Alpha Video Training

Thread: Why Is there no Database Design Flow Charting Tool

Real Name
    Francis

Default Why Is there no Database Design Flow Charting Tool

Hi Francis here

I'm curious as to why there is no internal flow charting tool that can be used to design the structure of a programme, application or database - many years ago I used to use one that was based on this process and it assist the logic and suggest the appropriate code to design the solution around. could this be made possible - I believe it's what missing - just one more thing it's would need to be Bi-directional, this what you could produce a logical flowchart from the programming scripts etc.

Thanks all comments would be appriciated

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    unactive

Default Re: Why Is there no Database Design Flow Charting Tool

Quote Originally Posted by gigels0070 View Post
    Hi Francis here

I'm curious as to why there is no internal flow charting tool that can be used to design the structure of a programme, application or database - many years ago I used to use one that was based on this process and it assist the logic and suggest the appropriate code to design the solution around. could this be made possible - I believe it's what missing - just one more thing it's would need to be Bi-directional, this what you could produce a logical flowchart from the programming scripts etc.

Thanks all comments would be appriciated
    If you are planning to use sql there are plenty of third party tools for that, use them. On the other hand if you are talking here .dbf files and desktop you have a point. But because Alpha is now in Version 10 and we don't have any flow charting tool yet I think desktop developers don't need it.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

It has been asked for several times. There is not a dire need for it, but convenience would be nice.

We also went through dos days without it too.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    unactive

To anybody who is interested from databases here is a good slideshow to start learning:

First Chapter : http://www.slideshare.net/koolkampus/ch01
    SQL : http://www.slideshare.net/koolkampus/ch04
    Last Chapter: http://www.slideshare.net/koolkampus/ch24

Real Name
    Francis

Thanks Guys, But I believe you maybe wrong, the type of add-in application I am talking of is an interactive flow charting database design programme which allows the novice programmer (which little or no experience) through to a professional (with mega experience) to process their DB application design idea in a format using a logic layout in which rules of constraint apply, this would then ensure that the basic outline of an idea works and would give those who need it the programming content which maybe typically used within that set of circumstances - So I still think it would be worth while I know that I personally suffer from carrouselling which basically is where I get stumped as to where to get on and off the design process this is very frustrating - where as by converting a flow chart representation of your own thoughts which are constrained by the logical programming rules

So people let so your support for such a add-in fo Alpha that way I can then manage my idea's much better - also just one last thing it would be a lot easier to convey your application design ideas to others without the programming knowledge

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    unactive

Quote Originally Posted by gigels0070 View Post
    many years ago I used to use one that was based on this process and it assist the logic and suggest the appropriate code to design the solution around. could this be made possible
    And the name of this program was?

Real Name
    Francis

Hi Ken For the life of me I cannot remember but I'm still trying it was about twenty-five years ago and basically you made the flowchart by following the logic allowed then you could see the programme code before you compiled it. It was brilliant to learn various techniques of coding when you have the visual perception but not always the coding one. I strongly believe that there are an awful lot of budding programmers out there, who just get lost in the myriad of classes, routines, etc and other script choices probably that they don't even know exist and ones which even if they did know existed to decide which maybe the better to use. I just think that to fully understand the client or user remit of an application it should be designed from that aspect and not just from the technological programming knowledge of the author, if you build it as you want to see it working then the user will always make best use of it. Plus as a bonus it would cut down on programming time.

When I remember the name I'll post it up - never come across one since. Have looked at many that create a flow from code and some that say they do in reverse but none which are truly Flowchart WYSIWYG friendly in the GUI

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Francis,

I remember it too. like dbase2/dbase4 or clipper, foxpro, or something else. It allowed you the same opportunities as alpha's set designer. It was just more graphic.

I remember having lines all over the place and hated a table that invariably wound up off the screen?

Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46