Alpha Video Training

Thread: Upgrading to Version 10.5

Real Name
    Amir Bienstock

Default Upgrading to Version 10.5

I have been using version 8 since it came out, and built an application that works well for my office. Now purchasing new computers and I wonder whether there are any known issues while upgrading from V8 to V10.5

I'd love to be able to just move my data files to the new computers and run the application as it ran before. Should I expect any problems?

Thank you,

Amir Bienstock

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Default Re: Upgrading to Version 10.5

The only way you can tell is to buy a new computer, move the app, and try it.

Most likely there will be a few minor tweaks you will need to make.
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

Real Name
    Alex Muir

Hello

The answer lies in the operating system of the new machines.

If they are Windows 7 then V8 won't run (unless under XP emulation - another link in the chain!

We've upgraded a few clients to V10.5 and yes a few things don't work as they did, but we just recreate them and everything works fine.

Alex

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

I have upgraded 2 clients to 10.5 with the Visual Studio 10 build. Like Alex, I have had a few things not work properly...but there were no deal breakers and the issues were coded around pretty quickly. On the plus side, my gut tells me that the VS10 build is more stable than the non VS10 build as well. I was very sporadically getting a "Cannot resynch on index" error in V10 and V10.5 (non VS10) along with a few other "make no sense" errors. :) Perhaps just luck, but my clients have not reported any of these issues since going to the V10.5 VS10 build.

Regards,

Jeff

Real Name
    Fred daniel

Moving to Windows 7 is actually painless. I have an application that I have sold over 3,000 copies that was written in V8 and performed well and the runtime (V8) ran well on Windows 7 by running in compatability modes as Windows XP. I have used the same app with the V10 runtime and it runs smooth on Windows 7 64bit and Server 2008

Alpha5V8 itself will not run on Windows 7 so it just makes sense to upgrade to Alpha5V10.5

Real Name
    Amir Bienstock

Thank you all, for the informative replies. I am not a programmer, and I believe my application is fairly simple, programming-wise.

My data sits on a SBS 2003 computer (which will stay), but I am switching the 5 client computers to Windows 7. Do I just need the Developer version + unlimited runtime bundle to continue using it?

Real Name
    Andiyanto Bun

Hi,

i am using alpha five version 10.5 to build web based application and have no problem with the performance, but right now i am trying to find a tool to build window based application.

could someone share about using mysql on desktop application made by alpha five version 10.5? how about the speed if we have many record on a table? i need advise because i am choosing a tool to build a window application for a company that will have many record on the sales data (will be 100000 record for one day for one sales table)? could alpha handle this such data (i will prefer using mysql rather than DBF)?

Thanks,
    Andi

Real Name
    Ton Spies

Hi Andy,

New subject I suppose?
    There have been more discussions about mysql.
    Please do a search on 'mysql' and you'll find a lot of threads.
    Join them or if you have specific question(s) feel free to start a new thread.

Ton
    Most things are simple but unfortunately only after the first time