Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Errror opening Grid table/view: Host/Server Not Found

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Errror opening Grid table/view: Host/Server Not Found

I am using an access 2007 database. I have published it ten times ... changing the settings to be so straight forward it should have no excuse but to work.

This is my cn connection string for the file part:

I have tried c:\a5webrooot\studiohahn.accdb (office 2007)

I have tried \\servername\a5webrooot\studiohahn.accdb

I assume it does work with office 2007 the same as a regular mdb?

The development machine has no problem running the code and connecting to the database. It is the web server that publishes the error.

the actual code that is published has an encripted security string so I can't really see how it looks on that machine. I can only hope it published it w the settings I gave it?

any ideas?

thanks,

mrh

Re: Errror opening Grid table/view: Host/Server Not Found

both above references to c:\a5webrooot should have been a5webroot (spelled correctly!). I went ahead and shifted gears to an sql database connection string. It works fine in test mode and it works fine on the alpha five ver 10 database (in live preview). It shows the data and it writes the data. However; when i publish the web app i do include the correct connection string that was working. When i try to access the .A5W page running on the app web server is still get the error opening grid message?

I am running the no-ip product? Would that make any difference? And I am using port 8080, does that matter?

thanks,

michael

Comment

You have a simple publication problem. You need to look at the server, see where the accdb file is, and fix up the target database connection string to match. You also need to make sure that the latest Access drivers are installed on the server.

Comment

I am still very stuck. I switched everything out to an sql connection stream which i can run fine in alpha 5. when I first published i receieved this message:

Error opening Grid table/view: Internal Error - Can't find named connection
        'Connect_SQL_DigitalHahn' - while converting named connection to connection string

So, On that apps web server machine I created and ODBC sql connection and ran a good test with the name Connect_SQL_DigitalHahn

My second test resulted in:
        Error opening Grid table/view: Host/Server not found

What is going on? I am simply trying to publish a simple project with one form and one component. It all runs fine on the computer with Alpha 5?

On the web server machine, i can connect just fine using the connection string with access.

Thanks so much.

Michael
        Here is my studiohahn.alm file which is seems to have the connecti0n strings:
        # @   <openWebControlPanel=.T.>
         .<connection_strings=<<%str%
        <a_con<[1]<name="CN_SQL_DigitalHahn">
        <connection_string="{A5API='SQLServer',A5DBVersion=2008,Server='216.243.10.125',A5ANSINullPadWarn=Default,UserName='digitalhahn',Password='��������',Database='digitalhahn'}">
        <description="CN_SQL_DigitalHahn">
        >
        <[2]>
        >
        %str%>
        oHahn">
        <connection_string="{A5API=Access,FileName='C:\Users\MRH\Documents\Alpha Five V10\studiohahn\Studiohahn.accdb',UserName='Admin'}">
        <description="CN_StudioHahn">
        >
        >
        %str%>
        <connection_strings=<<%str%
        <a_con<[1]<name="Connect_SQL_Via_ODBC_Digitalhahn">
        <connection_string="{A5API='ODBC',DataSource='digitalhahn',A5Syntax='SQLServer',UserName='digitalhahn',Password='��������'}">
        <description="Connect_SQL_Via_ODBC_Digitalhahn">
        >
        <[2]<name="Connect_SQL_DigitalHahn">
        <connection_string="{A5API='SQLServer',A5DBVersion=2008,Server='216.243.10.125',A5ANSINullPadWarn=Default,UserName='digitalhahn',Password='��������',Database='digitalhahn'}">
        <description="Connect_SQL_DigitalHahn">
        >
        >
        %str%>
        italhahn">
        >
        >
        %str%>
        <connection_strings=<<%str%
        <a_con<[1]<name="Connect_SQL_Via_ODBC_Digitalhahn">
        <connection_string="{A5API='ODBC',DataSource='digitalhahn',A5Syntax='SQLServer',UserName='digitalhahn',Password='��������'}">
        >
        <[2]>
        >
        %str%>
        Digitalhahn">
        >
        <[2]<name="Connect_SQL_Via_ODBC_Digitalhahn">
        >
        >
        %str%>

Comment

That looks all wrong. For one thing, we do native SQL Server, and you're going through ODBC. You're also looking at the wrong files.

You need to manually verify that you can reach the database from the server, and set up the publication profile for the server with a connection string that reflects that.

Comment

Ok, here is what I did.

I went ahead and created a brand new project with one form and one component. This time I had one simple sql native connection string (named string). And I published it ... with the named string.

Before publishing I tested the componenet. Worked fine.

When I created the connecton string I ran the TESTS. Worked fine.

On the app server workstation, I can connect to the sql database without a problem ... using either ODBC or the native sql server in access. Of I can connect using sql manager from the app web server workstation.

But, the app server won't work.

And, yes, I deleted all the files in the a5webroot folder before publishing?

Exact same error.

Also, Alpha Five Version 10 on my windows 7 workstation (quad 4, 4 gb of memory, Locks up again and again. Usually when I hit the preview button. It has crashed six times this morning. Yes, I updated to the latest build. Ok, just loced up again when I cliced on Web Componnets. Very frustrating!

this is the new connection string that does not work at the app web server level:

{A5API='SQLServer',A5DBVersion=2008,Server='216.243.10.125',A5ANSINullPadWarn=Default,UserName='digitalhahn',Password='��������'}

Thanks for your help.

Michael.
            Last edited by coyotemrh; 07-15-2010, 01:14 PM. Reason: add actual connection string

Comment

Show us the A5I file from the server.

Comment

Thanks Martin. The error occurs very quickly, almost like it does not actually go to the net and try to connect? Here is the A5I file from the server:

<%A5
                'This part of the .A5I page is generated dynamically based on the Application Variables,
                'Aliases and Connection Strings specified in the Profile that was selected when the Web project was published.

'Note about Application Variables
                'Because the Application Variables are dimmed as Global, they can be seen inside all functions
                'in the code contained in an .A5W page

'----------------------------------Application Variables ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                'No Application Variables have been defined

'----------------------------------Aliases ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dim _aliases_ as c
                _aliases_ = <<%txt%
                [PathAlias.ADB_Path]|{A5API='SQLServer',A5DBVersion=2008,Server='216.243.10.125',A5ANSINullPadWarn=Default,UserName='digitalhahn',Password='��������'}
                %txt%

'Creates a global collection called '_A5_Aliases'
                'At run-time, your Xbasic scripts can lookup an alias as follows:
                'myAlias = _A5_Aliases.get("myAliasName")
                DIM global _A5_Aliases as U
                _A5_Aliases = makeAliasCollection(_aliases_)

'-----------------------------------AlphaDAO Connection Strings ----------------------------------------------------------
                'This is a CR-LF delimited list of AlphaDAO connection strings.
                'Connection strings are encrypted. If you want to edit a connection string shown here, you can enter
                'an unencrypted connection string by ommitting the 'Encrypted:' prefix.

Dim _AlphaDAO_ConnectionStrings as c
                _AlphaDAO_ConnectionStrings = <<%txt%
                DigitalStreak_SQL|Encrypted:3MLNR/D8BLbOLVyV2vnymlT4970fFMs7f75fDdfEcUUuRVcU+j88CCHoGdtVuIcYPM3EbIiy+wwusEdzj+pO7loflWPKonnlfjWWM5SS3SYgGg8+AAnUs2ZIjFMCuP+Uv9cfgPD9+lkpBetxi8/zDFIOVgRrxjsWc15VZQ7dSP+d+XiOvKREqw==
                %txt%

'Create a global collection called '_A5_AlphaDAO_ConnectionStrings'
                'At run-time, your Xbasic scripts can lookup a connection string as follows:
                'myConnectionString = _A5_AlphaDAO_ConnectionStrings.get("myConnectionStringName")

DIM global _A5_AlphaDAO_ConnectionStrings as U
                dim gv as p
                gv = global_variables()
                _A5_AlphaDAO_ConnectionStrings = loadConnectionStrings(gv, _AlphaDAO_ConnectionStrings, "AlphaDAO")

%>

Comment

In one of the first emails in this thread you reported that you got this error:

Code:
                  Error opening Grid table/view: Internal Error - Can't find named connection
                  'Connect_SQL_DigitalHahn' - while converting named connection to connection string
                  This is a very clear error message. It is telling you that the named connection string called 'Connect_SQL_DigitalHahn' cannot be resolved.

There is only ONE way in which such an error could occur - the named connection string is not defined in the a5_application.a5i file.

Then, in a later message in the thread, you show your a5_application.a5i file. This is what you showed:

Code:
                  DigitalStreak_SQL|Encrypted:3MLNR/D8BLbOLVyV2vnymlT4970fFMs7f75fDdfEcUUuRVcU+j88CCHoGdtVuIcYPM3EbIiy+wwusEdzj+pO7loflWPKonnlfjWWM5SS3SYgGg8+AAnUs2ZIjFMCuP+Uv9cfgPD9+lkpBetxi8/zDFIOVgRrxjsWc15VZQ7dSP+d+XiOvKREqw==
                  %txt%

Clearly, the 'Connect_SQL_DigitalHahn' named connection is NOT being defined in you a5_application.a5i file.

The ONLY way that a named connection can be missing from the a5_application.a5i file is if it is not properly defined in the Web Publishing profile.

Comment

Ok,

I think that you all missed the part where I am having the same problem but with a different project. I opened a new simplified project since I could not make progress on the prior project.

The first error message was from a prior project.

The error message relevant to this project is:

In the publishing section of the project my named connection is:

DigitalStreak_SQL

with the connection string:
                    {A5API='SQLServer',A5DBVersion=2008,Server='216.243.10.125',A5ANSINullPadWarn=Default,UserName='digitalhahn',Password='��������'}

In the A5i file you requested is this reference:

%txt%

So, I am having trouble understanding the problem. The named connection does exist in the profile?

Please advise. Thank you.

michael

Comment

It is a long thread and i was responding to the post that showed an error message that says that the connection string could not be resolved.

Looking further down in the thread I saw a a5_application.a5i file that did not define the connection string in the error message.

But apparently I was responding to the wrong message in the thread, and now you want to know why you are getting this message:

Code:
                      Well, looking at your connection string, the server IP address is

Are you sure that this IP address is outside a firewall and can be seen from your server?

The error message suggests that it is not.

Comment

Selwyn,

Thanks for the help. Yes, the 216 server address is on the outside of the firewall. I can ping it from the app_web server workstation. I can also connect to it using access from the same workstation. Just something about the app_server that is not connecting to it or I have not set up correctly. I looking at my connection string, i added the database reference ... but am still having the exact same problem.
                        my connection string is now:

{A5API='SQLServer',A5DBVersion=2008,Server='216.243.10.125',database='digitalhahn',A5ANSINullPadWarn=Default,UserName='digitalhahn',Password='��������'}

thanks,

michael

Comment

ok, long shot. but i just checked with the isp and the sql server is Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition.

The string specifies 2008. And Alpha developer works fine and can access it and see it and pass test with it. Could that have something to do with it?

thanks,

mrh

Comment

Originally posted by coyotemrh View Post
                            ok, long shot. but i just checked with the isp and the sql server is Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition.

The string specifies 2008. And Alpha developer works fine and can access it and see it and pass test with it. Could that have something to do with it?

thanks,

mrh
                            Ok, this is a long shot, but this is what I think your problem is:

when i look at the password you have specified, i see that you have some high order characters in it.

can you please try changing your password so that you do NOT use any International characters.

Comment

Good try Selwyn, But what you are looking at is actually not the real password. Looks like Alpha encrypts it so that no one can see the real password. The original password is a plain vanilia short password with a single digit.

Any other ideas? This is the second day I am stuck.s

To Recap.

I have tried three projects.

1 - With Access

2 - With connection strings (both named and embedded).
                              with both native sql server and odbc

3 - Really simple project (this one) using one named connection string.

Each time they worked on the Alpha development machine.

Each time the connection string passed all the Alpha tests.

On the machine w/ the Alpha Web Server, Access can connect just find using the same connectoin string.

Any ideas?

thanks,

michael

Comment

Working...
                              X