Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

AlphaFive Version 10.5 Web Books ??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AlphaFive Version 10.5 Web Books ??????

Thanks for the update on the web tutorial Richard. Knowing that it is a high priority and having an idea when to expect it is much appreciated.

The videos and hands on training opportunities are great to have available but they don't work as well for me as having something I can hold in my hands while I work through something on my own.

Comment

I fully understand. Differently people have different styles and a good book is a powerful weapon. That is why we have gone down the path of multiple approaches
      • books
      • custom training (in person or via the web) for individuals or specific companies
      • videos
      • hands on training courses

Part of the challenge is that Alpha Five is getting so powerful and versatile that educating people is a non trivial job.

Having said this - we remain very committed to making the product as usable and productive as possible (and that is why so many new people are switching to it)

It is worth noting that the recent PC magazine review of MS Access 2010 http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2366672,00.asp has this to say (see text below) about MS Access 2010's documentation. It is interesting to note the they make positive remarks about Alpha Five's help. I mention this not gleefully but rather to illustrate that even a company with the resources of MS finds this education issue to be a bit of a challenge

QUOTE FROM THE MS ACCESS 2010 REVIEW IN PC MAGAZINE

Help Needs Help

I found the new features as impressive as I found the Help resources unimpressive. Help in Access 2010 is pitiful. Gone is the indexed listing where you can find help on very specific topics. For instance, I typed "table relationships" into Help and got links to various tutorials on database design basics, a guide to Access 2010, and other very general subjects. I couldn't find a specific answer for my query. The lack of a good, structured help system is unfortunate, especially compared to vendors like Alpha Five who offer not just text help, but videos and help-heavy interactive user forums as well. And since Office 2010 is brand-new, there aren't a lot of third-party resources out there yet for users looking for assistance.

Note The MS Access review talks about Alpha Five v10 and Filemaker in terms of web apps.

The following is our high level analysis of the Filemaker approach to building web apps.

"They have two mechanisms, one that puts a straight FM DB on the web, and another that generates a site from an FM DB using either PHP or XSLT. Either one starts with the desktop FM DB.

The first mechanism is fairly easy, but inflexible, and does not scale well, not to mention the cost of the server. The second mechanism is hard, but more flexible, and scales somewhat better.

Alpha Five v10/10.5 has a mechanism that doesn't care about the desktop DB application. It uses .dbf files or any SQL database and is fundamentally built on AJAX methods (codeless AJAX, custom JavaScript or JQUERY etc.) We build a flexible and powerful web site/application pretty quickly and easily starting from the database itself. Our scaling story is better than FM's simple web DBs, and a lot cheaper than their server."

The following link http://www.gregoryfca.com/blogs/alph...1001_FINAL.pdf is a comparison between various products (it needs some updating but the principle points are sill valid)

More comparative info is on our blog at http://blog.alphasoftware.com/search...myclicker.y=13
      Richard Rabins
      Co Chairman
      Alpha Software

Comment

That's reassuring. BIG Thanks Richard :)

Comment

Originally posted by markmoss View Post
          Are their any good "AVAILABLE" books on AlphaFive Version 10.5 Web edition????????????????
          I am not talking about ones that are supposed to be out in a couple of days and then another couple of days and then another couple of days - ones that are out now????????
          No more waiting! Alpha Five Web Applications Made Easy, The Basics and More for Version 10.5 is here NOW!

Click the Liberty Manuals link below and check out the TOC and sample chapters on the website. Click on the book and see more at the "Inside . . ." tab for each book.
          sigpic Susan Bush, Liberty Manuals Co. Books for Alpha Anywhere mobile, web and desktop.

Comment

I bought the download version of the book as soon as it was available and HIGHLY recommend it. I am only half way through it but so far it is well worth the cost (actually it's worth much more).

Comment

Originally posted by FSNut01 View Post
              I bought the download version of the book as soon as it was available and HIGHLY recommend it. I am only half way through it but so far it is well worth the cost (actually it's worth much more).
              Thanks, Doug. May I share your comments with other readers?

Susan
              sigpic Susan Bush, Liberty Manuals Co. Books for Alpha Anywhere mobile, web and desktop.

Comment

Book is great, exactly four last month what I looked for.
                I downloaded book(EDE version) today from http://www.libertymanuals.com/ and started read and look at attached a5 lesson project.

I just find (lesson "ABC_V10Web_Lessons" folders) desktop versions ABC Seminars.adb file.
                There are some folder names related to web, but it looks like there are no files to ABC seminar WEB project.
                ABC Seminars.WebProjects - folder and sub folder without any web project file. There is just published files.

Are I missing something or :
                How can I view attached web project files in Alpha5 web project control panel?
                (I just added tested some of *.a5wcmp and *.a5w files, adding one by one to new project, I have feeling that I'm missing something, doing something wrong)
                Where I can find some instructions - how to set up web ABC seminar project?

Best Regards,
                EDViNs

Comment

Originally posted by eritovs View Post
                  Are I missing something
                  Edvins - I see your order and will answer you privately so we can get things straightened out. Susan

Comment

Susan

I am getting ready to purchase your book and was wondering why EDViNs is having a problem?

Is it a seperate download for the "ABC seminar WEB project" or is it emailed to the user?

Will I have the same problem as he?

Mark Moss
                    :)

Comment

Mark -

I have emailed Edvins directly to see why he is having difficulty. We have sold lots of these books so far and this is the only problem that has been reported.

The package contains everything you need to do the exercises.

Comment

Dear Susan,
                        Thanks for answer and pointing where I need to look.

I just checked lesson project on my another workstation, alpha five lessons works properly.

Edvins

Comment

Susan, you may use my comments. I continue to be amazed by the quality of this book.

Comment

Originally posted by eritovs View Post
                            How can I view attached web project files in Alpha5 web project control panel? Where I can find some instructions - how to set up web ABC seminar project? EDViNs
                            Edvins (eritovs) - Thanks for letting me know that the book lessons files are working properly now.

For the rest of you: Edvins solved his problem by checking the files on another workstation and then rebooting the original computer. Turns out it was "one of those computer things" that we all run into from time to time :)

Also, in a private email to him, I suggested he look at "Getting Started" in the Introduction for instructions on locating the web files in the sample database that comes with the book.

Comment

Originally posted by FSNut01 View Post
                              Susan, you may use my comments. I continue to be amazed by the quality of this book.
                              Thanks, Doug.

Susan

Comment

If somebody interested to compare "Alpha Five Web Applications Made Easy, The Basics and More for Version 10" lesson learning progress, I tweetted every my progress step.
                                Book and lessons are good, I starteed from A to Z, without jumping through lessons.

https://twitter.com/alpha5edri

Best regards,
                                Edvins

Comment

Working...
                                X