Alpha Video Training

Thread: MySQL Auto increment field problem in linked grid.

Real Name
    Andy Clark

Default MySQL Auto increment field problem in linked grid.

Hi

When I'm using a grid to add a new record into a MySQL database with an auto incrementing identity column it works fine (see first attached image) and the <AUTO> flag appears in the ID column.

If I use this grid as a linked grid then it no longer works (see second attached image). A zero appears instead of <AUTO> and an error stating that a duplicate ID would be created appears when I attempt to save that record.

I've tried using an in-grid display and also a modal pop-up and the behaviour is the same for both.

If any one has any pointers to where I might be going wrong I'd be grateful as this seems like a pretty basic operation.

Thanks in anticipation.

Andy

Real Name
    Andy Clark

Default Re: MySQL Auto increment field problem in linked grid.

Quote Originally Posted by ahclark View Post
    Hi

When I'm using a grid to add a new record into a MySQL database with an auto incrementing identity column it works fine (see first attached image) and the <AUTO> flag appears in the ID column.

If I use this grid as a linked grid then it no longer works (see second attached image). A zero appears instead of <AUTO> and an error stating that a duplicate ID would be created appears when I attempt to save that record.

I've tried using an in-grid display and also a modal pop-up and the behaviour is the same for both.

If any one has any pointers to where I might be going wrong I'd be grateful as this seems like a pretty basic operation.

Thanks in anticipation.

Andy
    Well no-one replied but I did get a further in my investigations. This occurs when a table in a grid is linked to itself in another grid. A master detail relationship is fine. I had a read only grid linked to a SQL statement with some joins in it, the linked grid was for editing purposes. I was able to re-create the problem in a simple stand alone application. Not sure if its unique to MySQL, might give it a go in SQL Server if I've got time.