Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Newbie: Why doesn't Combo Box Respond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie: Why doesn't Combo Box Respond

Sorry for this dumb question... I'm using A5v10. I have a form with a dropdown combo box and xbasic within the <on change> and/or with <on push> and it will not work . However, the I put the same script on a button the script runs fine.

I know there is a simple explanation.... but I'm missing it ! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys �...You all have been very helpful !

Re: Newbie: Why doesn't Combo Box Respond

David,
    You may need to explain what "it will not work" means. Also, showing us the script that you are using would be of benefit as well.
    Mike

Comment

Your Right ....

Here is the actual xbasic... It simply turns on and off list boxes based on the result of the selection from the combo box <VC_init> which is a global variable. Thanks again !

DIM SEARCH AS C

if VC_INIT ="Program" then
      Programlist.show()

Sectionlist.hide()
      Positionlist.hide()
      PaySchedulelist.hide()

end if

if VC_INIT ="Position Title" then
      Positionlist.show()

Sectionlist.hide()
      PaySchedulelist.hide()
      Programlist.hide()

end if

if VC_INIT ="Section" then
      Sectionlist.show()

PaySchedulelist.hide()
      Programlist.hide()
      Positionlist.hide()

end if

if VC_INIT ="Pay Schedule" then
      Payschedulelist.show()

Positionlist.hide()
      Programlist.hide()
      Sectionlist.hide()

end if

Comment

David,
        The script seems fine and if you are using the OnChange event of your combo box then it should work to dynamically display your fields dependent upon your global variable's value. So have you made certain that the variable does indeed have a value? Once declared you can see the value easily by looking at the "V" icon that shows when in the code editor/interactive window.

You say it works when placed on a button....I take it that when doing this it is a 2 step process----using the combo box to set the value and then running the script from the OnPush of the button.....

I also am guessing that when you say it doesn't work that either none are showing...or that none are hidden....or that some are hidden but not the right ones....or...?

You may also try this--make sure all the fields Hide checkboxes in the properties of each are checked....and then try the other route--to have them all unchecked....believe the former is what I had to do one time or another to get a similar situation working.
        Mike

Comment

MikeC ...Thanks for the Response...

When I say that it does not work ...I mean after I select my choice from the combo box the appropiate list box should be displayed for that selection. However, no list boxes are displayed. But, if I put the same code on a button ...make my selection ...then hit the button... it works fine. Why ?
          All list boxes have been checked to be hidden and the variable VC_INIT is passing thru...

Comment

David,
            Just guessing without being able to see what you are looking at...
            When you say the
            variable VC_INIT is passing thru.
            are you certain? How do you know this? Is it a global variable? Is it being set differently from the button versus the Combo Box?
            Mike

Comment

When I say the variable is passing thru ... I have a script on a button which displays the VC_INIT variable within a dialog box. Below is that script.

result=ui_dlg_box("SELECTION",<<%dlg%
              {font=Arial,1,B}
              THIS IS WHAT THE PERSON SELECTED| {text=40VC_INIT};

<OK>
              %dlg% )

Now the newiest ! Beginning my session today ...the script worked perfectly fine... for the first run. Went into design mode and started my application again and no response. I have noticed other threads describing this same issue. Is this a symptom of another problem?

Comment

David,
                You neglected to answer as to what scope your variable is....if dimmed as local then that could explain what you are experiencing....without all information given, all is guesswork. That is why I, and many others who are not extremely insightful, like to have a sample given that illustrates a given problem....it saves time, gives a more specific solution, and takes most of the guesswork out of solving.

It is the lack of time for me...as now will be absent for most of the week from the board so someone else will have to come to your aid until I get back.
                Mike

Comment

Different Results at Startup

Running A5V10 Desktop. Has anyone noticed different results in applications after the script is run the first time. I have a simple combo box in an application, which after the selection is performed it will hide or show list boxes based on the users selection. However, it only seems to work when the application is first run. It will not run again until Alpha 5 is closed and re-started. Has anyone seen this type of behavior in A5v10 before? What other reasons could explain such behavior ?

Comment

Re: Different Results at Startup

MikeC...

I have made all variables global... just to make sure this was not the issue.

However, when I noticed the script works fine the first time Alpha 5 is initiated...made me think this could possible be a totally different problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X