Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Developer Edition - Build 3608 - CPU at 100%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Developer Edition - Build 3608 - CPU at 100%

Originally posted by frankbicknell View Post
    I wonder what the common denominator is.

It seems to occur during a disk access.

Could it be a wireless connection?

I tried to create a dump file but it is over 300 MB and the reader won't open it.

Here are some specs from my laptop that has the issues;

Intel Pentium M 2.0 GHZ
    2 GB RAM
    32 bit Vista
    Wireless 54Mbps
    Alpha project located on a network drive.
    The local disk has plenty of free space.
    Alpha 4091_3658
    Compiler v 1600 same with 1200

I tried using a network drive and got poor performance and switched back to running off of a local drive. In fact I am pondering setting up a SSD drive just for my virtual workspace running my developer environment.

Ram is not an issue. I find that I am getting as fast of performance running windows xp sp3 with 1 gig of ram as with windows 7 and 4 gigs of ram.

If only I could get the publish button to be programmable?

Regards,

Michael Carroll

www.redrocksbluesky.com
    www.theminimalistrunner.com
    [email protected]
    435-275-5170

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Workings View Post
      I'll add my voice to the ruckus here. I'm so tired of having everything pegged, drive screaming, and have to shut down and quit A5 20 times a day. This has been going on for a long time - not just the latest build.
      I'll chime in, too. I've had this issue on every build I've tried for some time. I've had it happen on an XP machine, a Win 7 32-bit machine, and a Win 7 64-bit machine. At first, I dealt with the issue by restarting A5 (20x per day, easily...). Then I found I could ease the pain for some time by switching between active windows in A5.

But, I found something that works for me, and now I never have the problem. Previously, I would always work with windows maximized within A5. Knowing I could temporarily stave off the cpu from racing by switching windows, I tried working with the windows restored/"un-maximized". It worked! As long as I don't maximize the windows within A5, I can work and retain most of my sanity.

I don't know if it's a common denominator here, but it's worth passing along in hopes that someone can benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by jon.warner View Post
        ... Knowing I could temporarily stave off the cpu from racing by switching windows, I tried working with the windows restored/"un-maximized". It worked! As long as I don't maximize the windows within A5, I can work and retain most of my sanity.
        That's interesting. I never have this problem. I'm running XP and never maximize windows in A5.
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I always run maximized and dont have any issues like that.
          Chad Brown

Comment

Originally posted by jon.warner View Post
            I don't know if it's a common denominator here, but it's worth passing along in hopes that someone can benefit.
            WHAT THE... it seems to work. In my case my grid windows were larger than the A5 development window causing the scroll bars to show. When I made all of the windows smaller than the A5 developer window, no pegging.

That does not seem to be a hardware issue. That looks like a bug to me.
            Last edited by frankbicknell; 03-28-2011, 10:57 PM.
            Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

What visual studio compiler versions are you using? VS6 or VS10 wonder if that makes any difference.

Look for the downloadlinks in the release notes (search for "studio")
              Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

I tried and had the same results with both 1200 (VS6) and 1600 (VS10). I am using 1600 now.
                It seems that I remember a while back in one of the patches there was a change for people that were having a problem with multiple monitors. I wonder if that change introduced a problem for small laptop monitors. On my desktop machine I have multiple monitors and I have never had this problem. I can maximize, oversize, minimize, click and change all day with many other apps running and no problems.
                Last edited by frankbicknell; 03-30-2011, 08:22 AM.
                Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

I'm running laptop with an extra monitor. I have the problem with or without the extra monitor.
                  -Steve
                  sigpic

Comment

another way to have the programm freeze and keep busy forever is a mistake in language tags: forgetting / in close tag keeps the laptop busy forever: <a5:r>text<a5:r> in stead of <a5:r>text</a5:r>
                    Ger Kurvers
                    Alpha Anywhere / V4.6.1.9- Build 6488 (production) / V4.6.5.1 - 8722-5683(testing)
                    Development: Mysql, windows 10 64 Applicationserver: standard on Windows server 2019

Comment

My Win 7, dual-core CPU, 4gig of ram constantly runs the fan after only a few minutes of editing web project components in Alpha V10 (also did this in previous versions on other laptops/desktops).

Is there a magical trick/config to work in Alpha without the cpu running "hot" and requiring the fan to run constantly?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I know this thread is getting plenty of looks...

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Workings View Post
                        I'm running laptop with an extra monitor. I have the problem with or without the extra monitor.
                        I run on a windows virtual machine (VM) operating on a MacBook pro laptop with dual monitors. I have noticed that if I keep the A5 desktop on the primary monitor (laptop screen) the CPU hogging is drastically reduced.

Why do I run Windows VM on a Mac? Because I can!
                        Oh, and I bought the Mac when I hated Windows (still do)!

Comment

Keeping all of the child windows smaller that the main Alpha development window is still working for me.

Comment

I am pleased (sort of) to report that some of the advice here has worked well for me for the last two days.

I have:

1) Kept A5 full-screen, but not maximized (which I would prefer); and

2) Kept all my windows and controls within the A5 window.

A couple times my HD started screaming and I realized that I'd broken one of the two rules above, quit A5, came back in and immediately adjusted windows, and went -- quietly -- back to work.

Kinda nice to not have to re-start all the time and put up with the noise.
                            -Steve
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions... they seem to work...

However, my next question would be "why" does Alpha behave this way?, as obviously this is not typical of ANY software I can think of. There is obviously either a reason for this, or it is a bug.

I have seen no other software that behaves in this strange way.

BTW - A solution was to install ProcessLasso (http://www.bitsum.com/prolasso.php) and so far it has alleviated any processor hogging, without me having to worry about resizing windows. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of screen real-estate to play with.

Bests,
                              Bill

Comment

Like Steve and Frank, I have found that keeping all of the child windows smaller that the main Alpha development window keeps the CPU from pegging at 100%.

As soon as I open a project that has the Web Control Panel maximized and edit a few components the CPU is pegged.

Something is amiss in Alpha.

Comment

Working...
                                X