Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Could not refresh detail view after inserting record. No records were found when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could not refresh detail view after inserting record. No records were found when...

Could not refresh detail view after inserting record. No records were found when executing the refresh row query.

I get this error when i try to insert a record.
    I have code in my OnBeforeSQLCommandExecute event.

I DO set the e.lastInsertedIdentity field - so Im not sure why the detail view is not refreshing.

Can anyone lend a hand?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Scott Moniz - Computer Programmer/Analyst
    REA Inc.
    http://reainc.net
    (416)-533-3777
    [email protected]

REA INC offers consulting services, programming services, systems design, database design, third party payment gateway integration (CHASE, PAYPAL, AUTHORIZE.NET) and developer support.
    If you need custom code, or 1-to-1 mentoring in any facet of your database/web application design,
    contact us to discuss options.

Re: Could not refresh detail view after inserting record. No records were found when.

The following code produces the error when I insert the record:
    What is wrong here?

Code:
    e.SQLCommandWasHandled = .t.
    e.flagError=.f.
    e.errorText=""

dim args as SQL::Arguments
    args.XML=e.argsXML
    IF e.cn.begintransaction() then
      	IF e.cn.Open("::name::conn") then
        	IF e.cn.execute(e.sql,args) then
           e.lastInsertedIdentityValue=e.cn.CallResult.LastInsertedIdentity
        	else 
        	'error occurred
        		e.flagError=.t.
        		e.errorText="Error Occurred: Could not execute primary statement" 
        	end if
    	else
    	'error occurred
    		e.flagError=.t.
        	e.errorText="Error Occurred: Could not open database connection" 
    	end if	 
    else
    	 e.flagError=.t.
        e.errorText="Error Occurred: Could not begin transaction" 
    end if

'commit or rollback based on error flag
    IF e.flagError==.f. then
        IF e.cn.committransaction() ==.f. then
            e.cn.rollbacktransaction();
            e.flagError=.t.
            e.errorText="Error Occurred: Could not commit transaction" 
        end if
    else
    end if
    REA Inc.
    (416)-533-3777
    [email protected]

REA INC offers consulting services, programming services, systems design, database design, third party payment gateway integration (CHASE, PAYPAL, AUTHORIZE.NET) and developer support.
    If you need custom code, or 1-to-1 mentoring in any facet of your database/web application design,

Comment

Re: Could not refresh detail view after inserting record. No records were found when.

had the same issue. my problem was that i had a grid that as a data source had 2 tables joined. on the edit detail screen, i was saving a record where the joined table's primary id was left as blank. by me filling that in, it fixed the issue and my grid refreshed properly...

Comment

Code:
        IF e.flagError==.f. then
                e.flagError=.t.
            end if
        else
        end if
        The above code does not make sense since the e.cn.rollbacktransaction() would execute either way. The event you are using is an Alpha server side event in xbasic you use only one equals sign.

I am not sure of what you are trying to accomplish. Why do you need code in that event?
        Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

the above code makes perfect sense

alpha treats == perfectly (even tho it can use 1 equal - i program in stricter languages which take = as assignment and == as comparison - so its a habit)

if e.flagerror is false and e.cn.committransaction returns true - rollback is never called.

if e.flagError==.f. then
          'try to commit
          if e.cn.committransaction()==.f. then
          'if we cant commit then rollback
          end if

'if the commit was succesful - there is no rollback and the commit() call goes through
          else

'an error occurred so rollback
          end if

If the commit is succesful the rollback wont run - weve been using this method forever.

the whole point is a transaction.
          for example

Insert Order
          ->Insert Order Audit Record

if the audit record fails - we want to rollback everything.

we have used this method in later versions of alpha - but i guess the bug is version related - we wanted to code around it because upgrading the server is NOT an option - i guess we have to get rid of transaction logic (big no no :/)

i guess we just cant do this in previous versions of alpha - code works fine in later versions
          Last edited by aburningflame; 11-01-2010, 09:45 PM.
          REA Inc.
          (416)-533-3777
          [email protected]

Comment

Thank you. Right there it is the help file. == (Exactly Matching Operator) I have never used that event and I was wondering why someone would. Another case of fingers moving while brain is in stand by.
            Last edited by frankbicknell; 11-02-2010, 06:16 AM.
            Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Hi Scott
              Not sure if you have solved this but I had the same thing today. After some tests, I realized I was trying to use a Child Field (a field from the sub table) in the Detail View Fields.
              Hope this is clear.
              Regards
              John

Comment

Originally posted by frankbicknell View Post
                Thank you. Right there it is the help file. == (Exactly Matching Operator) I have never used that event and I was wondering why someone would. Another case of fingers moving while brain is in stand by.
                No problem :)
                That event can be used to modify the grids sql, or arguments.
                Can also be used to start transactions.

Say you had a table with a field named quarterEntered (1,2,3,4). You can use the OnBeforeSQLCommand to look at the value of date() determine what quarter its in and use

args.XML=e.argsXML
                args.set("quarterEntered", quarterCalculatedAbove)
                e.modifiedSQL=e.sql
                e.modifiedArgsXML=args.XML

this would let you override values
                REA Inc.
                (416)-533-3777
                [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by JH10 View Post
                  Hi Scott
                  Not sure if you have solved this but I had the same thing today. After some tests, I realized I was trying to use a Child Field (a field from the sub table) in the Detail View Fields.
                  Hope this is clear.
                  Regards
                  John
                  Hi John,
                  Thanks for your advice - I will keep this in mind.
                  However - we decided to code around it.
                  We use this method in the new version of alpha - maybe this was a bug in the old version..not sure.

anyhow thanks fo ryour input
                  REA Inc.
                  (416)-533-3777
                  [email protected]

Comment

:DGood News on this ... Problem Solved.:D

This reads long, but the solution is really easy.

Okay, I ran across this myself today when adding new records via a detail grid. And, I think I completely understand what is causing this. At least for me ...

The problem identified: Alpha 5 expects to see the new record in the grid when the users clicks the "Save" button (in the detail view). I expect it is going to place it on the grid for you to review after you click the "Save" button. If new record does not meet the criteria defined for the main grid, then Voila! It cannot find the records and you get this message "Could not refresh Detail View after inserting record. No records were found when executing the 'Refresh row' query."

The Solution: Rewrite the query so the new record meets the query criteria of the main grid. If you are experienceing the same issue, then your SQL probaly is written as a SQL "INNER" join and needs to be changed to "OUTER" joins. If you use the Query builder it seems to use "INNER" joins by default. You SQL gurus experiencing this issue are likley going ... oh yeah at this point. For the newbies ...read up in INNER and OUTER joins.

In my case, I had joined two tables to a main table using inner joins. The newly created record did not meet the query using the "INNER" join when I changed to outer join, reran the same steps on the same grid with the new "OUTER" join verion of the query, then Succes no message and problem was solved.

This is related to comments by "Jin Bat 11-01-2010, 04:03 PM" as part of this thread. However this provides an explanation as to why this occurs and allows, a good all around solution that avoids requiring users to fill in all fields when the data should be blnk or NULL.

Possible Wish List Request to A5: In the Details view> Properties provide programmers an option to ignore this error/feature and provide a popup to users.

Also, I am ssure there is a way advanced A5 programmers can trap this situation, provide their own message, and all users to move forward. If they really wanted to.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards,
                    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by BenRo View Post
                      :DGood News on this ... Problem Solved.:D

This reads long, but the solution is really easy.

Okay, I ran across this myself today when adding new records via a detail grid. And, I think I completely understand what is causing this. At least for me ...

The problem identified: Alpha 5 expects to see the new record in the grid when the users clicks the "Save" button (in the detail view). I expect it is going to place it on the grid for you to review after you click the "Save" button. If new record does not meet the criteria defined for the main grid, then Voila! It cannot find the records and you get this message "Could not refresh Detail View after inserting record. No records were found when executing the 'Refresh row' query."

The Solution: Rewrite the query so the new record meets the query criteria of the main grid. If you are experienceing the same issue, then your SQL probaly is written as a SQL "INNER" join and needs to be changed to "OUTER" joins. If you use the Query builder it seems to use "INNER" joins by default. You SQL gurus experiencing this issue are likley going ... oh yeah at this point. For the newbies ...read up in INNER and OUTER joins.

In my case, I had joined two tables to a main table using inner joins. The newly created record did not meet the query using the "INNER" join when I changed to outer join, reran the same steps on the same grid with the new "OUTER" join verion of the query, then Succes no message and problem was solved.

Regards,
                      Ben
                      Hello --

In my case, I only have one main table with 3 fields: ID, FIRSTNAME, LASTNAME. I experience the same problem as others have when adding NEW records only via a detail grid. Issue appears to be the ID, which I have set as an autoincrement field in Firebird SQL.

Is there a way to correct this using XBASIC or on the SQL backend so that the value of the autoincrement field is retrieved before the Detail View fires?

Thanks.
                      Andrew

Comment

Hi --

I have a very simple grid based on one table with no child tables. I have inserted the following code (based on burnings example) into onBeforeSQLExecute event but this results in the error shown in the attached image. The ID field is autoincremented in Firebird SQL:
                        --
                        e.SQLCommandWasHandled = .t.
                        e.flagError=.f.
                        e.errorText=""

args.XML=e.argsXML
                        IF e.cn.begintransaction() then
                        IF e.cn.Open("{A5API='ODBC',DataSource='AlphaSQLTest',A5Syntax='ODBC',UserName='SYSDBA',Password='masterkey'}") then
                        IF e.cn.execute(e.sql,args) then
                        e.lastInsertedIdentityValue=e.cn.CallResult.LastInsertedIdentity
                        else
                        'error occurred
                        e.flagError=.t.
                        e.errorText="Error Occurred: Could not execute primary statement"
                        end if
                        else
                        'error occurred
                        e.flagError=.t.
                        e.errorText="Error Occurred: Could not open database connection"
                        end if
                        else
                        e.flagError=.t.
                        e.errorText="Error Occurred: Could not begin transaction"
                        end if

'commit or rollback based on error flag
                        IF e.flagError==.f. then
                        e.flagError=.t.
                        end if
                        else
                        end if
                        end function
                        --
                        The DB is connecting properly but what am I missing here?
                        Thx.
                        Andy

Comment

Hello
                          we use firebirdSQL, you need to get ID from server before to
                          post your record, we use generators in firebirdSQL and we
                          populate the ID field getting a new ID from server before to post record to database.

Regards.
                          Marco
                          Marco Kregar

From the north of Italy, here ....

Comment

Hi Marco --
                            Do you have any sample code that you would be able to share?
                            Thanks.
                            Andy

Comment

Working...
                            X