Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Multiple Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Multiple Choice

Originally posted by Scott_S View Post
    Sorry..
    The form was based on the set of album and song dbs (albumsongs.set)
    The fields on the CDInfo tab are from the album table (album.dbf)
    The Browse view primary table is songs.dbf and fields on the Fav tab are from the song table (songs.dbf)
    The Browse view primary table is album.dfb and fields on the Associated Albums tab are from the albums table (album.dbf)

HTH
    Just to be sure - did you specify the child table for the FAVS browse?
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Wilson View Post
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Scott_S View Post
      Sorry..
      The form was based on the set of album and song dbs (albumsongs.set)
      The fields on the CDInfo tab are from the album table (album.dbf)
      The Browse view primary table is songs.dbf and fields on the Fav tab are from the song table (songs.dbf)
      The Browse view primary table is album.dfb and fields on the Associated Albums tab are from the albums table (album.dbf)

Scott,
      I believe we have some language problems going on and some problems with compleness of description happening.
      Agreed...if only I knew Alpha better so that im on the same level as everyone

I'm not completely certain what your meaning with the term "primary table".

When on the entry form and you select the browse object window on one of the tabs.
      If you right click on the browse object window and select properties/setup tab/ under object description, it says there what the primary table is..

In your set, the parent table I am going to assume is ALBUM table and the child table is SONGS. These are linked in 1:M through the catalog number field ( or equivalent) in both tables.
      Correct
      Dont know if it matters but my Parent key for the Album Table is called 'Catalog_Number' and for the Songs Table is called 'Cat_Num'

Your form has three tabs, one displaying record(s) from the parent table (album), the second displaying records from the child table (songs), and the third displaying records from the parent table (album). UNDERSTAND THIS!!!
      Yes.
      Tab1 shows General Album info..Artist - Title - Genre - Format - etc ...(only one album shown at a time, all fields are 'Type in Fields'
      Tab2 should show the songs or favorites associated with the record shown on tab1. (But doesnt)
      Tab3 shows ALL albums associated with the Aritist shown in tab1 (Which it does)

The third tab will not show records different than the first tab since they are both viewing records from the same table under the same table open session unless you refilter the records. Then the first tab will show the records that the third tab will show. UNLESS you have a second instance of the parent table in your set and have the third tab browse viewing that. You wrote:
      Im only viewing one record on Tab1 as all fields are 'type in field' fields

Unless im going about it wrong..My issue is not with the Tab3 its with Tab2.
      Tab3 does what should and shows all the albums associated with the artist. -"ONTABCHANGE" script below was used for this tab. Do I not need it?
      I need Tab2 to just show the songs/favorites related to the record show in tab1 (currently if I pick a different album from the same artist and go to the favs tab then those songs/favorites dont change with the album

My script run from the "ONTABCHANGE" is
      Open Form - ENTRY
      Records that match the value in a control on the current form
      ...value in field ..artist_group_name
      ...Matches value in control ...group_or_artist_name

Are you saying I dont need this script to show the records on the Tab3

You don't mention what the ENTRY form is, what table/set it is based upon, whether this is the same as the tabbed form that you have been describing.....
      From post above...."The form was based on the set of album and song dbs (albumsongs.set)" and yes the tabs are on this form

Comment

Originally posted by MoGrace View Post
        Just to be sure - did you specify the child table for the FAVS browse?
        Yes..
        Guess I need to find a screen capture program so I can post some screen shots.

Comment

Scott,
          If you are using Windows then hit the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard, open up Microsoft Paint, press Control+V. Then you can use the selection rectangle box to copy any part of the image.....not a one-step procedure as third party software but works. Save generally as a PNG (seems best) or a JPG (JPEG) file.
          Mike

Comment

BUT why not zip a copy of your app and post it so we can see it and stop all this trying to piece little inputs? I'm about done...
            Mike W

Comment

Here ya go!

Comment

OK Scott,
                We have your example, now lets get to what exactly you want. There are several albums but very few songs. The tab1 and tab3 will show the table with all the same records available for viewing. It's just that tab1 will show one record at a time because it is a form view and tab 3 all the records because it is a browse view. So what exactly are you expecting/wishing to happen and viewed? An example like:

"I want to be viewing ALBUMN Sammy Hagar- "I never said goodbye" in tab1. The SONGS I expect to see in tab2 are x,y, and z because this, that , the other. In tab3 I expect to see ALL of the Sammy Hagar albums in the collection since I have Sammy Hagar as the selected artist in tab1."

Tag, your it....
                Mike W

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Wilson View Post
                  OK Scott,
                  We have your example, now lets get to what exactly you want. There are several albums but very few songs. The tab1 and tab3 will show the table with all the same records available for viewing. It's just that tab1 will show one record at a time because it is a form view and tab 3 all the records because it is a browse view. So what exactly are you expecting/wishing to happen and viewed? An example like:

"I want to be viewing ALBUMN Sammy Hagar- "I never said goodbye" in tab1. The SONGS I expect to see in tab2 are x,y, and z because this, that , the other. In tab3 I expect to see ALL of the Sammy Hagar albums in the collection since I have Sammy Hagar as the selected artist in tab1."

Tag, your it....
                  Several Albums and not all complete or accurate as I'm learning alpha. Guess I was more concerned in getting the internal workings of the program to work for me first before getting to involved with entering too much data.
                  Few songs because well, this was the original reason for this thread, to be able to mark my favorite songs.
                  My original thought was just to have a bunch of checkmark fields next to some track numbers so that I could mark the tracks I wanted. But things have drifted towards having a songdb. Plus dealing with the issue that not every Album has the same amount of songs and some albums are 'dual disk'.

Yes you are correct.
                  Tab1. Single record view
                  Tab2. Songs that are related to the the record in Tab1 (if the next Album is another Sammy Hagar album "3 Lock Box" then Tab2 should reflect the change and show the songs from that album)
                  Tab3. All Albums that are related to the current Artist in Tab1

Comment

OK,
                    Given that, you need to add a second instance of the album table to the set and have that viewed by the browse in tab3. I'll work it up and post it back here when complete.
                    Mike W

Comment

In the attached sample the set has been edited to include the Album table as a child of itself linked on the Artist_group_name field. (As per Mike's suggestion) In the Music_Entry form the browse on the third tab is now based on the Album1 alias of the set. The code on the tabchange events has been removed.

In response to the original question in the attached sample is a form called Music_Favs. The form is based on only the Album table. The form has twenty Fav buttons. The visible property of each button is dynamic and is based on the track count. The fill color is also dynamic and is based on the corresponding number being present in the 'Favs' field. The 'Favs' field is a new field added to the Album table. Pushing a button will either add or remove the corresponding number from the Favs field. The numbers are stored in a space delimited format: ie "01 02 05 12". The work of adding and subtracting the data is done by the 'Set_favs' UDF and is done through a field object on the form which is hidden. This allows for any changes to the favourites to be done at the form level and changes can be saved or canceled in the same way as any other form field.

There is also a more titles button to show additional titles by the same artist. The popup is an xdialog with an embedded browse. To close it click anywhere outside the browse. Double clicking a row will find that song in the main form.
                      Tim Kiebert
                      Eagle Creek Citrus
                      A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Mike, Tim,

Created the second instance of the album table and set the browse for the correct table. Works great.

Tim,
                        I've been looking at your sample db and clicking on 'more titles' brings up
                        a alpha error box which reads
                        Script UI_MODELESS_DLG_BOX: Additional Titles line 6
                        Browseobj1 = a5_xdialogDefaultBrowse(dlg_title,"browsecard_browseobj1", b function is not recognized.

also when checking the 'showfavfield' is this suppose to bring up another view?

Comment

Scott,
                          Tim inadvertantly used a new function that appeared only since v9 so cannot be used in the v8 you have..... Ooops! :)
                          Mike

Comment

Uhmmmm, yehhh, OOPS. My bad. :o

Actually that whole form probably won't work as it uses the new dynamic properties of v10.

I will try to rework it for v8
                            Last edited by Tim Kiebert; 07-18-2010, 10:39 PM.
                            Tim Kiebert
                            Eagle Creek Citrus
                            A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Kiebert View Post
                              Uhmmmm, yehhh, OOPS. My bad. :o

Actually that whole form probably won't work as it uses the new dynamic properties of v10.

I will try to rework it for v8
                              Ok thanks...

Few more questions if I may

1. Album tab vs Favorites tab - why am I able to adjust the sizing of the row of the browse on the album tab but unable to on the favorites tab?

I've reduced the height of the rows on the albums tab browse but when I do so on the favorites tab browse it goes back to a different size then what I adjusted it to?

2. Lets say I have a cd that is a tribute album to a certain group. I would like a way to associate it with the original group.
                              So thought I would use a 'sort by' field.

So data would get entered as such
                              Artist: XYZ
                              Title: Rock on
                              Sort By: AC/DC

Then if I select AC/DC for the associated albums tab, it would show XYZ / Rock on, along with other AC/DC albums in the browse or reports.
                              would this be possible?

Comment

Working...
                              X