Alpha Video Training

Thread: A little help and guidance - record export

Real Name
    Greg Roy

Default A little help and guidance - record export

Hello,

I have a .dbf table with inventory records. I need to provide a way for a user to review and then export the records. I need to keep track of what records have been exported. I created a status field for that purpose.

I am thinking a form with a embedded browse or just a browse to review and select individual records (and a select all option?) Then a way (script tied to a button) to run the export and update the status field.

I am just learning Alpha Five, no scripting experience other than some Action Scripting.

Am I looking at this correctly?

Thanks

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Default Re: A little help and guidance - record export

Greg,
    Export to what format???? Several to choose from--excel, pdf, text,.... And also from where---the table, a default browse, a saved browse, a form, a report, etc......????

Hmmm....just noticed you did state from possibly an embedded browse....
    Mike

Real Name
    Omar Garcia

You'll probably want to set some field as logical and when the user is viewing the browse you can display it as a check box; The user checks the box 'on' and when done you can export all those 'true' records, then update your existing status column as exported and clear the marked records using an update.

So you'll want to build you operation to export data as you need it with the condition to export only those records marked as exportable.

Create a second operation to update the marked records as exported (perhaps a timestamp) and clear the record as exportable.

From the form/browse you can set a button to perform the operations.

Real Name
    Greg Roy

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
    Greg,
    Export to what format???? Several to choose from--excel, pdf, text,.... And also from where---the table, a default browse, a saved browse, a form, a report, etc......????

Hmmm....just noticed you did state from possibly an embedded browse....
    Oops, export to Excel. And, from a form or a browse. Not sure what is correct/best.

Thanks.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Here you go Greg....a small example using action script. I created 2 fields for the child table called Tag and Status. I used 2 saved operations that run off of the Export button which are filtered for the logical Tag field. I used the ADO export...the AlphaDAO is more powerful, but is a bit more involved to use.

Extract to a separate project and open up the Demo2 form....

Attachment 24853

PS: if you had uploaded your project, I would have used your actual tables and such....maybe something for you to consider doing next time....I had this example already open from someone else so is not completely specific for you.
    Mike

Real Name
    Greg Roy

Here you go Greg....a small example using action script. I created 2 fields for the child table called Tag and Status. I used 2 saved operations that run off of the Export button which are filtered for the logical Tag field. I used the ADO export...the AlphaDAO is more powerful, but is a bit more involved to use.

Attachment 24853

PS: if you had uploaded your project, I would have used your actual tables and such....maybe something for you to consider doing next time....I had this example already open from someone else so is not completely specific for you.
    Thanks Mike. Really appreciated. I am going to fire it up now. Did not even think bout attaching the table.

Real Name
    Greg Roy

Mike, Thank you. It helped me. I was close but your example made it easier. One last question... I would like to add a button or check box on the form to do a "Select All" in the browse. Any pointers?

Attachment 24853

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Greg,
    Easiest way for you would be to use an operation maybe--an Update one am thinking that would set your Select field to True for every record....as this uses a table method you most likely will also have to do a topparent.resynch() afterwards so that your form/browse will reflect the changes.

Usually I see something like this called from a button but I see from your screen shot that you may be wanting this to happen via a logical checkbox....using the OnArrive of the form and the OnChange event of the Select All Checkbox, the operation could be called based upon whether the checkbox is True or False....
    Mike

Real Name
    Greg Roy

First, Thank you very much for your help. I really do appreciate it. I am going with a button. I was thinking check-box....but have decided against it.

Again. Thank you.

Greg,
    Easiest way for you would be to use an operation maybe--an Update one am thinking that would set your Select field to True for every record....as this uses a table method you most likely will also have to do a topparent.resynch() afterwards so that your form/browse will reflect the changes.

Usually I see something like this called from a button but I see from your screen shot that you may be wanting this to happen via a logical checkbox....using the OnArrive of the form and the OnChange event of the Select All Checkbox, the operation could be called based upon whether the checkbox is True or False....