Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Database questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Database questions

I have about 1 month before I will install the trial version v10, (current time constraints) and attempting to learn as much as possible before then and had some questions.

I will be developing a web app with a potential 1000+ users, but while each will have a very similar database, each should only be able to access their own, and nobody else's.

I assume I can create separate databases for each user, (predefined, but empty,) and that the databases can be created when a new user signs up.

I know that none of the users will reach the limits of the v10 database, but is the limit capacity for each database, or a cumulative total requiring me to add something like Mysql?

Also I am trying to figure out if I need to server software to run the application on a server, or if the second copy I am allowed to have is capable of doing that.

Re: Database questions

Every datacenter would be glad to host you with >1000 databases, give me a call:D.

Better to use a RDMBS like mysql make the application SAAS and multi-tenent.

Comment

William - I doubt you really want to produce and support 1000 different databases. If they're nearly the same, you should strive to make a single database that then accommodates each user's unique needs.

And, from what you've said, a SQL back end will be most appropriate.
      -Steve
      sigpic

Comment

Honestly, if I had the funds, I would have hired somebody else to do this for me. But the concept is fairly simple, and I pretty much have it fleshed out in my mind. I believe half of my work will be making it look "pretty".

I haven't done any real programming since I learned most of what I needed to do could be done with a spreadsheet, and word processor, or simply downloaded off the net. (Applesoft basic was the last/only language I programmed in.)

Since I knew I made my decision to use this software, I went ahead and purchased a bundled A5 deal, including training manuals, along with the server software.

After more searching of the forums here, I think I am leaning more toward PostgreSQL instead of MySQL. But regardless I do intend to use a back end database. Also I do now know that the server is necessary.

I probably should have said 10k to 20k users as that is my ultimate goal. But I am still confused on making and maintaining separate databases for each person, especially if I need to make global changes to all of them. Hopefully as I learn more about databases it will all make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Workings View Post
          William - I doubt you really want to produce and support 1000 different databases. If they're nearly the same, you should strive to make a single database that then accommodates each user's unique needs.

And, from what you've said, a SQL back end will be most appropriate.
          Well each database would not be exact copies of each other per say, but the form would be the same.

I have no problem with putting everyone into the same databases, in fact it would make the global changes easier. But I will need to make sure each one only has access to only their information.

Each person is a separate small businessman who will track their clients, plus other records, inventory, and income, and most would prefer their information not be shared. Some may have only about 10, while others will have hundreds.

Comment

You know the phone company, electric company, and your credit card company keep your information in one database, right? They didn't make up a special one just for you.

You should do the same.

Steve Wood has a nice video that will help you with this.

Go here:

http://alphadevnet.com/links.a5w

Under the Video Instruction category, see the Filter records by login Username.
            -Steve
            sigpic

Comment

William,

It's almost impossible to find a hosting provider and have >10.000 instances of a db's running, the cost is hugh.

There two options non depends of your DB choice:

1:
              create tables for your needs and split the data logic by parameters there examples here on the board seek for session.__protected__usrid. Read the post and see that is a good and maybe best solution there is with your present knowlegde.

2:
              Each customer have his own tables [ granted and owner] in the DB.
              That garantees exclusive ownership, it more complecated to develop
              and maintain. Alpha will support that with the latest feature for SQL connect.

3. Make a good desgin of your tables, even the best DB like Postgress or Mysql perform bad on a not good design.

4. Seperate your hardware use two machines one for the DB other for the application [ how much servers you need depence on serveral things starting how many users will be on line at a time]

For your customers if there need of a webshop contact Steve Workings he launched that a little time ago. Don't develop that by your self, hard to do and a lot of work.

There serveral very good developers on this board maybe they can help you with this project or you could call Alfa Professional Services.

Hope this helps

Eric

Comment

Okay, this helps quite a bit.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X