Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

AlphaFive Version 10.5 Web Books ??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AlphaFive Version 10.5 Web Books ??????

Ladies / Gentlemen

Are their any good "AVAILABLE" books on AlphaFive Version 10.5 Web edition????????????????

I am not talking about ones that are supposed to be out in a couple of days and then another couple of days and then another couple of days - ones that are out now????????

I mean I like the product but the documentation is @$#(*&)#@.

Mark Moss

Re: AlphaFive Version 10.5 Web Books ??????

I agree 100% with the above.

Comment

Where are you stuck.. I'll do some video's to get you going.
      Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
      Albert Einstein, (attributed)
      US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Thanks for asking Peter.
        Imagine being hungry and you are presented with a scrumptious soup and a fork. That's Alpha five.
        The difficulty is not how to build a grid or how to link a child grid to a parent grid or how to arrange your components on a page. The video library explains this well.
        The big difficulty is with Javascript and Ajax callback. Example when you put a button on a grid in onclick --> Action Javascript --> inline javascript. In there there are "insert placeholder" and "Insert grid method" hyperlinks. We need a few examples on how to use these; when and how to use these placeholders and these grid methods. A few how-to examples for each grid method will help a lot. Same with Ajax Callback: In Action Javascript there is Ajax callback: when and how to use to use it.

We need many varied examples on how to move and set values from one grid to another using scripts, how to use javascript and ajax callbacks. When do we use one and not the other.

For example how to set a value in a field in parent grid with the sum of records from child grid. Another expl: With 2 grids on a page Grid1 and Grid2, from a button in grid2 how to create a new record in grid1 and insert in the newly created record a value from grid2.
        etc... etc...

Comment

Originally posted by gaby_h View Post
          ...We need a few examples on how to use these; when and how to use these placeholders and these grid methods. A few how-to examples for each grid method will help a lot. Same with Ajax Callback: In Action Javascript there is Ajax callback: when and how to use to use it.

We need many varied examples on how to move and set values from one grid to another using scripts, how to use javascript and ajax callbacks. When do we use one and not the other.
          You are absolutely correct with all the above.

For example how to set a value in a field in parent grid with the sum of records from child grid. Another expl: With 2 grids on a page Grid1 and Grid2, from a button in grid2 how to create a new record in grid1 and insert in the newly created record a value from grid2.
          etc... etc...
          It is a bear when you don't know the "secret"(s). But what you describe is all doable.

That said, Heller's Vol. 1 is a very good book, but it doesn't tell you the "secrets" you are looking for.
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Peter - Both of you

If you would take a moment and look at the attached image.

I would like to create a menu that looks like the attached image in AlphaFive. Their is a row of 4 buttons on the top and five buttons on the bottom.

When you press a button it takes you to another webform with a grid etc.

If you have not logged in it will prompt you to do so.

Nothing fancy, but since AlphaFive is new to me I do not know where to begin.

If you can make a video on how to

1. Add a background to the Form
            2. Add a button to the Form that opens up another Form
            3. Forces you to Login

It would be a place to start.

Mark Moss
            :o

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
              That said, Heller's Vol. 1 is a very good book, but it doesn't tell you the "secrets" you are looking for.
              I got Heller's book as a package when I bought a copy of V10 recently. Most of what's in the book is also explained in the videos. If Vol.2 does not reveal these "secrets" and just keeps rehashing what's already in the video library I won't buy it.
              A board member (Bob Moore) posted a video that was helpful (Thanks Bob); we need many more like this.

Comment

Gaby

Where is this video posted at ?????

Mark Moss

Comment

I got Heller's book as a package when I bought a copy of V10 recently. Most of what's in the book is also explained in the videos. If Vol.2 does not reveal these "secrets" and just keeps rehashing what's already in the video library I won't buy it.

I disagree. Heller's book is a good introduction to grid functionality, the core of A5 web. It's useful to many people. Personally, I wish that everything in the videos was in a hard copy book. That said, I too hope that the so-called secrets are laid out in the next book or two. There is no substitute for hard copy reference.
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                  https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

The remaining two volumes should be a priority to get finished, not put off as a "when we get a chance". There are numerous posts on this board referencing Heller's incomplete book and the lack of quality documentation or instruction so the demand is there.

Come on Martin and Alpha, please finish the book or at least give us some kind of idea when we can expect it.

Comment

Originally posted by markmoss View Post
                      Gaby
                      Where is this video posted at ?????
                      Mark Moss
                      Hi Mark:
                      Here is the link to all his videos: http://tutorials.micromediastudios.com/

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
                        I would like to take on that offer hi/

How to put a media player like VLC or Microsoft Media Player on the Alpha Web page?

Thanks

Ken Tjia

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
                          Something along the lines of how to get and set values from fields between linked parent-child grids. Anything along the lines of what Gary_H proposes would be good for me.

Many thanks

Comment

the Next Volume is high priority (our target is the end of August approx)

ALSO within two weeks approx - we will have a 4 hour training video dvd on building web apps

We have other videos in production as well

Also www.libertymanuals.com has a book on web app building in 10.5 coming very soon (days?) according to them

Then of course we have Hands on Training - 5 days coming up Sept 13 -17

(if you need details on this please contact [email protected])

Finally we have mentoring services that are priced at 2 hours of custom mentoring for $199 or 4 hours for $359 by certified mentors (contact [email protected] about this and other mentoring options)

I hope this is helpful
                            Richard Rabins
                            Co Chairman
                            Alpha Software

Comment

A board member (Bob Moore) posted a video that was helpful (Thanks Bob); we need many more like this.
                              Rumor has it :) that Bob Moore will be coming on board to the Alpha Team and he will have more videos to come -- Also we have a training course coming soon on using JQUERY (and other javascript libraries) with Alpha Five.
                              Richard Rabins
                              Co Chairman
                              Alpha Software

Comment

Working...
                              X