Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Warehouse Inventory System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warehouse Inventory System

I am currently designing an inventory system for the desktop in v10.5 because it is where I am comfortable.

My question is what is the best approach to managing this system across two locations. Would a VPN between the warehouse and the office make sense to maintain the inventory? Or would a web application be best? I would host it on a static IP and keep the warehouse computer tied into the app and give the office access.

I am leaning towards the web app but I am concerned about security. Is the security offered by default in the application server fairly robust? I have little project requirements because the boss has tasked me to get it done. I want to use the best solution, I am just not sure what that is.

Re: Warehouse Inventory System

If you are comfortable in the desktop, why open the web can of worms? Sounds like a VPN is your easiest (least frustrating) route. Don't get me wrong, I love the web side, but it is a whole other universe. Don't go there unless you are truly determined or have an outstanding compelling reason to do so.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Alpha Five Application Server V10.5 is robust and secure in combination with valid SSL certificate you have a solid connection. It' used in HealthCare and Banking, Webshops > 500 shops etc. With the latest version Feature Pack is easy to use a grid in on the Desktop and Web. So depending on your needs you can have one or both.

BTW: there is nothing wrong with developing applications for the desktop it's all depending on the roadmap for your company what the best option(s) is/are.

Hope this help

Eric

Comment

Taking these points into consideration I think I will continue to develop on the desktop. Then once I have that implemented for awhile I think I will venture into the web app.

When I deploy this app I believe the run time will be the best package for this. But I am concerned about the networking of the app. Might there be any performance issues with deploying this on a wireless network?

Thanks guys for your help

Comment

It was my understanding question there is already a Alphafive Application in your company that is the reason i mentioned the Festure pack. If so that is what Genie for, easy implement a grid on the desktop and use it the same time for webusers.

But creating webapps put it in a seperate runtime desktop apps is more work then that you want i think. But is it's easier for you please ignore my answer.

About the wireless network if the database is SQL all request are placed on the DB, give it a try is best practice.

Comment

Like it or not, wireless is still just a touch slower than hard wired if both are set up to their best possible configuration. Rememeber that some of the hookups from inet providers also depend on some wireless. also, if your provider uses fiber optics, it could be faster than others.

I have many apps placed that use all kind of configurations and Alpha handles all of them as well as can be expected. Biggest problem is usually the hardware used in the location that slows things down(cards, switches, modems, etc).

I would go with the vpn and desktop if you are more comfortable with desktop and you only have 2 places. I do have 4 car lots on one server using vpn. I did not set up the vpn for them, their guy did that. It works well as long as the connections are up. Same with web apps though.

Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks Dave, those are good points.

I was considering wireless to enable a mobile cart to track inventory. But if I set up a stationary computer I do not need wireless and will drop a cat5 line to the computer.

I tested the signal strength today of bluetooth in the warehouse and I believe with a central computer I can reach every area with a wireless scanner. This way I can eliminate any performance issues and just use the scanner to transmit text to a waiting field on my app.

I am utilizing the same uuid's for my barcodes as I use for my primary key in my tables. So direct entry of these will ensure no errors (each key is 32 characters long).

I have built contact managers before but this is my first foray into inventory management. Any tips or suggestions are welcome, I would ask more questions but im not sure what pitfalls to avoid or what shortcuts work best.

Thank you for all your help

James

Comment

Hi James,

I am not too familiar with all types of inventory. I mainly do automotive including parts, vehicles, tools, etc. I do sales, leasing, financing, service and parts as a normal thing. This is probably not quite like yours, but if I can help??? I know others will too.

Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave,

When you do inventory related design do you assume complete control over the user interaction? Designing it so that they cannot do anything but what you have provided for them? Or do you offer 'wiggle room'?

And when you designed a parts system did you manually add each part or did you contact your supplier for their information? The problem I am running into is that some parts have useless numbers on them while others have documented UPC data. My plan is to just manually add each item with images.

I am leaning towards a kiosk style computer where the interaction is guided by my forms and user input. The input will be generated from a scanner or an image based selection system (kinda like the produce selection menus at those self checkout aisles at the grocery store) I was planning to install a runtime on the computer and just push any design changes from my computer.

Because I have never attempted such a system I am examining as much company processes as I can and then emulate them in an efficient manner on my system. The company recently hired me to build the system while selling parts on eBay, so company processes are all new. The boss does not know it yet but I wrote some xbasic to generate the entire ebay listing from my data in the system. (I think cheating is ok when you get paid for it :-D )

I want to do the least amount of work down the road and the most up front. But because this is the first time its tricky as to what is important and what is not.

Thank you,

James

Comment

James,
                    One possible gotcha that popped up for me when I read
                    The problem I am running into is that some parts have useless numbers on them
                    is that most suppliers/manufacturers change their numbers over time....I would allow for "Interchange" numbers to be shown as well when needed....I created just this aspect for a small marina ---only took a couple of hours total so not involved at all (sure beat their manual file card system hands down!).
                    Mike

Comment

Interesting idea. So like alternate part numbers? If an item ever changes part number store the older one for backwards searching?

Do you think storing older UPC data would be helpful as well?

Comment

I am not as familiar with UPC and their usage when changed....with item numbers of almost every industry I have seen, older numbers surface and without an interchange table/listing, finding the current number would take much more time or even be impossible to do for some situations. Industries I am referring to are product based and can be wholesale or retail .... anything that has a number associated with it.
                        Mike

Comment

I think that UPC in general are static. However I did discover that any UPC beginning with 004 or 4 is a manufacture assigned number. Usually assigned for internal use is my guess.

But I think I will add a field that tracks older part numbers. It would be useful to search in case a new number comes out

Comment

James,

I had to cope with several ways of which a bar code scanner was not one of them.

We scanned invoices(several different ones) for the parts numbers, desc, prices and quantity. We had a prts list sent over the internet of parts not in stock that could be searched and I had to trnspose thoce to dbf files in most cases. Some parts had to be entered by hand. It was fun.

I will be doing a lot more of it in the future and do not look forward to it at all.

OOPs - gotta go. Later!
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi !
                              I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X