Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Consecutive grouping in Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consecutive grouping in Reports

In my Alpha Five Report, I am having trouble understanding groups.

Instead of nesting groups within groups, I am trying to create groups consecutively.

For each key field (primary group) I have 5 fields I want to group separately.
    My (simplified) record would have a "Key_Field" and "C1", "C2", "C3", "C4", & "C5"

I want the report to show:
    Key_Field - Primary grouping
    All C1's - grouped within Primary
    --- break
    All C2's - grouped within Primary
    --- break
    All C3's - grouped within Primary
    --- break
    All C5's - grouped within Primary

Within Alpha Five, it keeps creating nested groups so that groups would wind up within the group before it instead of below it.

The Key_Field is to be at first level and all other fields (C1-C5) are equal at the second level.

How can I show this?

Thanks,
    Randy

Re: Consecutive grouping in Reports

It sounds like you might need to do subreports.

When you create a report, you can do a subreport, the subreport can be placed on your "master" report whenever it needs to be. The subreport then only prints those items that you specify.

mike
    Mike Reed
    Phoenix, AZ

Comment

Randall

Please post an example of what you are doing.

It should be 2 groupings - one at primary and the other at the C level.

It's impractical to answer the questions without an example.
      Al Buchholz
      Bookwood Systems, LTD
      Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
      Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
      "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
      Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Would a simple order of the report work. that is order the report on the key field and then by the field(c1,c2 etc). for example, a database of warranty expirations could have a field for warranty years(numeric) and also the exact exiration date(date). report could order on years(key field) then specific date. if fields were warranty(numeric key field) and expiration(date) order could be like str(warranty,19,5)+cdate(expiration)

Comment

Thanks all for quick responses.

Mike, the Sub-report was what I was seeking.
          There was not much listed in the book for it, except for a mention in the toolbox, but it worked!
          Another roadblock removed!

Thanks again.
          Randy

Comment

I think the subreport is an overkill for what you are looking for.

Sub reports are designed for multiple one to many relationships, but can be used for other things too.

But what you've described of what you want is much more simple.....

KISS is the principle to follow....
            Al Buchholz
            Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
            Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
            When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi Al,

My request was simplified.

The real example was for each key_field
              having 21 questions (C1-C21) (instead of C1-C5)
              and each Cx having 1 to many responses.

So..
              Key Field
              C1 ----- |subreport1
              Response |
              Response |
              Response |
              C2 ------ |subreport2
              Response |
              C3 ------ |subreport3
              Response |
              Response |
              Response |
              Response |
              Response |
              C21 ------ |21
              Response |
              Response |
              Next key Field

I just finished the subreports and the test sample works.
              If you have another solution, I would like to know in case this example
              is less effecient than another method.
              Thanks
              Randy

Comment

Randall

Please post an example so I have something to work with.

If you don't want to post it on the board, then email it to me.
                Al Buchholz
                Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                Albert Einstein

Comment

Al,

Image samples attached.

Comments.dbf is sample dbf showing Key Field (Code) and 21 opportunities for comments. Each Cx value can have from one to many comments for the Key Field.

Preview: CSTL_RPT is my output showing each question (1-21) with responses/comments. This is the solution I am seeking, but am curious on other methods to achieve the same result.

To the right is the Report Editor showing how I currentlly use subreports to effect the output shown.

Thanks for looking,
                  Randy

Comment

Sorry I meant upload an example database. Otherwise it's too much work to try to recreate.
                    Al Buchholz
                    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Al,
                      Zip file of DB is attached.

This sample seems to work using tables as is.

If you change the key field (Code) to show another key field,
                      then everything changes and the subreports no longer stay together.

In this sample with all rows the same key field, all is grouped together.

With two different Key Field values, the subreports are split to each of the key fields' groups.

I initially thought Subreports would work, not not so sure...

Randy

Comment

Randall

Thanks for sending the example.

It illustrates the disconnect of information for this issue. I misunderstood your original premise.

You have a structure with all of the fields in a single record.

The grouping options for Alpha are for different records to be grouped together... not different fields. The subreport is a tool that helps with the parallel grouping of data in multiple one to many relationships, but usually in different tables rather than different fields.

Does this data come to you in this denormailized form (ie horizontally) or is the data available in a more vertical form?

To report the data from the format that you have, I'd first convert it to a more vertical form - hence the question - was it already in a vertical form?
                        Al Buchholz
                        Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                        Albert Einstein

Comment

No. This is how I would get it from an Excel file.

Comment

My sample reply database has a script to turn

Code:
                            CODE	C1	C2	C3	C4
                            85833	This is Comment for C1	This is Comment for C2	This is Comment for C3	No Comments Provided
                            85833	This is Comment for C1	This is Comment for C2	This is Comment for C3	 
                            into

Code:
                            CODE	COM_LN	COM_DTL
                            85832	C2	Only one comment
                            85833	C1	This is Comment for C1
                            85833	C2	This is Comment for C2
                            85833	C3	This is Comment for C3
                            85833	C4	No Comments Provided
                            85833	C5	This is Comment for C5
                            85833	C6	This is Comment for C6
                            85833	C7	This is Comment for C7
                            85833	C8	This is Comment for C8
                            85833	C10	This is Comment for C10
                            85833	C11	This is Comment for C11
                            85833	C12	This is Comment for C12
                            85833	C13	This is Comment for C13
                            85833	C14	This is Comment for C14
                            85833	C15	This is Comment for C15
                            85833	C16	This is Comment for C16
                            85833	C17	This is Comment for C17
                            85833	C18	This is Comment for C18
                            85833	C19	This is Comment for C19
                            85833	C20	This is Comment for C20
                            85833	C21	This is Comment for C21
                            85833	C1	This is Comment for C1
                            85833	C2	This is Comment for C2
                            85833	C3	This is Comment for C3
                            85833	C5	This is Comment for C5
                            85833	C6	This is Comment for C6
                            85833	C7	This is Comment for C7
                            85833	C8	This is Comment for C8
                            and a considerably simpler report.
                            There can be only one.

Comment

I did a similar script, but slightly different....

Stan always does a better and faster job.....

Happy Thanksgiving...
                              Al Buchholz
                              Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X