Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Cloud computing wit Microsoft Azure platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloud computing wit Microsoft Azure platform

I have seen several posts discussing Amazon cloud computing for MySQL. However, does anyone have experience With SQL Azure? Since Alpha runs on Windows and my backend choice is SQL server I thought it best to go to the source since no middleman thus best prices. I had a high level conversation with a MS rep today. And they are insanely low including for FILESTREAM BLOB directories. This model minimizes the risks to launching a new app. And they support MySQL

My concern would be if the AlphaDAO will work with SQL Azure since it is not exactly the same as SQL Server.

I also like the idea of MS becoming more aware of Alpha, it is a good marriage that can reduce costs for everyone when (according to Alpha employee posting) Alpha cloud price structure is available.

I am also going to look into what can be done now through Azure platform when multiple cores are needed and appropriate number of WAS licenses are purchased through Alpha.

Please share...I dont want to be the only Azure Alpha developer - Early adopters tend to pay for their impulses in blood

Re: Cloud computing wit Microsoft Azure platform

Read this from the release notes

Connecting to SQL Server Azure - You can build applications in Alpha Five that use Microsoft SQL Azure as your database.

This release note describes how to define your AlphaDAO connection string to connect to your Azure database. You must previously have set up an Azure account.

First, you will need to know the server address and user id to use in the AlphaDAO connection string dialog.

The easiest way to find this information it to navigate to this screen in the Microsoft SQL Azure Administration page, then click the 'Connection Strings' button shown below.

http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/A...easenotes.html
    Cheers
    Mauricio

Comment

Gracias por todo!

Comment

Quiere decir un mont�n de trabajo desafiante con la ambici�n de verdad!

Comment

jaja Definitivamente el primero que se anime a esto va a tener que sudar sangre.
          Cheers
          Mauricio

Comment

Ya se, es el razon que escribo todos aqui, a guardar el sangre de nuestros companeros lol

Anyway, it is good to document this here. I spent an hour on the phone with a MS Azure engineer. All Azure is, is a database engine. And, there cold be problems with Alpha- as a complete application. For example, there could be issues in uploading and accessing BLOB files (which sounded awesome at first because memory is soooo cheap) in the BLOB folder due to MS security rules (AppFabric is its own entity- Well maybe Steve Wood could figure it out). SQL reporter cannot be used. And the top thing on my list is table auditing which is not possible (I could not find third party vendors that support Azure) that can monitor insert, delete and updates to database records. The Azure rep said MS would have these features some time in the future. One nice thing is that if you upload a SQL Server DB you can always get it back into SQL Server and you can manage Azure with SSMS.

However, if all you need is SQL DB that will cost you $10/month to host (Mauricio, your project would do well here), and very inexpensive to scale then this is the way to go and you can save your clients a ton of money over the long run. Again, you can use SSMS without learning yet another development/management environment. I learned about why Alpha cant be used in the cloud, it is simply an unsupported application....but I put out a shout for Alpha anyway. I started looking at Amazon which offers SQL Server and a lot more platforms but by then my eyes were red and could not handle reading another White Paper.

Oh last thing and very important. The downside to cloud computing is the database is far away from WAS, so this can slow things down. And of course the Azure rep could not promise performance.

Gnight.

Comment

I did not calculate the costs correctly. This link provides examples of how to estimate costs when going to the cloud versus an in-house system

http://www.uptimesoftware.com/uptime...ing-expensive/

Here is a comparison of DB CRUD tests by OakLeaf Systems, and as an aside, it provides a review of published studies that may be of interest

http://oakleafblog.blogspot.com/2008...-ec2-with.html

Comment

Originally posted by koga101 View Post
                (I could not find third party vendors that support Azure) that can monitor insert, delete and updates to database records.
                If you are really sure you want to go with Azure here is one solution that supports Azure out of box. You could use Proxy Generator with Alpha.

And Sql Azure support you can get here.

Comment

Originally posted by kkfin View Post
                  If you are really sure you want to go with Azure here is one solution that supports Azure out of box. You could use Proxy Generator with Alpha.
                  Alpha already supports Azure out of the box, search for azure on the release notes.

Edit: nevermind I think you are referring to a database manager software. I think SQL Server Manager works with azure (you can connect to an Azure DB)
                  Last edited by mmaisterrena; 10-16-2010, 06:03 PM.
                  Cheers
                  Mauricio

Comment

Working...
                  X