Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Five 10.5 soon will let you build a whole new class of AJAX Web Apps

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha Five 10.5 soon will let you build a whole new class of AJAX Web Apps

Alpha Five 10.5 soon will let you build a whole new class of AJAX Web Apps.

With the upcoming File and Image Upload and Download Features in Alpha Five v10.5 https://docs.google.com/document/pub...YhDY-nuXjHTvkE , developers will now be able to rapidly build apps in areas like
    • medical and dental records
    • contact management
    • project management
    • case management
    • content management
    • personnel management
    • manufacturing
    • inventory control
    • building management
    • real estate
    • academic research collaboration
    • construction

and more

list of all videos on new file and image upload/download feature packs

https://docs.google.com/document/pub...YhDY-nuXjHTvkE
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

Re: Alpha Five 10.5 soon will let you build a whole new class of AJAX Web Apps

Hello Richard,

Because we are converting a real estate management application to web using alpha 5, we were eagerly waiting for these FP for already 3 month :-). We knew that you were working on them. I already viewed the video's and they are really making me enthousiastic!

Some questions rose however, because it became not clear to me whether some needed features can be done with the new feature packs:

1. In the examples the upload directory seems to be hard coded (c:\myfiles). Can this be set variable: we use storage area's per entity (relations, contracts, buildings, units).

2. At upload time: could I let a user specify a subdirectory where to store the files?

3. At file download: could we implement mailmerge for word documents? (even better if additionally odf would be supported for that)

4. At file download time could we implement intermediate editing of word templates? The flow would be:

a. take copy of a word template from the server
    b. fill in variables fields with content from a mysql database
    c. allow some online editing in the static text of the template in users session directory
    d. store the edited template and create a link to it

5. if one buys a file upload / download FP why would we need image upload/download FP. Aren't files just more generic than images?

Thanks in advance

Ger Kurvers
    Ger Kurvers
    Alpha Anywhere / V4.6.1.9- Build 6488 (production) / V4.6.5.1 - 8722-5683(testing)
    Development: Mysql, windows 10 64 Applicationserver: standard on Windows server 2019

Comment

I also have a couple questions.

1. Are the upload and download feature packs one pack or two?

2. A common way to organize photos for real estate or auto dealerships is to prefix the file name with an id code from the row of data the photo is in (and maybe an index number 1 for photo 1, 2 for photo 2),

like long_filename= id+"."+index+"."+short_filename+"."+extension.

That way, the data doesn't have to be stored in a second table. The list can come from filefind_get() on the index number, and you don't have to worry about things getting out of synch.

Can that be done using the user defined version?

Pat
      Pat Bremkamp
      MindKicks Consulting

Comment

The attached shows what I want to do.

I already have this, but the new pack offers automatic resizing, upload size limits and a few other features that I'd love to add to my apps.

Pat
        Pat Bremkamp
        MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Re: Alpha Five 10.5 soon will let you build a whole new class of AJAX Web Apps.

Just curious,
          It appears I cannot open these docs without a user id, etc. The links take me to a login screen. Don't really want to create a userid, etc. Is there another option to view these files?

Thanks,
          mike
          Mike Reed
          Phoenix, AZ

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Reed View Post
            Just curious,
            It appears I cannot open these docs without a user id, etc. The links take me to a login screen. Don't really want to create a userid, etc. Is there another option to view these files?

Thanks,
            mike
            It's working fine for me. No login page.

Comment

I tried the page in Internet Explorer and it works fine, just not in Firefox.

mike
              Mike Reed
              Phoenix, AZ

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Reed View Post
                I tried the page in Internet Explorer and it works fine, just not in Firefox.
                Works fine in FF for me. Just not sure why this feature pack will "now be able to rapidly build apps in areas like..."?
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
                  Just not sure why this feature pack will "now be able to rapidly build apps in areas like..."?
                  I would guess that most of these apps have images and/or file upload/download components related to them? I can see it helping rapidly building portions of apps that involve image/file uploading/downloading, but thats about it.
                  Last edited by Bill Griffin; 08-23-2010, 11:30 AM.
                  Bill Griffin
                  Parkell, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Griffin View Post
                    I would guess that most of these apps have images and/or file upload/download components related to them?
                    Hhmm.. Well, if that's the case, I suppose before this feature pack came along, those apps must have taken a long time to build?
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Good logical conclusion.
                      Bill Griffin
                      Parkell, Inc

Comment

more info and availability info is shown here

http://www.imakenews.com/alphasoftwa...x000462492.cfm
                        Richard Rabins
                        Co Chairman
                        Alpha Software

Comment

Richard, will these feature packs allow users to use the Shift-Click to select many files at one time, like using Windows Explorer to copy files, or must one select one file at a time? Along those lines, can a whole directory be uploaded?

Thanks
                          -john

Comment

Originally posted by Jberry View Post
                            Richard, will these feature packs allow users to use the Shift-Click to select many files at one time, like using Windows Explorer to copy files, or must one select one file at a time? Along those lines, can a whole directory be uploaded?

Thanks
                            -john
                            the Feature Packs are built on top of what the Browser offers. The Feature Packs cannot offer functionality that is not supported by the Browsers.

Browsers do not support uploading a whole folder and they do not support shift-click.

In order to add that type of functionality you would need to have some type of activex control or java applet running on your machine. we do not want to have to rely on any type of activex or plugin.

Comment

John,

For this a bunch of us use the Image Uploader at http://www.aurigma.com/Products/ImageUploader.
                              Steve Wood
                              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                              X