Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Which SQL database will you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which SQL database will you use?

Hi Steve,

I'm developing an application that using Oracle for is main tables
    as thats our main DB vendor here.

but I will also be connecting to a MS SqlServer database running a payments ledger

and get this...

An IBM AS400 database

So far all have been completely painless!

Garth

Comment

I'm not very familiar with any of them, but I chose MS SQL Server since that is used in most of the apps at the College where I do programming. I've only tinkered so far, but I look forward to working more and more with SQL, as it is certainly more robust. Alpha has given us great tools for it as well.
      Stephen Pilon
      Associate Librarian
      Christendom College

Comment

This very timely for me, as I am trying to figure out which flavor of SQL to use. A question to those using MS SQL Express, if this is loaded on a XP Pro machine, are you limited to 10 concurrent connections?

Thanks!

Alan

Comment

Dont know but as far as i know for a web app you only need 1 connection (correct me if im wrong)

anyways i found this
          32767 connections
          http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/...-max-conc.aspx
          Cheers
          Mauricio

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Lee View Post
            A question to those using MS SQL Express, if this is loaded on a XP Pro machine, are you limited to 10 concurrent connections?
            10 connection limit is related to netbeui not to tcp/ip, with this patch (*) you can serve unlimited tcp/ip connection with XP, we have installation with firebirdsql on xp with more than 50 concurrent users (local and terminal).

(*) http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497

Marco
            Italy
            Marco Kregar

From the north of Italy, here ....

Comment

I am using MS SQL because of the triggers, functions and other stuff that is not quite as advanced in my sql.

Comment

Am I right in understanding that there is no free version of MS that works in 64bit? If so why would you not use mysql which does support 64bit. I can tell you that the 64bit version is at least twice the speed of 32bit. To me there is no reason to steer away from mysql. As for any limits if you ever have tables that are exceeding the size limits on mysql you can afford the enterprise version which is very reasonably priced at 600ish.
                Chad Brown

Comment

Oracle...
                  Land of the Free, Because of the Brave
                  Support our US Military

Comment

I use Sybase SQL Anywhere, very powerful, scalable, crossplatform, stable, and simple to use.

Comment

I agree, I love SQL Anywhere. But I don't see any native support for it in Alpha 5.

Though I suppose you can still hit it ODBC.

Comment

We use Sql anywhere at work as well. Can a connection string be built in Alpha5 to connect to this DB?

Comment

MS SQL 2008 Express because that is what I am used to using. I downloaded MYSQL, PostgreSQL, DB2 Express-C, and Oracle Express, but found that the familiarity of the management GUI (SQL Server Management Studio) meant less time in designing and creating tables and more time with Alpha Five design.

Comment

Steve:

I vote for MS SQL Server Express.

Frank:

1. SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Download
                            --- Bare Bones Server

2. Microsoft SQL Server2008 R2 Express with Advanced Services
                            --- This is the complete Server with Management Tools and Management Studio. If you have the disk space this is what you want

3. Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Management Tools

4. Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Management Studio
                            --- Visual tool for managing the MSSQL Database, Create Databases, Table, Views, Triggers, StoredProcedures etc.

Comment

I considered using MS SQL Server Express for a while. I figured that the increase of allowed database size to 10G per database eliminated concerns about exceeding the available capacity. I later changed my mind and settled back on MySQL for a couple of reasons.

I found that the MS SQL Server Express installation was pretty complex and not something I would want to leave in the hands of others. On my XP Pro laptop it required the application of a MS "Hotfix" which is always pretty scary. By comparison, the MySQL install and configuration is something that can be done with a simple set of instructions. By itself, however, this wouldn't be enough to stop me using MS SQL.

Almost all medical applications now have the capability for scanning and secure storage of documents/images in the back end. This will be a key feature of what I will be doing and so I talked to someone who is already doing this and has a couple of years of scanning to a back end already done. I was pretty surprised to learn that the total of scanned and stored (not necessarily scanned) items, in several tables, is already more than triple the maximum available capacity of MS SQL.

Although the 10G sounds big based on typical dbf type uses, people move to a server database for the additional things they can do. So, if a business of any kind, medical office or not, is considering digital document/image storage, 10G looks pretty small. And most people, I think, choose MS SQL on the basis that they will never exceed the available capacity. As they say, never say never.
                              Finian

Comment

Hi Finian

Is the large database size because the documents are stored in blob fields rather than linking to them?

Kind regards

Glen
                                Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X