Alpha Video Training

Thread: LOOKUP within a calculated field expression

Real Name
    Matthew Davison

Default LOOKUP within a calculated field expression

When I write this expression for a calculated field the expression builder tells me that the following expression is invalid:

Amt_used * LOOKUP("components", "Prim_Comp=components->Comp_Num", "Cost_per_unit")

"Amt_used" and "Prim_comp" are valid field names in a table named "material_usage". When I simply change the field name of "Prim_Comp" to "Comp_Num" and make the expression:

Amt_used * LOOKUP("components", "Comp_Num=components->Comp_Num", "Cost_per_unit")

It evaluates perfectly. Do the field names in separate tables need to match for the lookup to work properly?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default Re: LOOKUP within a calculated field expression

Amt_used * LOOKUP("components", "Comp_Num=components->Comp_Num", "Cost_per_unit")
    This may evaluate correctly but does it give you the desired result? Unless I'm missing something the filter expression in your second parameter matches every record in the lookup table.

Take a minute and tell us what you're doing.

Take a second minute and tell where you're defining the calc expression.

Take a third minute and tell us about the table and or set structures that are present.

Thanks.

-- tom

ps. Welcome to the message board!

Real Name
    Matthew Davison

With this expression I have "Amt_Used" which refers to the amount of "Prim_Comp", the primary component used in an operation. These two fields are located in the table "material_usage.dbf" and the expression is being written for a calculated field expression in material_usage named "comp_cost".

"Comp_Num" refers to a field in the table "components.dbf" that contains unique codes for different operation components. "Cost_per_unit" is a field in this table as well and contains the cost per standard unit of this compound.

What I'm trying to do is calculate how much it cost to use a certain amount of primary component for an operation.

"Certified" Alphaholic Mike Wilson's Avatar
    Real Name
    mike wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Sperrrow View Post
    With this expression I have "Amt_Used" which refers to the amount of "Prim_Comp", the primary component used in an operation. These two fields are located in the table "material_usage.dbf" and the expression is being written for a calculated field expression in material_usage named "comp_cost".

"Comp_Num" refers to a field in the table "components.dbf" that contains unique codes for different operation components. "Cost_per_unit" is a field in this table as well and contains the cost per standard unit of this compound.

What I'm trying to do is calculate how much it cost to use a certain amount of primary component for an operation.
    How is the expression based on the Materials_usage table capturing a field value based in the Components table? I think you didn't take that third minute that Tom suggested....
    Take a third minute and tell us about the table and or set structures that are present.
    Mike W

Real Name
    Matthew Davison

Gotcha,

Well the tables I'm using here are:

material_usage(Mt_Number, Op_Code, Prim_Comp, Amt_Used, Op_Comp_1, Op_Comp_2, Prcnt_Scrap, Comp_Cost, Scrap_Cost)

and

components(Comp_Num, Component, Supplier, Cost_Per_Unit, Supp_Desc, Mt_Desc)

I have a set "component_fk" linking material_usage as a child table to the parent table "components" where material_usage(Prim_Comp), material_usage(Op_Comp_1) and material_usage(Op_Comp_2) refer to a value in components(Comp_Num)

Op_Comp_1 and Op_Comp_2 are non-required character fields for primary component substitutions. The fields that I'm trying to compare are of the same type and length as well.
    Last edited by Sperrrow; 06-23-2010 at 11:33 AM.

"Certified" Alphaholic Tim Kiebert's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tim Kiebert

What are the field types of

material_usage->Prim_Comp

and

Components->Comp_Num
    Tim Kiebert
    Eagle Creek Citrus
    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Real Name
    Matthew Davison

material_usage->Prim_Comp and components(Comp_Num) are both character type fields with length 16

Real Name
    Tim Kiebert

Amt_used * LOOKUP("components", "Comp_Num='" + Prim_Comp + "'", "Cost_per_unit")

Amt_used * LOOKUP("table_name", "field_in_lookup_table='" + field in current table + "'", "result_field_in_lookup_table")

or

Amt_used * LOOKUP("components", "Comp_Num= " + quote(Prim_Comp), "Cost_per_unit")
    Last edited by Tim Kiebert; 06-23-2010 at 11:43 AM.
    Tim Kiebert
    Eagle Creek Citrus
    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Real Name
    Matthew Davison

You make this stuff look easy ^_^

Thanks for all the help guys!

I scoured the online help about building a filter expression and couldn't find anything even close to this form.

Real Name
    Tim Kiebert

Your welcome

Take a fourth minute , ;) and figure out why it works.

Here is a link from the help

and another from a serial poster ;)
    Tim Kiebert
    Eagle Creek Citrus

Real Name
    Matthew Davison

I had actually looked at both of those resources. The actual help page was confusing because I don't think I was able to define query.filter in a calculated field expression although the form is the same when doing that. I did however use that to aid in the referential integrity issues I had because this is an entirely web-based project. I had been referring to http://www.alphafivewiki.com/Expression+Components for most of the time while trying to figure out this calculation issue.