Alpha Video Training

Thread: Where are connection strings stored

Real Name
    Vaughn Seward

Default Where are connection strings stored

We have an SQL A5 web application that needs to be deployed on two different servers using a common remote MS-SQL Server database.

It is working on one server and want to get it going on the other server. I'd prefer not to have to create a whole new profile for the other server when the only difference is the connection string.

Does anyone know where the connection string is stored?

Thanks,
    Vaughn

Real Name
    Vaughn Seward

Default Re: Where are connection strings stored

I may have stumbled upon a possible answer. The connection strings are stored in the a5_application.a5i file. The comments in this file indicate that they are encrypted and if you want to insert a connection string you can do so by omitting the 'Encrypted:' prefix.

Real Name
    Norman K

Quote Originally Posted by cFlat7 View Post
    I may have stumbled upon a possible answer. The connection strings are stored in the a5_application.a5i file. The comments in this file indicate that they are encrypted and if you want to insert a connection string you can do so by omitting the 'Encrypted:' prefix.
    I'm running into the same problem, app works fine on the local machine (using localhost; i.e. built-in App Server) but when I deploy to my VPS account I get one of two errors: either "Connection String not found" or an access denied because I am not supplying a password, which the connection string IS supplying.

I looked at a5_application.a5i on the VPS and added an unencrypted string, no go. I then actually DELETED the entire file and the server didn't complain (gave me same message, no password) so I'm not even sure it even LOOKS for that file.

Alpha Software Employee Lenny Forziati's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

Quote Originally Posted by nlk10010 View Post
    I'm running into the same problem, app works fine on the local machine (using localhost; i.e. built-in App Server) but when I deploy to my VPS account I get one of two errors: either "Connection String not found" or an access denied because I am not supplying a password, which the connection string IS supplying.

I looked at a5_application.a5i on the VPS and added an unencrypted string, no go. I then actually DELETED the entire file and the server didn't complain (gave me same message, no password) so I'm not even sure it even LOOKS for that file.
    It looks at a5_application.a5i for the settings, However, it caches the settings, so it is not read on every request. If you make a change, you will need to restart the server to apply the change.

Lenny Forziati
    Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
    Alpha Software Corporation

Real Name
    Vaughn Seward

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Forziati View Post
    It looks at a5_application.a5i for the settings, However, it caches the settings, so it is not read on every request. If you make a change, you will need to restart the server to apply the change.
    Okay, thanks... this is good to know.

BTW, is there a risk of leaving the connection string unencrypted? If so, is there a better way to deal with this problem?

Vaughn