Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Poll. iPhone iPad android etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Poll. iPhone iPad android etc

Originally posted by Richard Rabins View Post
    Do you currently have a smart phone - Yes
    Do you currently have an iPad - Not yet
    Are your users asking about mobile devices - Yes
    Any other thoughts and comments would be welcome
    Thanks
    I have focused on the desktop but am wanting to get my feet wet on the web, and the main issue I had was what would be the issues as to iPhone/iPad/Droid connectivity. This is EXACTLY what I need.

Please put this on the front burner and make it happen!
    Last edited by EJR; 10-13-2010, 11:41 PM. Reason: color changes
    There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.

Comment

Originally posted by cmkivio View Post
      A mobile business application really need local storage of some sort as you can not rely on wireless comms.

/Charles
      This is a fundamental requirement for me. Transactions made by delivery personnel are often outside wireless coverage areas, so it is important to store transactions on the smart phone and later synch with the master database.

Terry

Comment

We would see it as a decimate advantage to run our A5 applications on a Ipad or blackberry, we would ideally like to develop certain areas of our packages to run directly on the phone, interfacing with our server. (look at the bay app and facebbok app on iPhone/ iPad) this would be great.

It is great to see Richard looking forward,

Comment

We would see it as a definate advantage to run our A5 applications on a Ipad or blackberry, we would ideally like to develop certain areas of our packages to run directly on the phone, interfacing with our server. (look at the bay app and facebbok app on iPhone/ iPad) this would be great.

It is great to see Richard looking forward,

Comment

Inrespone to your questions...
            Do you currently have a smart phone
            Do you currently have an iPad
            Are your users asking about mobile devices

Yes,
            Not yet, but soon
            Yes they are, looking forward to tools for this.

Thanks,
            mike
            Mike Reed
            Phoenix, AZ

Comment

I'm specially concerned on how virtual pages like Ajax popup windows will behave on mobile devices, I think the best behavior would be for this pages to fill the entire screen when called so the user can easily scroll up and down, so please take this into consideration.
              Cheers
              Mauricio

Comment

Good point! Safety first

Comment

Originally posted by mmaisterrena View Post
                  I think Alpha has been clear in that they plan to release an easy professional way to display our Web Applications on mobile devices, No more, No less.

I might agree that the current state of mobile/internet technology may need some kind of local storage but that is going to change in the very near future (less than 2 years) when G3 and G4 will be standard services for all mobile devices in all industrialized countries
                  Hey,

Mobile browsers that use the web kit such as iPhone do have local storage available to them. See: http://webkit.org/demos/sticky-notes/ for an example.

Also what I would like to see is an API to have iPhone HTML development tools such as Titanium Developer, and Phonegap be able to make calls directly to the Alpha Five Server engine.

I currently have projects for the iPhone, iTouch, and iPad. RIM has missed the boat, and Android is steaming in the right direction. Windows phones - yet to see what they can do.

Thanks,

Regards,

Michael Carroll

www.redrocksbluesky.com
                  [email protected]
                  435-275-5170

Comment

Hi Richard,

I work for a County department that purchases land for open space. We have divisions that build trails, manage forests, monitor wildlife, re-seed eroded soil etc. In most of our parks there is no 3g coverage and entering data into a browser would therefore not be an option. We have had numerous discussions about how staff could collect data in the field using a small mobile device and easily synch it with data at the office when they come back, or better, when they are back in an area that has coverage.

We have a small application that does this but it is not user friendly and nobody trusts the synching capability.

Hope this helps.

Simone

Comment

Do you currently have a smart phone
                      Do you currently have an iPad

Thanks
                      iPhone - yes.
                      iPad - no, but I want one!

Are your users asking about mobile devices
                      Nearly every one of my builders and their RE Agents conducts their business from the field via a smart phone - either iPhone, Android or Blackberry. I have precisely one who ISN'T asking for more mobile capability from me.

Needs I've identified right now:

1 - Viewing my plans from the field - ie view stripped down A5W pages. We have that now for iPhones, Androids, etc. I don't know about the Blackberry folks.

2 - Then being able to email an associated report to a potential buyer. Right now these reports will be PDF's prepared ahead by me, but in the future I'd like them to be able to generate them by choosing options and then email them right out. So I guess that's a generate, download, email on.

3 - My registered users able log in and then upload photos from their smart phones to their Photo Gallery (a table in my application). In a perfect world the photo location would be input from the GPS in their phone directly into the database.

4 - My registered users able to use a task list and other management tools from their smart phones.

I found this thread Searching "smart phone" for some clues to see what we can currently do.
                      Wendy Welton
                      Architect
                      past & future Alphaholic - deliberately falling off the wagon!

http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Comment

My business is 75% mobile. ipads and iphones and laptops. The other 25% is done at the office on desktops.

Comment

Mobile is key. There will always (in tech meaning at least the near future) be a place for native iOS and Andriod (and someday Win Phone) applications. That is probably not where Alpha is going to play as it's a totally different technology than Alpha. But increasingly HTML 5 and java apps are going to look more like native and get better and better. There are many places for Alpha to create great apps for mobile withuot not being native.

Two I'm looking at are: (1) creating mobile versions of some websites/portals that will take advantage of the mobile interfaces as everyone wants to access these on their portables. One of the keys here for me is to auto detect the browser/device and switch to a page layed out for that device and not try and make the exact same page work well on everything.

The second (2) is for more internal business applications. For example I'm working on something that will have iPads at each stage/station of a production floor. The operator at each stage/station enters against the virtual ticket and thus tracks (back in the central mySQL db) the production flow. There is very good reliable wifi so no worries about 3G or 4G or whatever.

As far as the different OS options the nice thing about HTML5/CSS3/Java is it doesn't matter that much. Clearly iOS is the big leader with Andriod a strong player and Windows will no doubt grow once they get a competitive product. But since they all conform to these standards its not so important. It probably comes down to more screen size/dimensions as that is different from one machine to the next and optimizing the layout may have to change. Of course the iOS is easier because the market share, particularly in business, is huge and with only a few models the screen options are limited while Android has many different screens/manufacturers/variations. Based on the market data iOS is really dominant and while Andriod is big and had a spurt, iOS is again taking the lead particularly in business. Here in Silicon Valley you'd hardly know there is anything else.

So I'm excited about good mobile options using internet standards. It wont address certain markets but that's ok for what I'm looking at doing with custom apps. And as the standards, and Alpha, evolve is should only get better.

Comment

One of my projects could make use of iPad. The business is a pre-school club, where parents take their kids to school an hour before it starts and collects them up to an hour and a half after school. At the moment they are looking after 8 schools and each team leader is sent the Daily Register by email. This document not only tells the leader who is due in that day but also the parent has to sign when they collect their child, this could all be done on the iPad. This would be far more professional approach to running that side of their business.
                            Regards
                            Keith Hubert
                            Alpha Guild Member
                            London.
                            KHDB Management Systems
                            Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Andriod tablets for me. I currently am using android tablets for field service portion of my app. There are some display issues with the current available browsers that I hope will get fixed with the mobile portion of V11.
                              Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Like Chad says - ability to generate and view PDF reports.

I also need ability toview and send PDFs from referenced fields in tables via a grid button or link. This could be via either a dynamically created web page with the PDF extension, or a Download File type thing (which works perfectly on a regular computer, but not on an iPhone). A "Send" button could start an email for them and attach a link - or maybe there's some other better way, I'm new to my iPhone.

All our official business correspondence is PDF, including agreements that are digitally signed. All my construction drawings and the marketing flyers I provide to them - all PDFs. My clients, like a great many iPhone users, are not tech savvy. They're using it because they must, not because they enjoy technology. Most of them learn only the basics. A "Send" button would be a welcome service.
                                Wendy Welton
                                Architect
                                past & future Alphaholic - deliberately falling off the wagon!

http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X