Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Home Windows Network - How to work with records from second computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Windows Network - How to work with records from second computer

I have a home Windows network. Would like to work with A5V8 files from second computer. How do I do this?

Thanks

John4life

Re: Home Windows Network - How to work with records from second computer

Hello John,

It is not that hard.

What operating system/systems are you using on your home network?

You can use one of the computers as your home network server. It will host your application folder.

You must make sure the computer and folder permissions are set correctly for each computer. So that Alpha can find your application folder and read and write to the folder contents.

Do you have just the Alpha development copy, or do you also have a runtime copy also?

Ed

Comment

You could even just create a shortcut to it if wanted and open the application directly...that is if you have Alpha on the computer you are using.
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Barley View Post
        Hello John,

It is not that hard.

You can use one of the computers as your home network server. It will host your application folder.

You must make sure the computer and folder permissions are set correctly for each computer. So that Alpha can find your application folder and read and write to the folder contents.

Do you have just the Alpha development copy, or do you also have a runtime copy also?

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Barley View Post
          Hello John,

It is not that hard.

Ed
          Thanks Ed and Mike

I HIT THE WRONG BUTTON. I'LL TRY AGAIN.

I am running XP Pro SP3

I have the regular Alpha (Don't know if it is called the "development copy" or not but I also have Runtime.

I had hoped that what Mike suggests below would work but I continue to receive an error message when I try to use the "Short Cut" idea.

Thanks to both you and Mike.

I do not know how the runtime thing can help me here because if I use the runtime on the second machine it will not edit the origional files - or am I missing something here?

Comment

John,
            The only difference between the full development and runtime versions is the ability to go into design mode and change the application you have created. You can access directly from the runtime your application from wherever and it will allow you to do whatever you have already designed into the application (change, add, delete records).

You could also create it as a shadow database across a network which can at times speed up an application especially if you have a slow network..
            Mike

Comment

Hi John,

Mike gave you some good tips.

I haven't graduated past XP Pro SP3 myself.

John are you going to use just 2 computers on the home network?

If your computer that you are developing your application is in your home network, you already have that computer working OK.

You are entitled with the regular Alpha to develop your application on 2 computers with the same license. So you could have one copy on a laptop, and another copy of Alpha on your desktop computer.

Make sure on the first computer(where the application folder is), that you have shared the drive or folder that your application resides in. So the 2nd computer can access the application over the network. I believe with XP Pro, that each computer must log in with a password. I use Windows Tweak UI to log in my computers, so I don't have to do it manually each time. I don't have too many security threats at home..So this is fine for my use.

Keep asking question here, as the board has a wealth of people to get you going.

Ed

Comment

Thanks again Ed & Mike

Ed: I have 2 computers on the network. I have Alpha 5 V8 installed on both. I have the second computer "shared" as you suggested.
                When I run a5v8 from the second computer and try to open my file on the "development" computer, I can see the set I want to open on the drop down list so I am connecting to the correct file on the correct computer but I receive an error box "Could not open or create multi-user file" then the address of the file.

I have done this with pervious versions of Alpha 5 on a home network, so I am confused.

Please try one more time.

Or Mike, help me know how to use the runtime thing to edit my "development" machine files.

TIA
                John

Comment

John,
                  use the runtime thing to edit my "development" machine files
                  Not going to happen! Runtime+ is design for a runtime user to create/edit a report, nothing more (as far as I know).

The error message I think may be due to your trying to open the same form/table at the same time...try it making certain everything is closed on the other computer and see....
                  Mike

Comment

Hi John,

"Could not open or create multi-user file" You will see the set, and .adb file, but if the permissions are not right, you will get an error message.

Sounds like a permissions problem. Make sure the second computer has permission to write to the folder that contains your application files on your first computer.

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
                      John,
                      The only difference between the full development and runtime versions is the ability to go into design mode and change the application you have created. You can access directly from the runtime your application from wherever and it will allow you to do whatever you have already designed into the application (change, add, delete records)...
                      Mike: If I use a Runtime version, how do I cause it to update files on the development machine? I do not understand what you are trying to tell me here. But I'm sure willing to learn.

Ed:[QUOTE]Sounds like a permissions problem. Make sure the second computer has permission to write to the folder that contains your application files on your first computer.[QUOTE]

I hear you but I do not understand how to do this. Please educate me on this. Again, I am willing to learn.

Thanks guys for you patience and help.

John

Comment

John,
                        Both what Ed and I stated are related to your issue(s). You have to make certain the folder/file are shared for your network to be able to "see" them...with the specific "right" for access and read/write capabilities. Right click on the folder/file you want to share on your network and choose Share files.......

Once the permissions are taken care of, you use the runtime version and simply open up your application on your Main/server computer. Then to sometimes speed up any sluggishness you may want to "Shadow" and optimize which is a bit different topic and a search should lead you to the process.

Hope it helps, rather than add to your confusion!
                        Mike

Comment

Hi John,

Mike is telling you, that you can always add data to your application from both computers, whether it is regular(development copy), or runtime. You can only edit tables, forms, etc with the regular(development copy).

For sharing.......On your first computer in Microsoft windows, go to My computer. The "C" drive will show up in the window. Right click on the "C" drive. Select Sharing and Security. Select the sharing tab. Under Network sharing and security, select "share this folder on the network". Also "Allow users to change my files". Go ahead and apply the changes you just made.

Reboot both computers on the network.

Try this with the second computer for a test. With your second computer. In Microsoft Windows open up "My Computer". From the menu at the top, go to tools. Select "Map network drive". On the pop up window that came up, select browse. You should be able to see your first computer by whatever name it has. It will show the C drive. You should be able to double click on the first computers C drive and see all the folders, etc on the C drive.

If your home network is hardwired, you do not have to worry about security. But if you are wireless, hopefully you have a password applied for security purposes.

Or on the second computer, you could also go to "My Network Places", and you should see the first computer name with the "C" drive shared.

Give this a try, and if all is well, you can just change the share to the application folder only if you wish. You can always reverse the above if you wish.

Ed

Comment

Thanks Ed for the much more (needed probably) detailed explanation---I am working with a laptop currently while out of town and really hate using this keyboard! :)
                            Mike

Comment

Hey Mike,

I guess when you do it quite a bit, it is easy. Just need to get past the first time.

Have a nice night.

Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X