Alpha Video Training

Thread: Could not refresh Detail View after inserting record. No records were found ...

Real Name
    Roger Noguera

Default Could not refresh Detail View after inserting record. No records were found ...

I have a grid with Updateable Detail view (SQL).
    Datasource is a SQL View.

When I Insert a New Record and press Save I get this message:

"Could not refresh Detail View after inserting record. No records were found when executing the 'Refresh row' query."

The insertion itseld is succesful, but Alpha5 is not able to refresh the detail view.

I guess it is related with the Identity field. It shows "0" before the record is saved, then SQL gives it a value and Alpha5 is not able to retrieve this new value.

If I change the Datasource to a SQL Table, the problem does not happen, but I miss a lot of fields that I need and are not in the table.

Preventing the Detail View from refreshing would be an acceptable solution, since I close the Detail View after Saving anyway.

Thanks in advance for your help.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Scott

Default Re: Could not refresh Detail View after inserting record. No records were found ...

same issue.
    However, having the detail view close after is not acceptable - so i need to figure out this refresh. anyone?

Real Name
    Oluwaseun Omotosho

Default Re: Could not refresh Detail View after inserting record. No records were found ...

please can anyone help with this error ... occurring after inserting into a grid ... a big thank you in advance

Real Name
    Oluwaseun Omotosho

Please can anyone help in resolving this issue ... thank you in advance ...

Quote Originally Posted by rnoguera View Post
    I have a grid with Updateable Detail view (SQL).
    Datasource is a SQL View.

When I Insert a New Record and press Save I get this message:

"Could not refresh Detail View after inserting record. No records were found when executing the 'Refresh row' query."

The insertion itseld is succesful, but Alpha5 is not able to refresh the detail view.

I guess it is related with the Identity field. It shows "0" before the record is saved, then SQL gives it a value and Alpha5 is not able to retrieve this new value.

If I change the Datasource to a SQL Table, the problem does not happen, but I miss a lot of fields that I need and are not in the table.

Preventing the Detail View from refreshing would be an acceptable solution, since I close the Detail View after Saving anyway.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Please can anyone help in resolving this issue ... thank you in advance ...

Real Name
    Carl M. Pearson

Unhappy Re: Could not refresh Detail View after inserting record. No records were found ...

I'm having the same issue with a critical data table, albeit a simple one.

I created a SIMPLE test table. Nothing exotic. I'm closing the detail after submit. Still get the error. I get it with both AlphaADO and SQL Statements.

I'm having it with several versions of A5, both AppServer and Developer.

SQL Server 2008 in full 2008 mode.

This is only happening with a SQL R/O grid with updatable detail view.

See attached image.
    Last edited by CarlMPearson; 02-23-2011 at 02:52 PM.
    Carl ~ Dallas, TX
    I'm so old that pool balls came with Roman Numerals

Real Name
    Carl M. Pearson

Unhappy Re: Could not refresh Detail View after inserting record. No records were found ...

I'm not using a view, just a simple table, and still get the issue. However, I am using an Identity as the primary key, so the clue below of ID being zero until submitted looks relevant.

If I don't use an Identity Primary Key it does not have the issue. Too bad, using an Identity PK is VERY useful in many situations. There has to be a way.
    Last edited by CarlMPearson; 02-23-2011 at 02:52 PM.
    Carl ~ Dallas, TX
    I'm so old that pool balls came with Roman Numerals

Real Name
    Paul Atherton

Just came across this thread, having the issue myself. Was a solution ever found?

Real Name
    Barry Jacobson

Ah, my fading memory ... I know I've seen this issue too, and gotten around it, but can't remember how. It may have been by explicitly turning off Update for the fields that did not come from the primary table.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Scott

This is usually caused by:
    Your grid uses some sort of INNER JOIN instead of a LEFT JOIN.

Example
    SELECT * FROM tbl1 INNER JOIN tbl2 ON tbl1.field=tbl2.field

When you insert a record - if no child record is put into table 2 - the select above will not bring back the newly added record. Hence the 'No Records found'.

Another reason for this is if you are not properly setting the e.lastInsertedIdentity in the OnBeforeSQLCommandExecute (this assumes you have coded your own OBSQLCE event).

Its mostly likely an inner join problem. Change the INNER join to a LEFT join.
    Scott Moniz - Computer Programmer/Analyst
    REA Inc.
    http://reainc.net
    (416)-533-3777
    scott@reainc.net

REA INC offers consulting services, programming services, systems design, database design, third party payment gateway integration (CHASE, PAYPAL, AUTHORIZE.NET) and developer support.
    If you need custom code, or 1-to-1 mentoring in any facet of your database/web application design,
    contact us to discuss options.

Real Name
    Roger Noguera

For updatable grids, do NEVER, EVER use SQL Server defined Views. Use Tables instead.
    If you need to use several tables, use the A5 SQL Query Builder to build the views inside A5.

Set all Ready-Only tables to Read-Only.

Since I do this, I never meet the problem again.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Lee Vasic

This is from an older post I put out there.

Row Refresh Problem Solved with stored procedure!

sql2 = "Insert into vLocationRef (Patients_ID, Facility_ID)
    (:Patients_ID, :Facility_ID)"
    flag = e.cn.execute(sql2,args)
    If flag = .t. then
    e.flagError = .f.
    e.errorText = ""
    e.rowsAffected = e.cn.affectedRows()
    e.SQLToDisplay = sql2
    e.ArgsToDisplay = ""
    Sql2 = "exec dbo.spGetLocationRef_ID :Patients_ID, :UserIdAdd"
    flag = e.cn.Execute(sql2,args)
    if flag then
    rs = e.cn.ResultSet
    e.lastInsertedIdentityValue = rs.data(1)
    e.rv.V.R1.LOCATIONREF_ID = e.lastInsertedIdentityValue
    End If
    else
    e.flagError = .t.
    e.errorText = e.cn.callresult.text
    e.rowsAffected = 0
    end if

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Scott

You didnt have to use a stored procedure.
    You are using a workaround/hackish method to get the grid to work.
    The grid should work by itself and if it doesn't then something else is wrong.

E.g the inner/left join I said before.
    Basically this error occurs like this:

You add data to your grid.
    You or the grid run insert code.
    The grid tries to refresh the data for the row by using hte grids SQL statement - it appends a WHERE clause using the e.lastInsertedIdentityValue.
    If the above statement does not find records - this error will be produced.

Examples:
    Grid statement SELECT * FROM client INNER JOIN client_information ON client.client_id=client_information.client_id
    Grid: Allows for insertion of client but does not insert any corresponding record into client_information
    Add data and hit Save - The error will be produced.

Example:
    Client table
    cliID 1 First Name: Joe Last Name: Bob

Client Information
    No corresponding records

After insert lets say we add Jane Doe.
    The statement will be:

SELECT * FROM client INNER JOIN client_information ON client.client_Id=client_information.client_id WHERE client.client_id=2 <<This statement will not return a record because the client information does not contain a corresponding record for client ID 2 and then INNER join will omit the records because of this.

The solution:
    Grid statement SELECT * FROM client LEFT JOIN client_information ON client.client_id=client_information.client_id

This will return the client records even if there are no client_information records.

Another Problem:
    In your grid events: make sure the e.lastInsertedIdentityValue is being set to e.cn.CallResult.lastInsertedIdentity (you may have to look these up - i forgot the exact name of these).

These are the 2 major problems that result in this record (from my experience): I have trouble shooted this error many many times and it 95% one of the above 2 problems.
    Scott Moniz - Computer Programmer/Analyst
    REA Inc.
    http://reainc.net
    (416)-533-3777
    scott@reainc.net

REA INC offers consulting services, programming services, systems design, database design, third party payment gateway integration (CHASE, PAYPAL, AUTHORIZE.NET) and developer support.
    If you need custom code, or 1-to-1 mentoring in any facet of your database/web application design,
    contact us to discuss options.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Lee Vasic

Also, you can use a view with multiple tables, however, on the view, you need to code the instead of trigger. The stored procedure will bring back the last identity and load it into e.lastInsertedIdentityValue. I wouldn't consider this a workaround. This view has all left joins. Some views are just more complex than others.

Real Name
    Stephen Attwood

I had the same problem. If fixed it in "Grid > Query > Select Primary Key". Select the primary key (if you haven't already) and check the "Primary Key is auto-increment?" checkbox (if your id is auto-increment like mine).

Real Name
    Donny Irsandi

The problem seem to be that you had populate a computed column in the select statement, and at the field property in grid it was set to updateable.

In my case, I just remove this computed field.
    I changed the logic, instead of using a select expression, I used a client expression in a grid property.
    and it worked fine