Alpha Video Training

Thread: Web vs Desktop Application

Real Name
    Darryl Beard

Default Web vs Desktop Application

Alpha V10

I am wondering if I am barking up the right tree. I have built a quoting application in Filemaker 8.5 and have been using it for a few years.
    I am looking to publish this application to the web and offer it to subscribers of a website as a bonus for subscribing. Usage would be contingent on annual renewal of their subscription.
    As illustrated in the image attached, each user would have specific tables that the prices would be generated from based on cost from the main tables.

Can I do this as a solely web based app? < My preference
    When I have many users will this bog down the server?

Am I better of with a desktop app and can that desktop app require the annual subscription for use?

I want to offer a more robust package later but want to make sure I get the basics covered first.

Sorry for all the rookie questions.
    Thanks
    Darryl

Last edited by DarrylBeard; 06-22-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: obviously I have no business building a web app... i can't even attach a stinking picture to a forum!

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Default Re: Web vs Desktop Application

I will try a little to help. I don't do the web portion(yet) in alpha.

I see no reason your db should slow down very much with a properly designed web app. I would assume you are going to use a set of tables(sql) to hold all data with different people sharing those tables and a way for them to only see their own work?

You can definitely require a customer to renew yearly with a desktop app. I give them 15 days notice of when their rights will be terminated. I give them 2 days beyond that, but it shuts down until I give them another code for the next year. It's all how you want to set it up.

You appear to want the web side and I would agree for this type app. As soon as I can get other projects complete, I will go to the web with a few apps.

Are you planning to use sql?

Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Darryl Beard

Dave,

Thanks for responding. To be honest I don't know how I am going to proceed. I know what I want to accomplish, I just need to figure out the best way to do it in Alpha. In filemaker I have several linked tables and some case and if functions calling for different scripts per different variables to accomplish the pricing calculations. I do want to keep it web based for the pricing side of the application. My motivation is I want web based pricing for my own business.

I have gotten about half way through the security webinar so things are starting to look promising.

Real Name
    Steve Workings

I'm not sure why you'd have separate tables for each of your Users. Seems to me that this bears some review. Why not just keep, say, a single "shop_setup" table, and add a UserID to each shop_setup record? And do this for all the tables you list under Userx.
    -Steve

Real Name
    Darryl Beard

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Workings View Post
    Why not just keep, say, a single "shop_setup" table, and add a UserID to each shop_setup record? And do this for all the tables you list under Userx.
    Steve,

I am starting to see that is the right way to do this. I had to quit watching the webinar and it had just started touching on groups and user security. I will resume after I bowl league tonight...Pretty cool stuff..I'm already seeing the potential and know I made the right decision to go with this software.

Thanks
    Darryl

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

I will be presenting the IADN Web Application Showcase on Wednesday, June 30 that will demonstrate one way to accomplish what you want to do.

Admission is free, but attendance is limited to the first 15 signed up. You might want to check it out. Go to www.alphadevnet.com and click on "training"

Pat
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Real Name
    Darryl Beard

Pat,

Thanks for the heads up. I registered and signed up for the showcase. I will be the sponge in the room...

Thanks
    Darryl