Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Five 2011 Plans & Announcing - a comprehensive Alpha Five Subscription Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha Five 2011 Plans & Announcing - a comprehensive Alpha Five Subscription Plan

http://bit.ly/hA26Mm
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

Re: Alpha Five 2011 Plans & Announcing - a comprehensive Alpha Five Subscription Plan

Richard - not wanting to crunch such a good initiative, but just the other day Alpha offered Full devlopers pack with features included for $696. I know there was an expiry to that offer, but you have admit that offer seems to come around a lot

The offer on your website is $1490 if you already have the developers pack. While I can see the addition of V11 and other possible features, this does seem a little out of kilter. It would seem you are charging for V11 before it is released - If I go by the release of V10 it took quite some time after the anticipated date.

What about a simple maintenance agreement from purchase. Eg: the norm is an annual 15% to 20% from purchase with the first 12month free
    -----------------------------------------------
    Regards
    Mark Pearson
    [email protected]
    Youtube channel
    Website

Comment

Re: Alpha Five 2011 Plans & Announcing - a comprehensive Alpha Five Subscription Plan

Thanks for your message.

There are a lot of reasons behind this offer.

a) A lot of customers want to budget for software and want to predict what their costs will be. We have been hearing requests for a long time for a subscription plan from these customers and so we have responded.

b) You get a full suite of Alpha Five v10.5 software, add-ons and feature packs now under this plan

c) Version 11 is shaping up to be a tremendous product with more features packs than v10. If you were to add up the anticipated costs of buying ala-carte vs using the "fixed price" subscription plan that we have just announced, it will end up being a very smart move in terms of savings

Of course we continue to give people the choice of buying each product or add-on or feature pack or webinar as they see fit.

Sincerely
      Richard Rabins
      Co Chairman
      Alpha Software

Comment

I have to agree with Clunes, I have the developer, server, runtime, some add on’s, video’s and all the service packs, I also had most of these with V9 as well. Seems like there should be a loyal customer intro even if it is only a percentage of purchases above the price of V10 or 10.5 alone.

Comment

Stephen if you own v10 or v10.5 you do qualify for loyalty customer discount

It is laid out in the section of mailing where you go and sign up for the plan.
          Richard Rabins
          Co Chairman
          Alpha Software

Comment

I like the idea of the subscription but I'm in two minds about the price. If the existing owners price was $1000 I would probably have jumped at it but at $1499 I'm a little hesitant. I feel for Alpha as pricing a product is difficult and everyone has their own view on what it is worth to them. I suspect somewhere in the middle is probably a good price. Maybe $1200 which would work out at $100 a month based on a new version every 12 months. Not sure what developers are charging per/hour these days but for many I'm sure that is less than what they charge for an hours work.

Mark and Stephen, out of interest what price would you consider to be fair?

Comment

While I like the idea of having a developer subscription to software I find the A5 pricing too rich for me.

Comparitively, as a registered partner (no charge to sign up as a registered partner) with Microsoft I can subscribe to their action pack for designers and developers for less than $450 per year. That includes Visual Studio, SQL Server, Expression Web, Office Pro Plus and host of other things including limited free tech support. This is something I have planned to do.
              Regards,

John W.
              www.CustomReportWriters.net

Comment

Microsoft has had this plan in place for years and we think it is an excellent plan. If you as a developer would prefer to build your web database applications using their development tools and if you don't care about the major time (and implicit cost) savings that Alpha Five delivers (and will deliver even more of in v11,) then you should not sign up for this plan.

The reality that we are experiencing however, is that large numbers of developers are coming over to Alpha because they do see the economic and business benefits as measured in time and cost savings that result from using Alpha Five vs Visual Studio (or PHP or Ruby or Coldfusion or Java etc.)

To get practical - customers who have switched are reporting development time improvements ranging from 2x to 10x.

Lets take an example at 2x.

If a project for a client or an internal project for a client takes 200 hours in Visual Studio and 100 hours in Alpha Five and if you assume an hourly rate of $100 per hour then the 100 hour savings is 10K. If you assume an hourly rate of $50 per hour then the savings is 5K. If you take the productivity improvement factor up to say 4x then the savings move to 20K and 10K respectively.
                Richard Rabins
                Co Chairman
                Alpha Software

Comment

This is certainly an interesting offer. However, I think Alpha should show the credit those of us will get that already have most of the v10.5 products. Furthermore I dare say, most of us don't need another v10.5.

What will the offer be after this one. There are more offers than carter's got pills and it's gotten to the point for me to where each new offer is more confusing than the previous one. I just delete them, the same as I do the spam.

Alpha is asking us to spend $$$ that is not budgeted and to do it no later than 12/29/10. Additionally, the offer is based on an urgency which is too much like a infomercial, Hurry, call within the next 15 minutes and get.....

See my point, Alpha is taking on a new image, one of hype and promises, an image I don't like. There is a much better way to market this.

kenn
                  TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Originally posted by forskare View Post
                    This is certainly an interesting offer. However, I think Alpha should show the credit those of us will get that already have most of the v10.5 products. Furthermore I dare say, most of us don't need another v10.5.

What will the offer be after this one. There are more offers than carter's got pills and it's gotten to the point for me to where each new offer is more confusing than the previous one. I just delete them, the same as I do the spam.

Alpha is asking us to spend $$$ that is not budgeted and to do it no later than 12/29/10. Additionally, the offer is based on an urgency which is too much like a infomercial, Hurry, call within the next 15 minutes and get.....

See my point, Alpha is taking on a new image, one of hype and promises, an image I don't like. There is a much better way to market this.

kenn
                    Kenn thanks for your comments. The plan does offer credit for people who have v10.5 or v10. Regarding the 12/29 date, this is not an unusual approach. Dell, Apple, Toyota, Adobe and tons of other companies use deadlines as part of normal business practice. With regards to your comment about "hype and promises," I simply think that the comment is very unfair and is not supported by the facts nor the sentiment of our rapidly growing customer base of developers and users ranging from small business to large companies world wide. in addition if we were hyping up a poor product, we would not be getting the outstanding reviews in the press, Finally I want to re-iterate that you can continue buying the way you always have - the plan is optional and is in response to requests from customers.

Sincerely and Best wishes for the Season
                    Richard Rabins
                    Co Chairman
                    Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Rabins View Post
                      Kenn thanks for your comments. The plan does offer credit for people who have v10.5 or v10. Regarding the 12/29 date, this is not an unusual approach. Dell, Apple, Toyota, Adobe and tons of other companies use deadlines as part of normal business practice. With regards to your comment about "hype and promises," I simply think that the comment is very unfair and is not supported by the facts nor the sentiment of our rapidly growing customer base of developers and users ranging from small business to large companies world wide. in addition if we were hyping up a poor product, we would not be getting the outstanding reviews in the press, Finally I want to re-iterate that you can continue buying the way you always have - the plan is optional and is in response to requests from customers.

Sincerely and Best wishes for the Season
                      Hi Richard,

That was not my point. Yes, those companies and many others as well do have those types of deadlines. What I'm referring to is this:

One of the selling points is so that folks can budget and then in the next breath, we have 10 days or so to take advantage of the offer. That's hardly time to budget a $1,500 purchase, at least fore me.

Unfair to say 'hype' and 'promises'? Perhaps so and then again, from my perspective, that's what I see. There's hardly a week that goes by w/o a sale. The ads are long and when I see them so often, it gives me the appearance of hype.

As far as the promises, no release date is mentioned except some time in 2011.

Here's where I'm at: I have A5v10.5, the RT and the App Server as well as the Application Packs that fit my needs. Alpha is now asking me to spend $1,500 for something I might not get until as much as year from now and that's no guarantee.

I have to ask:

1. Will it be worth it to give Alpha $1,500 now?
                      2. Will the product be that good? (My guess is it will)
                      3. Can I use the $1,500 better somewhere else at this time?
                      4. How much will I really save?
                      5. What will the pricing be if I wait to purchase v11 when it comes out?
                      6. What types of Application packs will there be in 2011 or beyond?

My answers:
                      1. I won't know until V11 is released.
                      2. While my guess is it will, that's just a guess.
                      3. For sure! There's no doubt about that!
                      4. I have no clue!
                      5. I have no clue!
                      6. I have no clue!

While the customer loyalty sales I've seen last 30 days or more, Alpha's will last a total of 10 days or so. Furthermore, it couldn't come at a worse time of the year. Christmas is spendy.

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Kenn I understand where you are coming from. That is absolutely fine. The plan will make sense for some people now and not for others. We have smart customers and I am sure most people will evaluate their situation and needs and will make the decision that works for them at any moment in time.

I do want to add that we are committed to ensuring that people who do go for the plan will feel that they receive excellent value for their money
                        Best regards
                        Last edited by Richard Rabins; 12-23-2010, 10:03 PM.
                        Richard Rabins
                        Co Chairman
                        Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Rabins View Post
                          The plan will make sense for some people now and not for others. We have smart customers
                          IT IS SAD that customer has to think if he is smart or not when he is thinking to commit Alpha Five Subscription Plan. Advantages should be clear to everybody. Now they are not.

Comment

Originally posted by kkfin View Post
                            IT IS SAD that customer has to think if he is smart or not when he is thinking to commit Alpha Five Subscription Plan. Advantages should be clear to everybody. Now they are not.
                            You completely missed the point!

Comment

Originally posted by kkfin View Post
                              Ken

let me see if can shed some light on this question.

Time Period = Now until some time in 2012 (It depends on when 2011 ships.)

Dollars involved if you buy the products separately = Cost of Alpha Five v11 and any smaller releases (developer, plus runtime, plus app server) + Cost of each Feature Pack (v11 will have more Feature Packs than v10/v10.5) + Cost of each add on + Cost of each webinar +Cost of each book.

Lets call this cost z dollars.

The cost of the Alpha Five Developer Subscription plan = $1499 assuming you have v10/10.5 or $1899 if you dont.

The Subscription plan will be less money than z dollars (including taking into account coupons and specials we may run for buying separately through the course of the year.)

In addition if you work in a corporation where everytime we realease a new product/feature pack/add-on, you need to go and get permission to purchase. Under the Subscription Plan you only have to get the "OK" once during the time period involved.

Even though there has been a fair amount of discussion on this thread about the plan, I can say that the feedback which have received privately, via email and the phone, has been extremely positive and the sign ups so far have exceeded our expectations.

Again i want to mention that this plan is purely another optional way of acquiring your Alpha License (YOU CAN STILL PURCHASE SEPARATELY AND CHOOSE ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS.)

I hope this makes things clearer for you Ken
                              Richard Rabins
                              Co Chairman
                              Alpha Software

Comment

Working...
                              X