Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

TabbedUi & ipad, iphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TabbedUi & ipad, iphone

I have a few users that use an iphone or ipad to use our internal app. Like many, I really like using the tabbed ui as my program container.

Only issue I have in using this on mobile devices is scroll bars. When you launch a grid or web page into a tab, on these devices you do not get scroll bars. So, if you exceed the screen, things just flow off. If you use a popup, no problem. You can pan, zoom, etc.

If you use from a computer in any browser, scroll bars will appear where appropriate (if grid exceeds whats on the screen)

Anyone else have any experience with this?

Lets keep the iPad heckling to a minimum.

Re: TabbedUi & ipad, iphone

You are right. The scroll bars also do not appear if you have a drop-down box. I have used instead the Auto-suggest list to limit the number of rows appearing.
    But it should be looked at as the iPhone and iPad become more popular.

Comment

I use my iphone all the time. I have far more problems with sites that have scrollbars than those that don't. I have become fond of the auto-suggest in that it is easier than scrolling through a large list of choices (states for example, annoying how long it takes to WI when they are listed in alphabetical order).
      Gregg
      https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Yes, I can agree that too many scroll bars can be bad, but I am referring to main pages. Without having a vertical or horizontal scroll, many simple grid layouts become unusable.

Comment

As standard behavior Alpha will run on the Iphone, Ipad etc as what I have read and seen. So that is great to have and use.
          To make a webapps to have a good UI on that platform behavior you some need to knowlegde of Jquery UI.
          You can do that with a little effort by yourself BUT the alternative is the request of a feature pack that supports Iphone Ipad etc.

Earlier this year Alpha board {Richard and Selwyn} hi-jacked Bob Moore to join Alpha team so at least the present knowlegde is available.

So to make is easy why don't we ask Alphasoftware to support Iphone,Ipad with Jquery support at reasonable price as a feature pack.

If there more the 10 request I create a poll to support the request

Comment

As standard behavior Alpha will run on the Iphone, Ipad etc as what I have read and seen. So that is great to have and use.
            To make a webapps to have a good UI on that platform behavior you need knowlegde of Jquery UI.
            You can do that with a little effort by yourself BUT the alternative is the request of a feature pack that supports Iphone Ipad etc.

Earlier this year Alpha board {Richard and Selwyn} hi-jacked Bob Moore to join Alpha team so at least the present knowlegde is available.

To keep is simple why don't we ask Alphasoftware to support Iphone,Ipad with Jquery support at reasonable price as a feature pack.

If there are more the 10 positive replies I create a poll on the message board

Comment

I vote for the iPhone and other portables feature pack. Thanks Bea.

Comment

Yes Indeed Bob Moore has been "hijacked"

We see that iphone/ipad/android/Blackberry Playbook/Win7/Web OS/Symbian3 as a big opportunity for Alpha Five developers and customers.

Stay tuned.....
                Richard Rabins
                Co Chairman
                Alpha Software

Comment

The scrolling issue is a challenge in Mobile Safari. Often the developer will want top and bottom UI navigation elements (buttons) that do not scroll with the page, while the main content panel scrolls. Also, scrolling in Mobile Safari is supported with touch events, ie; two finger scrolling for iframes. Touch events are currently not implemented in Alpha Five V10.5.

That said, my total focus at Alpha Software is to develop a mobile/touch application layer to allow our developers to build native like functionality and appearance into web applications built with Alpha Five. Work is underway so stay tuned.
                  Bob Moore

Comment

WOW, two replies in one day , sure we "stay tuned".

Comment

Thanks guys... very encouraging.

Comment

Wonderful, Thanks for that.

We will stay tuned, please don't change the frequency!!

Comment

Well, I think I at least resolved my issue on the scroll bars.

As I mentioned, I am using a Tabbed UI. Well, for most tabs that open, I have the component grids embedded into an web page that launches in the new tab. Well, it appears that somewhere along the way I decided that that is really not needed as Alpha will let you simply launch a component directly onto a tab. Has been working fine that way in browsers, so I figure, why the extra step.

Well, turns out there are some good reasons to have primary tab pages be A5 web pages. Security... yeah. Oh, and it allows Apple browsers to natively recognize them and give you a scroll bar when your page flows off the screen.

Live and learn. Thought I would pass along for any others that may encounter this.

Comment

Working...
                          X