Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Feature Packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Packs

I am loving a lot of the new features that are available but help me out with something. If I order a new fancy Corvette from GM I don't think its possible to add any amount of features that exceed the value of the base model.

Lets see I can buy a 2 for one copy of v10 last week for 199 if I am not mistaken. And I can add about 500 in features per license.

Am I missing something here?
    Chad Brown

Re: Feature Packs

I think they are bits & pieces from v11 that you have to pay for if you want them early, hopefully v11 will include all of them at no additional price.
    Cheers
    Mauricio

Comment

Originally posted by mmaisterrena View Post
      I think they are bits & pieces from v11 that you have to pay for if you want them early, hopefully v11 will include all of them at no additional price.
      Or maybe Alpha will have updated Feature Packs versions for Alpha 11. Users seems to love them so why not sell them again and again in upcoming versions.

Ken

Comment

If the upcoming V11 developer version sales price >= $600,00 incl. all the feature packs what would you do then strip, include or buy a other tool?

I prefere to have a choice.

m2p

Comment

Originally posted by chadbrown View Post
          I am loving a lot of the new features that are available but help me out with something. If I order a new fancy Corvette from GM I don't think its possible to add any amount of features that exceed the value of the base model.

Lets see I can buy a 2 for one copy of v10 last week for 199 if I am not mistaken. And I can add about 500 in features per license.

Am I missing something here?
          Chad,
          Yeah, I think you are missing something. Feature packs are OPTIONAL software. I think the key is OPTIONAL. If one finds value in it and purchases it, great. If not, don't purchase it. It seems like a great way to offer people software, who see a value in it. Why should EVRYONE have to pay higher prices for the base model, so to speak, for things they will never use? I am sure Desktop developers are not lining up to pay Alpha for the majority of the feature Packs, athough there are some great ones for Desktop developers also.

Going back to your vette analogy, not everyone is going to spend over a hundred grand (or 130,00 with more options) for a ZR1, but the base model at under 50k, may be just fine for most. BUT the options are there if you want them. It doesn't really matter what the cost is, if you need it and see the value in it. Having and offering options is just a smart way of doing business.

Remember, Feature packs are offering options that you have lived without up till the point of there release. When I look at these feature packs, I first decide whether I think i will use it, and if the answer is yes, will it save me enough time ($$$$) to justify the cost($). If yes, it makes my decision pretty easy. I can honestly say that each FP I have purchased, has saved me enough time and allowed me to provide my users with better options.
          Last edited by Bill Griffin; 08-27-2010, 07:18 AM.
          Bill Griffin
          Parkell, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Griffin View Post
            Feature packs are offering options that you have lived without up till the point of there release.
            Just with Alpha development.

Ken

Comment

If I purchase a feature pack now can I use it in the upcoming versions or do I have to repurchase them again? Or will there be an upgrade fee maybe?
              Chad Brown

Comment

When I purchased v10, I paid something like $599, the other day they were offering it for $149. So the way I figure it, Alpha owes me $450. Based upon my calculations, that should cover all the feature packs for v10 and for v11 upgrade.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Unfortunately Peter that is a "client side calculation" and it won't work.

But In theory yes you are correct.
                  Chad Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
                    When I purchased v10, I paid something like $599, the other day they were offering it for $149. So the way I figure it, Alpha owes me $450. Based upon my calculations, that should cover all the feature packs for v10 and for v11 upgrade.
                    I concur Peter.

When buying into a proprietary software development environment/method such as Alpha, we become a captive audience.

We do so because of 3 tenets:
                    1. The development/deployment advantages offered by the technology.
                    2. The cost/benefit ratio compared to another technology path.
                    And most importantly:
                    3. An expectation of improvements and increased feature richness over time, delivered at a reasonable cost.

As a member of a 'captive audience', I am continuously evaluating whether the 3 tenets above are holding true. After all, I feel I have bought into a method, not just a 'version'.

I must temper this by saying that Alpha has every right to profit from their efforts and regarding Tenet 3, I concede that there is a lot of wriggle room in the term 'reasonable cost'.

However, I am also starting to get uncomfortable with the amount being charged for the feature packs when I view many of these as 'reasonable improvements'. Add to this, the level of discounting available in never ending 'special offers' and Alpha is seriously close to insulting its front-line buyers in the pursuit of the business model.

Of course my discomfort will disappear immediately if I am offered the v11 upgrade for $50!:D

Manifold System GIS, albeit with probably a larger user-base, does exactly that. There are feature packs that you can buy, but the core product upgrade cost has historically been $50.

Come-on Alpha, whats the plan? I like your feature packs, they raise apps to a new level, but I am loathe to keep paying if you are going to ask me to pay again!

Comment

I've noticed that the 30 day trial comes with all features enabled. This is good for showing off, but since you can actually create something useful in 30 days, there are going to be people who find their shiny new app won't work unless they fork over more money to turn the features back on!

There is also a risk of people getting so much invested in extra features that if they have to purchase again for V11, they may just stick with V10.

I hope Alpha announces what they are going to do about the packs in the future. It would make me more likely to buy one now. So far, the only one I can't live without is the export to excel pack.

Pat
                      Pat Bremkamp
                      MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
                        Peter, I think you may be comparing apples to oranges

The $599 you paid was not just for the developer version but included other licenses.

These feature packs are optional features that each developer decides upon and presumably bases this decision on a very simple cost vs benefit (time saved) calculation.

In defense of our our pricing - let me start off by stating that we appreciate the support of the Alpha user community.

Pricing in any market always has to be looked at in terms of the market. In this context,check out out the InfoWorld review of tools for building Web apps rapidly http://blog.alphasoftware.com/search...myclicker.y=12 (where Alpha Five was rated #1 independent of price)

You will see below that Alpha Five's pricing is a small fraction of our competitors. In fact we are often asked by people who are new to Alpha why are prices are so low??? ( because they know the cost of our competitors.) We tend to respond that our philosophy is to keep our product affordable and within reach of developers of all sizes
                        1. Iron Speed: $2,795.
                        2. OutSystem Agile Platform: $49 per user of an application per month. Equals to $6,000 a year for 10 or $60,000 a year for 100 users.
                        3. Visual LANSA: Not posted on their web site, but we were given a quote by the company which stated "about $15,000 for first deployment server, and $5,000 for every additional server. "
                        Richard Rabins
                        Co Chairman
                        Alpha Software

Comment

Hi Richard,

These are good points and apply to me as well. Alphas reasonable pricing in general is certainly appreciated.

I guess the main issue for me is uncertainty regarding future costs and cost structures and whether being an existing license holder and early adopter of improvements, no matter how they are packaged, makes economic sense.

Chris

Comment

I m a big fan of a subscription based model. Pay a set annual fee (or monthly payments) and get all updates and new releases. The cost is something that you can budget for and you don't feel like you are being taken advantage of as a captive customer.

It's a win / win situation for all parties concerned.

Autodesk used this technique quite successfully for it's upgrades.
                            Bob Moore

Comment

Two points....

1. You might want to have multiple versions of the product...Personal, Professional and Enterprise. Where the Enterprise version contains all feature packs at a slightly reduced cost

2. I like the concept of feature packs but I do feel some of them should have been part of the base system. For example....the ability to export to excel and the advanced search features should be built into Alpha Five by default. But having the Up Size Database Genie and Flying Start Genie as a feature pack makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X