy config file to c:\a5installs
                            5. Rename file to something simple such as IP162.XML (e.g., will be binding to IP ending in 162)
                            6. Clean up THAT file before copying
                            7. - point all logs to c:\a5logs.
                            8. - make the log names simple such as projectname162_error.log (the error log for project A, IP address ending in 162)
                            9. - bind this file to first IP address
                            10. - save this XML file as the first
                            11. Make x number of copies, as many as you will have instances of A5WAS
                            12. Rename each such as IP163.XML, IP164.XML, etc.
                            13. Edit each one of them to bind to the proper IP address. Good to change the Systray_Title value also to match the filename, e.g., "IP162".
                            14. You can name each log differently to get individual logs, or all the same name to consolidate (my choice)
                            15. Create one entry in AlwaysUp
                            16. - Name, same as your config file plus project name, e.g, ProjectnameI_P162
                            17. - Application - points to A5WAS
                            18. - Arguments: -ConfigFile=C:\A5Installs\IP162.xml for the above example.
                            19. Configure THIS AlwaysUP setting to what you want for all
                            20. - Restart tab: default
                            21. - Monitor tab: best to NOT alter this until you know how your WAS instances will behave
                            22. I normally check to restart the service every day at 3AM, make A5WAS a little more healthy
                            23. - Email tab: config to send you alerts.
                            24. - Startup tab: You need to modify EACH of your instances to Pause for X seconds, each instance a few seconds more than the previous. Don't want 20 instances of A5WAS all starting at the exact same moment.
                            25. Add X copies of your AlwaysUP setting (Richt-click > Add Copy)
                            26. Rename each and change the name of the xml file in the argument box for each.
                            27. If you are ready to start the instances in AlwaysUP, click Application > Start All
                            28. If you have Windows 2008, likely none of the icons will appear. Pick one, right click and select Restart in this Session.
                            29. Do that for all of them if you need to see the icons.
                            30. If you need to, configure each ONE of the servers for Email Setting. They all share email settings.
                            31. If you can find a setting for it, turn OFF the ballon help for the green A5WAS icons. Most annoying when you have 20 instances.
                            Steve Wood
                            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve

Thanks for posting, I don't know enough to following some if the instructions. Do Alpha not have a tutorial on this matter?

I will probably have a million and one questions but will start out.

Will you still hit the July 1st date for the MySQL version of Alphatogo?

Also, I don't know if you are a soccer fan but well done on topping the group at the World Cup and beating us into 2nd place.

Thanks

Chris

Comment

It's kinda MySQL version -or- soccer at this point. But I am knee deep in it now. Shifted to MySQL as the standard, and except for a few shortcomings, love the NaviCat GUI for MySQL.
                                Steve Wood
                                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                                X