Alpha Video Training

Thread: Named Connection String

Real Name
    Simon Angel

Default Named Connection String

I am sure this has been asked many times before.

I am using the latest build of Alpha Five 10.5 and I am buidinga web app against a MS SQL Server database.

It works using a named connection string on my local PC (to the database) however when I publish it the the server the connection string cannot be found.

I have gone thru Web Project settings and clicked on the 'Named AlphaDAO connection strings' builder to selet the named connection and edit the connection to use the working connection and then cliecked OK. Then I have published the page & forms I am testing and get the following error: cannot find name connect string 'xxxxxxxxxxx' (or something similar).

Could someone please help me as the whole project hinges on one named connect rather than editing every form and report.

Real Name
    Jeff Fagerman

Default Re: Named Connection String

This is an excellent question and one of the first I had also. The best answer I have so far, and I don't like it, is to use a named connection string. I use a system DSN to point to my database and then use the same named connection string for everything.

This works great but there is a serious drawback. What if you need to have multiple instances of your program running simultaneously from different data sources? I don't have an answer for this. Perhaps some global variable is the answer but I have yet to find it.
    I hope this helps. I am by no means an expert and have many question myself (this being one of them).