Alpha Video Training

Thread: File Upload - User Defined - Unique

Real Name
    Wayne

Default File Upload - User Defined - Unique

I am doing a user defined file upload. I want to make each document uploaded unique. I have two columns in my SQL back end. One for the true file name, the other for the file name the user sees. For the true file name (the fully qualified name and location of the file, I am stamping some data into the name to make it more unique and less likely that the user would ever be able to upload a file of the same name that already exists.

Here is what I have so far that builds the name of the single fully qualified filename as one string:

fn = "C:\A5Webroot\QERP\Documents" + chr(92) + (convert_type(e.primaryKeyArray[1],"N")) + e.fileArray[i].fileName

I then call fn and insert it into my filename column in a SQL call back.

This works great. Would like to however stamp the numeric current time into the string as well. With this, I have the filename, Primary key of the table, and then the numeric time (or some other unique name) in the filename string. Is there a e.currenttime, etc available to call into my xbasic function?

In the simple file upload function, there is an option to "rename" if the file exists. With the user defined advanced version, it is not apparent to me on how to select that. So, my above string is attempting to keep each file unique and avoid inevitable issues when users upload different files all named book1.xls onto the server, etc.
    Thanks
    Last edited by qcorporation; 10-17-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Real Name
    Wayne

Default Re: Filed Upload - User Defined - Unique

Update*****

Solved it by using ctime(now()) in my string function that built the filename string. ctime as I learned by a few hours of trial and error took the now() and converted it to a nice easy to get along with integer.

For all those who come after me in this: make sure the filename column in your backend DB is large enough to handle a fully qualified file name.

Real Name
    Omar Garcia

Default Re: File Upload - User Defined - Unique

api_uuidcreate()

"Certified" Alphaholic mmaisterrena's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mauricio Maisterrena

Default Re: File Upload - User Defined - Unique

Cheers
    Mauricio