Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

2 Questions on Importing files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Questions on Importing files

Hi!

I am using the standard file import function (not the new import pack) and have 2 questions. I am using the 16NOV10 patch update.

Question 1
    In the properties there is an option to 'overwrite' the table however the table still gets records appended to it. Seems like overwrite would mean to empty (ie. zap) the table and then load it. What am I missing here? Is this the expected behavior?

So for now I am using an operation to zap and then load the table.

If "overwrite" does not mean "zap" then I would request a new option to be able to "zap" a table on import.

Question 2
    Do aliases work in the file import in a desktop application?
    I am getting an error about the fields not being defined and the path cannot be found.

The alias name is "ApplName_Home" and the path is "C:\users\dvenus\Documents\A5V10.d\ApplName.d". In the import path I enter "[ApplName_Home]\abc.csv". And
    "[ApplName_Home]\abc.dbf" for the path to the table.

If this is not supposed to work I would request it as new feature or a fix depending on how you look at it.

Thanks for any help, suggestions, corrections, etc.!

Dave Venus

Re: 2 Questions on Importing files

Dave,
    1. I agree that records get appended even when overwrite is selected.
    It is certainly misleading, but your approach to zap the table first is best and foolproof.
    In the import there is an option to check for duplicates in which case existing records can be updated (overwritten?) with the info in the import.
    2. Look at FILENAME_FROM_ALIAS() in Help.

Comment

Originally posted by dvenus View Post
      Hi!

I am using the standard file import function (not the new import pack) and have 2 questions. I am using the 16NOV10 patch update.

Question 1
      In the properties there is an option to 'overwrite' the table however the table still gets records appended to it. Seems like overwrite would mean to empty (ie. zap) the table and then load it. What am I missing here? Is this the expected behavior?

So for now I am using an operation to zap and then load the table.

If "overwrite" does not mean "zap" then I would request a new option to be able to "zap" a table on import.

<...snip..>
      Dave Venus
      Overwrite should zap when importing into a table with the same name. If it does not, I say that is a bug. Moreover, in my brief testing that's not the only thing not working correctly in the new the way import operations work, whether using the genie or not. I do not have time right now to put together a bug report, so I can only hope someone checks it out and submits a report.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
        Overwrite should zap when importing into a table with the same name. If it does not, I say that is a bug. Moreover, in my brief testing that's not the only thing not working correctly in the new the way import operations work, whether using the genie or not. I do not have time right now to put together a bug report, so I can only hope someone checks it out and submits a report.

Raymond Lyons
        i have constructed two different test cases, one using .xls files and one using .csv files. in both cases the import correctly overwrote the existing file as instructed.

i don't agree that there is any bug with the import operation.

Comment

Selwyn,
          I did this a couple of days ago but from memory the steps to get the error are:
          Create an import operation into a new table and run the operation.
          Now modify that operation to import into an existing table (the new table you created in previous step) and select overwrite data, now run operation. You will see that records are appended and existing records are not overwritten.

Comment

Originally posted by Garry Flanigan View Post
            Selwyn,
            I did this a couple of days ago but from memory the steps to get the error are:
            Create an import operation into a new table and run the operation.
            Now modify that operation to import into an existing table (the new table you created in previous step) and select overwrite data, now run operation. You will see that records are appended and existing records are not overwritten.
            the overwrite option applies when you are importing into a new table. it will overwrite the existing table (if there is one) and create a new table from the imported data.

if you are importing into an existing table, then the overwrite option does not apply.

Comment

Selwyn,
              That may be but "overwrite" in the operation is not qualified in the way you qualify it now. So if you think this is not a bug you need to make it clear to the user.

the overwrite option applies when you are importing into a new table. it will overwrite the existing table (if there is one) and create a new table from the imported data.
              Surely if you are importing into a new table then there is never anything to overwrite?

Comment

Garry,
                I take what Selwyn stated as the import operation will overwrite an existing table if the new table option is used and imported into a table that already exists of the same name.....nice to know the subtle difference if I am correct in my interpretation.

I have never encountered this issue due to my habit of zapping the import table prior to import or using a temp table (new table created on import) and then appending the records to the existing table.

I do see your point however.....
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Garry Flanigan View Post
                  Selwyn,
                  That may be but "overwrite" in the operation is not qualified in the way you qualify it now. So if you think this is not a bug you need to make it clear to the user.

Surely if you are importing into a new table then there is never anything to overwrite?
                  if you are importing into a new table, then there COULD be something to overwrite.

say you have an existing table called 'customer.dbf'.
                  you define an import operation to import into a new table, and you specify that the name of the new table is 'customer.dbf'.

when you run the import, a5 will see that there is an existing table called 'customer.dbf'. if will put up a dialog to ask if you want to overwrite the existing table.

if you want to suppress this dialog from coming up, you can by checking the 'overwrite' box in the import properties.

Comment

The only ask overwrite I see is the combination to new table when an existing table of same name exists. There is no overwrite when import to existing table is chosen, its an append. Unless I am missing something. I included an example.
                    Mike W

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Wilson View Post
                      The only ask overwrite I see is the combination to new table when an existing table of same name exists. There is no overwrite when import to existing table is chosen, its an append. Unless I am missing something. I included an example.
                      i am talking about a 'classic' import operation. your example is an alphaDAO import operation. we are comparing apples an oranges here.

Comment

This is not an issue. No need for anything further in this line. At least not for me. I do what MikeC does, zap the table before import.

I'm just pointing out that with either import method, to get the import operation to overwrite the table requires chosing "write to new table", for the table you want to be overwritten with the import. Otherwise if you chose write to existing table, it will append, no chance for overwriting. No real issue here.
                        Mike W

Comment

....Moreover, in my brief testing [overwrite is] not the only thing not working correctly in the new the way import operations work, whether using the genie or not. I do not have time right now to put together a bug report, so I can only hope someone checks it out and submits a report.

Raymond Lyons
                          I need to add that what caused me to think there were "other things" not working correctly with the new import operations was a test file that apparently had some minor corruption in it, probably from it having been zipped and unzipped. That said, I for one preferred the way the old import genie worked--the old genie seems more robust in some respects than the new one.

By the way, I too always zap before importing into an existing table, assuming that I only want the new data in the table. For that matter, I do that to a temp table even when my ultimate goal is to append the new data to another table (the append goes from the temp table to my ultimate target table). There are a number of reasons for doing this, including the fact that with an append one can put in conditional expressions and/or combine fields from the imported data into one field in the target table--something you can't do with a simple import.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

I need to add that what caused me to think there were "other things" not working correctly with the new import operations was a test file that apparently had some minor corruption in it, probably from it having been zipped and unzipped. That said, I for one preferred the way the old import genie worked--the old genie seems more robust in some respects than the new one......
                            FYI, it turns out there was no corruption in my test file--whatever the problem was with using the new import genie with my file, Selwyn is fixing it. Once it works the way it is supposed to work, there is no reason to prefer the way the old genie worked--the new one is probably the one that is more robust.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

I'm attempting to import a file of approximately 150 fields, 158,000 records letting A5V10.5 create a new table. I've tried creating the file using ~ as a delimiter and as a Lotus WK1 file.

A5 locks up importing a TXT file and gives an Invalid Field Name error trying to import a WK1 even though it sees all the field names.

??????????

Comment

Working...
                              X