Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Query Operations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query Operations

I recently upgraded to V10 from V7 because I was having difficulty archiving my reports. Now, it seems I cannot even generate my reports. Each report uses an operation (query). I am using a set with 3 child databases and one parent. One of the child databases has a "trial_date" field. A different child database has a 3 character field "class." That same child database has a 10 character field "verify."

When I try to keep it really simple and design an operation (I use the Genie) to query for trial_date in the year 2010, the resulting browse when I run the operation has the fields in the first part of each record repeated for about 25 entries...the last half of the fields, however, are correct.

I am completely confused, and about to give up on Alpha 5 completely. This after spending YEARS to accumulate my data.
    Can someone help?

Re: Query Operations

Hi Kay,

Perhaps a zipped sample db would help us. exact instructions of what you are trying to do and some samples (not real data) would help. Please name the report you are working with and the query as you have it?

Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks for replying, Dave.
      Can you give me more directions on how to come up with a sample database and how to zip it? My set has 11,868 records in it.

The portion of each record in my query that is repeated is from one of the child databases only. The fields from the other two child databases seem to be correct. That is, when I can get the query to come up with any records at all.

I've been playing with this in both V7 and V10. I had thought to get rid of V7 eventually, but not until I am sure V10 is going to work.

When you let me know exactly what to send, I'll get to work on it right away.
      Thanks,
      Kay

Comment

Dave,

I was wrong about the set. There is one parent database (scores)and two child databases (irish and trial). The repeated information in the query browse is all from the parent database.

Kay

Comment

Kay,

When you browse a set, you are looking at composit information. If a parent record has many child records, you will see one parant for each child, so it will look like you have all those parent records.

Don't give up on Alpha, there are many here who are more than willing to help you get the results you are looking for.

Tom
          Last edited by Tom Henkel; 11-22-2010, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your reply, Tom. No, I'm much too stubborn to give up. The frustrating part is that I know you or Dave could sit down at my computer and tell me what's wrong in about 5 minutes time. I spent all day yesterday on it to no avail.

Each record in my parent database "scores" has one and only one corresponding record each of the two child databases. One child, "irish," has the dog information that earned that score, and the other,"trial," has the information about the trial where that score was earned.
            When I browse the set (with a query operation run on it), I get the repeated information from one record of scores, but the correct information from trial and irish. That is, the first 25 or so records in the browse all have the same dog ID #, trial ID#, and score information with different (correct) dog names and trial names from the child databases.

As soon as Dave or you give me a little guidance on sending you samples and more explicit information, I am sure you will see, and probably solve,the problem.

Kay

Comment

Open your set in design mode and take a screenshot so we can see. Example attached.
              There can be only one.

Comment

Stan,
                How do I take a screenshot?
                Kay

Comment

There are several freeware screen capture programs available. Since you don't have one currently, view the set structure, hold down the shift key, press the Print Screen key (PrtScr next to scroll lock usually), open Word, paste the capture there (Ctrl-V).
                  There can be only one.

Comment

Ctrl-Prtsc, or for some laptops, it is Fn-PrtSc will get the screen image onto the clipboard. Then paste into Paint, Select the area of the dialog showing the set design, Cut, File->New, save=NO, Paste, save as JPEG to desktop, attach JPEG to message board posting.
                    Mike W

Comment

Stan, Dave, Tom...
                      Attached is the set structure screenshot.
                      Kay

Comment

That is as you said so the problem isn't obvious.

To attach a sample database here. Open the control panel access the Tables/Sets tab. Hilight the set name, right click and choose Zip and note the location you choose to save the zip.

Come back to the message board and begin a reply here. Scroll down a bit until you see the Manage Attachments button. Use that and attach the zip to the post. If you don't see the Manage Attachments button use the expand section icon to the far right of the Additional Options area.
                        There can be only one.

Comment

Zip file attached.
                          Kay

Comment

The reports don't give me multiple records under A5V8 and I don't have 10.5 to test it with. Someone else will have to test that for you to verify the results are different.

Shouldn't take long before someone chimes in.
                            There can be only one.

Comment

I'm not seeing repeats in reports but then again I'm not sure she is talking about reports:
                              That is, the first 25 or so records in the browse all have the same dog ID #, trial ID#, and score information with different (correct) dog names and trial names from the child databases.
                              Now that we have your example Karen, maybe direct us through what you are doing/where you are seeing what you are seeing. Give specific steps, please.
                              Mike W

Comment

Working...
                              X