Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How To Code MsgBox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How To Code MsgBox

SUCCESS!!!! The confirm box works beautifully and the code I was trying to execute is testing perfectly. Thank you, again, Selwyn... that helps a lot in my decision making process about whether Alpha might be able to do what I might need in the future should I ever decide to take a web app further than simple extras for my builders.

Peter, thanks for saying that about the CHS program complexity. The form I was trying to replicate was an extremely simple form in Access, didn't do much except allow a user to add to a list of parent categories to be used in several related child tables. It also allowed the user to delete the category IF it had not been used in the child tables. That's ALL, and it took many, many lines of code in Alpha to accomplish what a few lines of code in Access did.

Most of the other several hundred forms in CHS are WAY, WAY, WAY more complex than this one, many of which have tons of lines of code in Access. So, I can only imagine how many lines of code these would require for a web app. And I haven't even begun to address the hundreds of reports. It WOULD be an absolutely HUGE job to migrate CHS to a web app. I'm not sure how much time Selwyn has spent looking around at all the videos and features in CHS on my web site, but I think he is underestimating the task. That's ok, cuz with this latest exercise and his efforts, I am starting to see a glimmer of possibility, though. (and at the very LEAST, a year or more of dedicated hard work, probably more.... yeah, right, that's what I thought when I started the CHS project... and NINE SOLID YEARS of development later.... :).

I literally get no bug or fix it calls from my several hundred CHS customers. And they do ALL of their accounting, job costing, payroll, etc., etc., and run their businesses using it every day and depend on it. CHS is very, very solid and so, of course, it makes me very leary of doing ANYTHING that would introduce instability.

My evaluation of Alpha has resulted in some bug fixes and enhancements that Selwyn has handled. While the need for fixes has caused me concern, I am also calmed by the fast handling of them, and would hope that would continue once I am a real customer. I know that no builder would have purchased CHS if they had encountered more than one 'fix' that needed to be done during their evaluation. However, I am a developer, so have an understanding of what Alpha is going through, whereas my builders won't.

Carol King
    Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions software
    http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com
    Carol King
    Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)

Comment

I loved your Tapestry album!
      Tommy Thompson
      Thompson Consulting Services
      Beautiful Kentucky Lake, Springville, TN 38256
      [email protected]

Comment

Cute, Tommy. Isn't she great? I do actually escape to an artist side of me... http://ckinggalleries.smugmug.com/ but nobody would want to hear me sing. :)

And on that note.... I had just reached a point in my life where I could pursue more of the artist side... CHS solid... not much demand for anything added by builders., etc., etc., so you can see why I get a little freaked out by the thought of being sucked into the programming quagmire again.
        Last edited by kingcarol; 08-10-2010, 04:13 PM.
        Carol King
        Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)

Comment

Selwyn's video set #85 and downloadable component is another great contribution here. I'm counting on Monsieur Heller to document all this in hardcopy print. ;)
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Hi

I am trying to import aschii files using ajax callback but i want to prompt for confirmation from user before importing a batch.
            Tried to implement Video#85-6&7 and it is working fine in my test component with just 1 line code in my second ajaxCallback.
            But when i tried to implement it in my actual component, it does not recognize the second ajax Callback function loadLogbook.
            Please find an xbasic function declarations Attached herewith in a .txt filealong with the error i am getting.
            xbasicimport-0804.txt
            error-#85.png

i am doing exactly what is shown in video and still not getting the end result. Can anybody suggest what am i doing wrong here? OR is there a problem with my second ajax callback function?

Comment

Okay i forgot to mention one thing that individual component with this functionality works but as soon as i try to integrate it under a parent grid, It does not recognize the function.

Comment

3 Days! No reply...I really need to have some feedback on this issue OR I am thinking to report a BUG!

Comment

if you think that there is a bug, then by all means go ahead and report one.

however, in order to get a response from alpha you will need to report the bug more completely that you have done here.
                  you have not provided test files that can be run to duplicate the problem.
                  without test files that allow Alpha to duplicate the problem, there is nothing that Alpha can do with the bug report.

Comment

Thanks Selwyn ! I am working on duplicating the problem in Web_Applications_Demo and I completely understand the importance of test files.Here are the 2 test components attached:
                    LB_Parent.a5wcmp
                    LB_Child.a5wcmp

Also here is a copy of bug Report that I sent:

Alpha Five Version (Registered): 10.5 Compiler: Microsoft C Compiler version 1200
                    Build: 4369
                    Addins: 3712
                    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
                    Bug Description: Failure to recognize the Ajax callback function when trying to link a component under a parent grid component.

-Attached are 2 grid components: LB_parent and LB_Child, Error screenshot and my original functions in a .txt file(Please look at my previous post).

-LB_Child has an Ajax Callback function-TestPrompt, which calls another xbasic function(loadLogbook) after confirmation from user. LB_Child component works fine alone.

-PROBLEM: When I try to integrate LB_Child under LB_Parent , it stops recognizing loadLogbook function.
                    Last edited by Purvi; 08-08-2011, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the file. The issue is not an Alpha Five bug. It is a bug in your code.

The issue is quite subtle.

You Xbasic event handler needs to be changed as shown below:

You will notice that we do NOT use the {grid.object} or {grid.rowNumber} placeholder because these placeholders are getting replaced with the parent grid's alias at the time that the row is expanded. This is obviously NOT what you want and it explains why you are getting the error. The second callback is being made to the parent grid, not the child grid, and of course the xbasic function is not defined in the parent grid, it is defined in the child grid.

Instead, we use {grid_object} and {grid_rownumber} as our placeholders, and then we use data that is passed into the Xbasic function in the e object to compute the values for these placeholders.

The alias of the Grid is in e.tmpl.componentName. So the Grid object for the grid is e.tmpl.componentName + "_GridObj"

Code:
                      function TestPrompt as c (e as p)

dim jscmd as c
                      	'{grid.object} - e.tmpl.componentName + "_GridObj"
                      	'{grid.rownumber} - e._selectedGridPartRow
                      		jscmd= <<%js%
                      			var answer = confirm('Are you sure you want to import this Batch?');
                      			task:(answer==true)?{grid_Object}.ajaxCallback('G',{grid_RowNumber},'loadLogbook','','_getData=true'):alert('Import Operation Cancelled By User.');
                      			%js%
                      			jscmd = stritran(jscmd,"{grid_object}",e.tmpl.componentname + "_GridObj")
                      			jscmd = stritran(jscmd,"{grid_rownumber}",e._selectedGridPartRow)

TestPrompt =  jscmd

end function

You could actually have found this out for yourself quite easily by putting a debug(1) into the testPrompt() function and then running your grid in working preview.

Comment

Thanks for your Valuable Reply Selwyn..I really appreciate your explanation on this issue! Thank you very very much!
                        I did put debug(1) in xbasic function and got this error Error-GridObject.png but couldn't understand why it is giving me this error?
                        I didn't even realize at that time that it is trying to look for the xbasic function in Parent grid. But now it is all clear!

I just have one humble suggestion: If i can find a documentation/Video explaining all the parameters in e variable in detail somewhere, that would have been a great help for newbies like us(with a very little knowledge of xbasic). I know we can see e variable with all the parameters in xbasic debugger, but this is just to have the basic knowledge about most common parameters. I know most of your videos have explanation about it, but if we can find it under one roof, it will be easier to understand the error better.

Again, I really appreciate your time and effort for considering my issue and troubleshooting!
                        Last edited by Purvi; 08-09-2011, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X