Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha5 desktop app on the server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha5 desktop app on the server

Does anyone have experience installing Alpha5 on the server to gain some of the functionality not offered by the WAS?

Would you just install the developers version or create a desktop app to install on the server?

I searched this topic but didn't get any matches. If some one has done this please explain how and why? In other words what functionality did you gain by putting Alpha on your server?

What was it that the desktop could do that the WAS couldn't?
    Is this technique now obsolete?

Tks
    Bob

Re: Alpha5 desktop app on the server

You can use T/S (Terminal Server, or in 2008R2 Terminal Services) or you can use a WAN (wide area network)

Both are typically used by remote users. T/S is very fast, but limited in the number of concurrent users. A WAN is very very very slow, unless you have an extraordinarily fast broadband.

To answer the question 'What can the desktop do the web can't' is a tough question, and really would need you to be a developer who has been around a few years, but the quick answer would be "A LOT."
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by martinwcole View Post
      'What can the desktop do the web can't' is a tough question, and really would need you to be a developer who has been around a few years, but the quick answer would be "A LOT."
      That's so mean! :( You better watch out or Lenny might come after you. ;)
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I have a client where I installed the Developer and Unlimited runtime on a Citrix Server.

The users log on to Citrix and each has their own desktop.
        Multiple users then run payroll and billing on Citrix.
        They do not have Alpha installed on their computers.

They are almost 1000 miles away and it worksjust as if they were running it on their own computers.

I am 500 miles away and I do all of the developing work on the Citrix.
        I have had no problems for over 2 years.

Charlie Crimmel

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of xbasic functions and scripts and use of the email client on the server interacting with the WAS via the browser and email.

Using a remote connection and a desktop app sounds interesting.
          I use to do that with PC anywhere before the cloud rolled in.

Anyone else have an example of utilizing the a5 developer on a server in conjunction with the WAS?

Tks
          Bob

Comment

Bob,

We don't run WAS, but we do run many "Batch" type jobs on the server. Many times during the day, when users are on the system, we are not able to do clean-up or massive post operations. We schedule jobs to run at specified times during the night and on weekends for this purpose. It has really been a great help. If you design the "Batch" app correctly, it can (and should) run completely unattended.

Tom

Comment

Tom, have yall moved to 2008R2, yet. My IT guy and I cannot get programs to run using the Task Manager - they run fine when run manually, but they start and then stop under the TaskManager - can't figure out what setting is blocking us.
              972 524 8714
              [email protected]

Comment

Bob, I'm not sure on this, but my intuition is that you don't need to open the program as a desktop app; you need to learn how to use xbasic in the WAS - however, since the real WAS pros are in the WAS forum, I would pose this question there.
                972 524 8714
                [email protected]

Comment

No. Our v10 system is server 2003.

Our v5 server is NT4.x !!!

Tom

Comment

Well ... not much help. 2008 is pretty kool, but it is much much much more complicated to setup. One greate improvement with the new T/S is that the remote user's default printer IS the default printer for the remote user. Great improvement over T/S 2003.
                    972 524 8714
                    [email protected]

Comment

Thanks Martin,

I did send it around the horn on the app server forum. It was there that I learned that installing the desktop on the WAS might add some functionality.

Trying to develop email scripts on the WAS raised these questions. I'm trying to understand both environments a little better.

A diagram or flow chart would help if one exists.
                      Tks
                      Bob

Comment

I am not a web developer, but my intuition is that this is NOT the way to go.

The WAS should have email capability, and user's addresses could be kept in a table.
                        972 524 8714
                        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by martinwcole View Post
                          I am not a web developer, but my intuition is that this is NOT the way to go.

The WAS should have email capability, and user's addresses could be kept in a table.
                          I think .NET in Alpha will change this in near future.

Comment

To Rest

Thanks you for your help. Sometimes it is difficult to get a birds eye view of Alpha or a clear answer. Let me just put one thing to rest if some one has a yes or no answer.

If I create a script with the email Genie does it exist on the WAS and can it be used, "as is,"assuming the associated database is present?

I guess many would say, "Try it Bob." So in the mean time I will and if some one doesn't beat me to the punch I will get back to, "youall!"

Tks
                            Bob

Comment

The WAS is the WAS and the Desktop is the Desktop. Only the guy "sitting at the computer" can see the Desktop version. Anyone accessing your WAS application via the internet has absolutely no access to your Desktop application. ("Sitting at the computer" is a vague term today because of remote access and T/S situations but hopefully you understand the implication.)

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that you can't create scripts and functions (see note at the end) in your desktop app and use them in your WAS application. (From here on "scripts" refers to "scripts and functions".) As long as your desktop scripts don't try to run "user interface" actions such as showing message boxes, opening forms, etc., most things can be used on the WAS.

However, e-mail does get rather tricky. You can use the WAS to send e-mail but only from whomever you set it to be from. This may sound rather odd but I had one potential customer who wanted to set it up so that anybody who logged in from anywhere on the internet could send e-mail as though it was from that person's own e-mail address and they wanted it so show up in that person's 'sent' mailbox if possible. As far as I know, there is no reasonable way to do that and I don't think anyone will be working on it soon.

I'd have to do some digging to find out how I send e-mail from the WAS but it probably wouldn't do you a lot of good because all my WAS work has been hard coded so far so. (I've only developed a couple significant WAS apps and one was started before any web components existed and both require displaying at least 500 lines on one page - something web components can't do. At least I don't think they can yet. Previous versions went 'tilt' at 50-100 lines. My oldest web app is sometimes used to show over 5000 lines on one page.)

As far as how to use the scripts that were created on the desktop, there are a number or ways and they are detailed in the Help files. Basically you can save the necessary scripts in the web page they are used in, you can save all of them on one web page and include that web page in your other pages, and you can create an aex file that the WAS can load. (try searching on "was aex" for a starter) Oops! I almost forgot - I'm guessing there must be some way to include them in web components but, as already noted, I haven't used them much other than to play around a bit as a learning experience.

In another vein, it is possible for a desktop application that runs on the same server as the WAS to access the same data as the WAS and manipulate it via regular desktop forms, etc. Although I haven't done it, I believe this makes sense for some applications such as an on-line ordering system. In that case, the customer's on-line orders could be handled via the desktop application where it might be easier to set up the necessary in-house features and the on-line users would be able to see status changes in real time - no waiting for you to download orders then upload status.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure you can run a regular script in the WAS. I know you can call functions but I don't think I've ever tried a "script_play()" in the WAS and don't think I've ever seen any reference to doing that. Anyone know for sure?

Comment

Working...
                              X